Docking in St. Thomas? Which port?

We were in St Thomas in March on Silhouette. Very disappointed in the lack of effort to recover from the hurricanes - as though they expect everything to be done for them. Contrast with St Maarten where the constant background noise was hammers and saws. Next time we're in St Thomas we'll stay on ship.

We were in St Thomas in March on Silhouette. Very disappointed in the lack of effort to recover from the hurricanes - as though they expect everything to be done for them. Contrast with St Maarten where the constant background noise was hammers and saws. Next time we're in St Thomas we'll stay on ship.

Unbelievable..........:rolleyes:

Perhaps the Dutch and French governments are helping their territory more than the US is helping its territory?

All RCI ships dock at Crown Bay due to an agreement signed with the VI Port Authority in Dec 2015 and commenced in Oct 2016. This is a 10 year agreement with an option to renew.

I miss docking at Havensight.

Anthem docked at Havensight on my 12/2/17 cruise.

If they're not willing to help themselves why should I?

Because they have limited resources other than tourism, and a current federal government that seemingly refuses to admit territories are part of the country full of US citizens who occasionally need help.

All RCI ships dock at Crown Bay due to an agreement signed with the VI Port Authority in Dec 2015 and commenced in Oct 2016. This is a 10 year agreement with an option to renew.

I miss docking at Havensight.

Where does Anthem dock in St. Thomas?

Havensight.

Havensight

There are two, not "a few". Havensight and Crown Bay. Unless something extraordinary happens, as Bob said, Freedom will dock at Havensight.

If you look at the VI Cruise ship schedule both Oasis & Allure are docking at Havensight starting May 17,2016.:confused:

http://www.v i n o w.com/cruise/ship-schedule/5-2016/ (Remove spaces from V I N O W)

Which is it? If there’s an agreement to dock at crown bay, why is everyone saying they dock at Havensight?

Also, why do people hate Crown Bay? I’ll be docking in St Thomas in a month on Freedom, should I be crossing my fingers we dock at Havensight for some reason?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Which is it? If there’s an agreement to dock at crown bay, why is everyone saying they dock at Havensight?

Also, why do people hate Crown Bay? I’ll be docking in St Thomas in a month on Freedom, should I be crossing my fingers we dock at Havensight for some reason?

Take a look at the dates of many of the quotes you took...someone resurrected a 2016 thread, when it appears Havensight was the default for most. That apparently has changed.

We did a private 3 hour tour of St Maarten in early March. I totally disagree with your statement that St. Maarten is recovering well from the hurricane. We walked Orient beach and absolutely nothing has been done. Most of the restaurants in Grand Case are closed. Phillipsburg still has many closed stores and restaurants. Very few hotels are open anywhere on the island. The only road into Anse Marcel is closed by the government. St. Maarten will not be ready for vacationers in 2019. Maybe a few cruise ship groups but visitors wanting to spend time on the island will have to look elsewhere. We already booked 2 weeks in Barbados to replace our time in St. M.

This thread was dredged up from the history books and is over two years old...hence your confusion.

When you use the Crown Point docking area, which is now the new contracted docking facility for RCI....compared to what you were used to in Havensight....you will know.

When you use the Crown Point docking area, which is now the new contracted docking facility for RCI....compared to what you were used to in Havensight....you will know.

Sure, but I imagine the vast majority of people will never cruise to both and won't know the difference. Including me...I've never been to either. Will be at Crown Point next week, and I know it's farther from where I am ultimately heading (St John), but won't be able to compare it to anything else, and that will be the case for most people I imagine.

We stopped in St.Thomas in December on the Oasis and got our 2nd experience at Crown (was also there in July '17 on the Adventure). Due to the hurricane damage we headed up to Sapphire Beach. We had gone to Lindquist in July but the hotel there was still rebuilding. We had a great day at Sapphire. The people there were most grateful to have tourists there. We listened to several stories from them about what it had been like on the island during and since the storms. We also stopped in downtown Charlotte Amalie for short shopping excursion. Beach was great. After being fortunate enough to visit here numerous times, we are pretty much over shopping downtown.

Couple of observations from this dated thread. We really miss Havensight especially for getting over to St.John and many of the other island beaches. The shopping at the dock is really superior at Havensight over Crown and we missed that on both of our stops. Crown shopping is improving but still has long way to go to match or exceed Havensight.

And not to be ugly but staying on the ship doesn't help the island rebound. We had a great day in December. They still have a long way to go in getting things restored. I just hope they can have another decade or so of no big hits from the storms.

Sure, but I imagine the vast majority of people will never cruise to both and won't know the difference. Including me...I've never been to either. Will be at Crown Point next week, and I know it's farther from where I am ultimately heading (St John), but won't be able to compare it to anything else, and that will be the case for most people I imagine.

Easy fix...take a shuttle or taxi to Havensight. We actually walked almost to Crown Point from Havensight one day just for the exercise and to check out down town. You can see it from across the harbor. There are also water taxis that can take you to out islands.

This thread was dredged up from the history books and is over two years old...hence your confusion.

Great, another substitution that is a downgrade [emoji17]

I can rembember when Havensight was nothing. You pretty much had to take a cab or risk your life walking to downtown to partac of any shopping/restaurants/bars

While Havensight is okay, I find some of the shops/restaurants/bars in downtown more intriguing than any of the shops in Havensight.

Sure if you want a quick off and on to buy t-shirts etc. Havensight may be in order. Taking a taxi from Crown Bay past downtown to Havensight is a bit of waste.

Easy fix...take a shuttle or taxi to Havensight. We actually walked almost to Crown Point from Havensight one day just for the exercise and to check out down town. You can see it from across the harbor. There are also water taxis that can take you to out islands.

Don't bother with a taxi/shuttle to Havensight if there's not a ship docked there. We did once just assuming the shops would be open...they weren't...or at least 90% of them weren't.

We did a private 3 hour tour of St Maarten in early March. I totally disagree with your statement that St. Maarten is recovering well from the hurricane. We walked Orient beach and absolutely nothing has been done. Most of the restaurants in Grand Case are closed. Phillipsburg still has many closed stores and restaurants. Very few hotels are open anywhere on the island. The only road into Anse Marcel is closed by the government. St. Maarten will not be ready for vacationers in 2019. Maybe a few cruise ship groups but visitors wanting to spend time on the island will have to look elsewhere. We already booked 2 weeks in Barbados to replace our time in St. M.

I didn't say St Maartens was recovering well. But they are doing much more to help themselves than my countrymen on St Thomas.

Easy fix...take a shuttle or taxi to Havensight.

I'm curious why I would take a taxi to Havensight just to, seemingly, have to take another taxi to Red Hook when I could just take a taxi straight from Crown Bay to Red Hook. Perhaps I'm missing something, but it seems like a waste of time to me.

I'm curious why I would take a taxi to Havensight just to, seemingly, have to take another taxi to Red Hook when I could just take a taxi straight from Crown Bay to Red Hook. Perhaps I'm missing something, but it seems like a waste of time to me.

I was only answering to your first comment. You said you had nothing to compare it to "won't know the difference. Including me...I've never been to either".

This was the way you could compare the two.

Sorry if I tried to help. :confused::o:rolleyes:

I was only answering to your first comment. You said you had nothing to compare it to "won't know the difference. Including me...I've never been to either".

This was the way you could compare the two.

Sorry if I tried to help. :confused::o:rolleyes:

We have docked at both ports.

The first time on Crown Princess we had to get a taxi to the centre where all the jewelry shops were.

The second time on Explorer of the seas we docked and there was quite a few shops close by and it was only a short walk to the centre.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app