what type of suitcase

cheerldrmom

Doesn't really matter eventually they'll get a cracked wheel or broken zipper. Just don't go and buy something expensive, unless you don't care too much if it gets damaged.

I only use soft sided luggage, usually a 21" with wheels. I never pack more than I can carry (lift up into trains or have to carry if the wheels break). Its up to you. Just be sure to make it an UGLY or DISTINCTIVE pattern/color or bling it up with colored tape/decals so you can spot it and others won't think its theirs.

I prefer soft-sided luggage for two reasons.

1) Unless you buy the very expensive ones, hard-sided is going to weigh more.

2) I don't like suitcases that open in the middle. They take up more space while packing/unpacking than my little house has.

Number of suitcases will vary by individuals and what they feel they need to take with them. Some people can travel for a month with a 21" carry-on. I am not one of those. I take one 28" suitcase for a short cruise (under two weeks).

Hi - we've used soft-side luggage on all our cruises and our Jet Blue flights out of Boston. No problems so far. Our bigger concern is with the weight of the luggage given the weight limits on checked bags - soft side usually weighs less.

Number of bags we take depends on the length of the cruise. People always say take half the clothes and twice the amount of money you think you will need!

These days you can get hard-side bags that weigh practically nothing! Personally, I prefer the hard-side and have a soft-side for my carry-on. It's really personal preference.

I just purchased a new suitcase for my upcoming trip since I'm spending time before and after and will be traveling for almost three weeks. It's the largest size Delta will allow me to check and it has tons of room. :D I take only one because I don't want to check more than that and have to pay fees for it.

What type and how many suitcases do you bring on your cruise. Was thinking of purchasing a hard cover suitcase. Have always had the soft. Thoughts????

We own these carry-on sized hardshell spinners:

RicardoLuggage.jpg

and last spring bought these IT-Luggage 3.5lb 2-wheelers:

71E--KNiuUL._UX385_.jpg

We travel with these 20-22" roll-aboards and a standard-size no-name daypack apiece, for up to 26-day cruise + travel days (so far).

When we took my mom on the Cape Horn cruise, we did check one additional carry-on sized suitcase between us, with dinner clothes, a third pair of shoes each, and down vests that we never needed or wore. In other words, only checked things that we could live and cruise without if they didn't make it our departure port.

The spinners are nice IN the airport where floors are smooth and level. But the wheels are delicate and take up interior room. However they DO expand out if you think you might be bringing home more than you took! (Must be checked if expanded of course.)

Also note if you travel with carry-on only, you need to be *ready* to gate check the larger of your bags -- make sure medications and all batteries are in the smaller.

Edited by crystalspin

I use soft sided but have had the zippers destroyed by airlines. So hard sided might be insurance on the $50. charge by airlines who will surely mangle your luggage. These are heavy duty zippers I'm talking about. It amazes me how the airlines do the damage they do. I always carry a roll of duct tape in checked baggage to repair the damage. The damage on top of the $50. fee is theft, but what can you do?

Edited by jamessemaj

We used wheeled bags.

For the ones we check, 28" with suiters in them which allow you to hand up certain items.

We do use soft sided.

For carry on the soft sided has the extra benefit of having a zippered section in the front for computers, iPads, etc.

Keith

What type and how many suitcases do you bring on your cruise. Was thinking of purchasing a hard cover suitcase. Have always had the soft. Thoughts????

A suitcase is only as good as the materials it's made with and the quality of construction. About four years ago, we needed new luggage. We went on line and read reviews. We went to several department stores and looked at several brands, both soft-sided and hard-shelled. Ultimately, we chose Samsonite soft-sided suitcases. We each bought one 25" bag and one carry-on size. They've held up pretty well so far. There are a few black marks from riding on the conveyor belts at the airports we've been through, but that's considered normal wear and tear. I'm very happy with our choice and wouldn't hesitate to buy the same thing again. I highly recommend that you choose some other color besides black. Go to any airport (or cruise port) and what color suitcase do you most commonly see? Black. Choose something that stands out and is easy to find in a sea of suitcases. Pink, purple, lime green, fluorescent orange. Having something different from everyone else's will also help prevent someone from grabbing your luggage by mistake.;)

Over the years, we have learned to reduce all of the clothes we NEED and now travel with one large case each and one carry-on piece piece of luggage. My hand bag is always a large one[meds, wallet,eye glasses, jewelry and travel docs] and DH carries on the electronics in his computer bag. We also pack a soft duffle bag which gets used on the return flight for laundry so that we can safely pack any special items we purchase in a carry on. DH has a Tumi rolling/folding suit case that he bought at the Outlet center nearby and has had excellent luck with its durability. I have a Travel Pro rolling case, [again, great closeout sale at the Outlets]; so far so good. Yes, we do have weird colored ties and luggage tags to help identify the luggage as it tumbles onto the airport carousel.

We have been away for up to a month and always return with a few items we didn't wear. We still pack formal attire, mix and match clothing, use the ship's laundry. For two weeks prior to a trip, the guest room is a mess with clothing - what shoes to pack to match with various outfits, cross packing just in case - though in over 100 cruises, we've never had a missing luggage issue.

Given the cost of flying, luggage fees, seat selection fees, we do OK with our soft sided rolling luggage.

Darcy

We use wheeled softside luggage. For a 7 day cruise we share one 26" and one carryon which is an 18" backpack.

For our longer cruises (23-33 days), we add a 28" suitcase and we also take an additional backpack carryon.

We have cheapest wheeled suitcases bought a long time ago at ebags.com

We have personalized bright yellow luggage straps which help us quickly identify our two suitcases.

Edited by NMLady

I have to fly to all my cruise ports so unless my flight includes hold luggage I always bring hand luggage and a large hand bag. Suit case is 11x14x9 (inches ) I can get 2 weeks worth of clothes a pair of shoes and make-up. Handbag has Sandals, swimwear and phone /kindle. If flights includes luggage I bring a 21 inch case.☺

Last cruise we did was 11 nt and bf and I shared a 19" carry on and we each had a backpack. Our 19" is soft sided that expands. It seems very heavy duty, but we never check our bags so we don't worry about the handlers destroying them. I always wonder about people who get the 3 pound luggage made out of extremely thin nylon if they end up ripping. I bought a wheeled bag a few years ago made out of the thin nylon and only checked it twice (once going and once coming back) and used it a few times for road trips and it is ripping already.

Edited by whataboutport

The IT bags we have are "made from high density polyester fabric and feature a lightweight and durable fiberglass frame with an aluminum top handle, top and side grab handles for easy lifting, and smooth rolling wheels that make them easy to maneuver." "The high-density polyester and fiberglass frame are ultra-strong and are built for optimum strength while maintaining a light weight packing case."

Not to sound like an advertisement! We really like these bags; the wide retracting handle means the back (bottom as you pack) is flat without the two raised "tubes" most wheeled cases have (even the hard-shells). We can't remember for sure if we've had to gate-check them, but have used them on our TransAtlantic/Med cruise, two domestic trips, and a land tour of Morocco where they were loaded every other day under the bus with bigger/heavier/hard cases.

The newer version of the Lightest Carryon (which should be 3rd Generation but is for some reason called "Los Angeles"), has an upper outside pocket that adds one ounce to the weight and somewhat impairs access to the lower one. I thought I missed the upper pocket, but I don't like the shorter zipper on the new lower pocket! Anyway -- ODDLY, the newer version's description on the eBags site does not specify what the fabric is! I do wonder if they have gone to nylon???

New one, $55 and two outer pockets:

http://www.ebags.com/product/it-luggage/worlds-lightest-los-angeles-2-wheel-219-carry-on/298752?productid=10375087&rlid=DETAIL_AI

Old one, $7 cheaper and accessible large outer pocket:

http://www.ebags.com/product/it-luggage/worlds-lightest-it-0-1-second-generation-22-2-wheeled-carry-on/272848?productid=10300417&rlid=DETAIL_AI

IMHO doesn't matter whatevery you got works

I just purchased a new suitcase for my upcoming trip since I'm spending time before and after and will be traveling for almost three weeks. It's the largest size Delta will allow me to check and it has tons of room. :D I take only one because I don't want to check more than that and have to pay fees for it.

You better consider the weight limit. The largest bag Delta will allow will hold more than the 50 pound limit and the overweight fee far exceeds the second bag fee.

Edited by Cuizer2

For years I had the two wheel soft side. Due to a wrist injury with lasting effects, I had a hard time with the two wheel on airplanes. Recently purchased a hard side carry on with spinner wheels. I love it. Can easily wheel through airports and down the center aisle of plane, train or bus (or cruise hallway). I was concerned about the packing capacity, but on a recent three day trip, a co-worker and I shared the case and fit everything for two women in that carry on. I was amazed. We are snorkelers and bring our own fins and mask, so also need a 24" or larger for those.

We have 2 Eddie Bauer bags. They call them a drop bottom rolling duffle. The size is 26"H x 16"W x 14"D. You can pack a ton of stuff in them and they are very lightweight and durable. They handle the airlines abuse perfectly.

You mean like this (the link is to a 30 second video) ...

We can pretty much get by with one carryon apiece. But then there is the restriction on size of liquid containers, the occasional need for Arctic-class coats, etc, and we can quickly talk ourselves into a third small bag shared between us. Plus my backpack for camera gear. We've gravitated to hard shell cases, particularly those that have an expansion zipper. I've never traveled with one in expanded mode, but if the suitcase is overloaded then closing it while expanded, then zipping up the expansion portion can be a useful tactic.