Flip Flops in the MDR

deladane

Flip flops should never be worn in the MDR unless they are the more formal Flip flops. I have the two pairs, one pair for around the house and garden and another pair for going out.:D

Too funny. I once did an 11 mile hike in the Grand Canyon, that included traversing two creeks and a 1000 foot elevation change. One of our guides wore flip flops (Tevas I believe). Amazing. "Just gotta know where you're walking."

Edited by Tommy3putts

This, and similar threads, are full of posts where someone was worried about their attire, but guess what? - they were admitted to the MDR!

Its my premise that Celebrity has zero enforcement of any code.

So, if you have actually been turned away from the MDR, please post and detail the reason, I'd like to know.

You know, I went to a Bob Dylan concert a few years ago. I drug my tolerant wife to the show, there was a lot of old and by old I mean I am surprised they weren't in nursing homes people smoking weed in a state where that is still against the law. We were on the fifth song of the set, when for the first time I recognized that he was butchering Lay Lady Lay... The only way I recognized the song was the reference to brass beds. Truly unrecognizable. So, I think it is official Bob Dylan no longer speaks for a generation. In fact he barely speaks, period.

JC

I could barely understand him when he was 30, now he must need a drool wiper on stage with him! :eek:

But if you toke then you would understand Bob. Just saying...

Like I said before , the reason the rules are not enforced is the fact they don't want to lose there job. They told me that straight. Imagine if the lady in flip flops gets told that she cannot enter the MDR and is turned away for violating the dress code. She will whine and cry and give all her excuses true or not as to why she must wear the flip flops and how she was discriminated yadda yadda yadda. These workers on the ship need there job and will NOT stick there neck out and will turn a blind eye. That's is the only reason people are allowed to break dress code. Imagine if 95% of the people are dressed in tuxs and gowns and you show up in your summer dress and flip flops. You will be out of place and as much as people say the don't care , the comments are made. I've heard them myself as the tables are very close to each other.

Princess will turn you away. We witnessed it on an Alaska cruise 3 years ago. Guy never came with a suit jacket. He had to rent one to walk in the dining room only to take it off when he had dinner. Btw princess is owned by Carnival.

This, and similar threads, are full of posts where someone was worried about their attire, but guess what? - they were admitted to the MDR!

Its my premise that Celebrity has zero enforcement of any code.

So, if you have actually been turned away from the MDR, please post and detail the reason, I'd like to know.

I have seen people turned away from the MDR for wearing shorts. Not sports shorts but the sort of "smart" shorts that people might wear on, say, a Golf Course.

Flip flops not allowed even for smart casual wear.

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pant/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) with collared sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. As a courtesy to our guests, we respectfully require and enforce compliance with dress code at the entrance of your restaurant of choice. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the 'Smart Casual and Above: dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

Specialty Restaurants (Including Blu for our AquaClass Guests)

The dress code at Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants is 'Smart Casual and Above' for every night of your cruise. Formal attire is only required in the main dining room on your formal evenings.

Renting Formalwear

Formal evenings call for formal attire. Men can arrange for tailored, elegant formalwear to be delivered directly to your stateroom. To order, visit Cruiseline Formalwear.

I wear flip flops sometimes, even on "formal" nights. True, they are black patent, but still flip flops. On casual nights, I have also been known to wear a flip flop that is leather or rubber...maybe with a few rhinestones etc. It's just ridiculous to take everything so literally. Especially when you point to the old descriptions of formal nights.

If you are dressed nicely, no one will care at all what is on your feet. Nor should anyone be personally offended somehow by what anyone else wears. I don't understand that. It's as though everyone else is a prop in your play, and you don't want them to stray and ruin your atmosphere. Totally absurd.

Watch the Oscars lately? Jeans in fact can be quite formal, if done right. But that's neither here nor there. You are absolutely incorrect with regard to hats. It is disrespectful to wear your hat indoors. That is a cultural given. As for the age tghing....that's just absurd.

My DH would always have to remove his hat even when going over to his mom's for dinner....never a formal event!! This is a very close Italian family with all boys and they would steal food off each other's plates and pull pranks all the time, right at the dinner table but no hats allowed.

However, I worked in a community with a HUGE Eastern Indian and middle eastern population. Many of the employees wore turbans, head wraps / scarves or a close fitting knit hat tied at the top into a knob (not sure what it is called). Persons with chemo might also wear a hat to cover the fact their hair has fallen out. I would dare anyone on a cruise ship to deny them entrance as this being disrespectful to others in the room. Everyone's culture is different. There is no broad brush to indicate what is proper for all based on the opinions and cultures of some. Just sayin!

My DH would always have to remove his hat even when going over to his mom's for dinner....never a formal event!! This is a very close Italian family with all boys and they would steal food off each other's plates and pull pranks all the time, right at the dinner table but no hats allowed.

However, I worked in a community with a HUGE Eastern Indian and middle eastern population. Many of the employees wore turbans, head wraps / scarves or a close fitting knit hat tied at the top into a knob (not sure what it is called). Persons with chemo might also wear a hat to cover the fact their hair has fallen out. I would dare anyone on a cruise ship to deny them entrance as this being disrespectful to others in the room. Everyone's culture is different. There is no broad brush to indicate what is proper for all based on the opinions and cultures of some. Just sayin!

Big difference between head scarves or turbans worn for religious or medical reasons and baseball caps or other hats. That is apples and oranges.

On our first TA the seas were so rough I couldn't walk in my formal night shoes.

I was so worried about wearing my jewelled 'fitflops' to the MDR but had little choice.

And guess what?.........

I live to tell the tale :)

SHOCKING!!!!! :eek: Congrats on being alive to tell your torrid tale of feet deceit!

I wear flip flops sometimes, even on "formal" nights. True, they are black patent, but still flip flops. On casual nights, I have also been known to wear a flip flop that is leather or rubber...maybe with a few rhinestones etc. It's just ridiculous to take everything so literally. Especially when you point to the old descriptions of formal nights.

If you are dressed nicely, no one will care at all what is on your feet. Nor should anyone be personally offended somehow by what anyone else wears. I don't understand that. It's as though everyone else is a prop in your play, and you don't want them to stray and ruin your atmosphere. Totally absurd.

You state how I posted old info yet you clearly say you violated the rules of formal night ??? It's not taking it to literally. It clearly states NO FLIP FLOPS. Can you not read that ? How does it get misinterpreted ? How is that literal. It's stating a fact. I am the puppeteer and you are the puppet. Welcome to the show.

Having cancer and having swelled feet is a touch different. Come on , how can you disrespect people by putting them into the same ball park.

I have seen men wearing "smart" shorts turned away also.

So my "dumb" shorts are OK then? Seriously though, shorts on formal night is about "the only" thing that will get you turned away on formal night and even then there's about a 70% chance you will get in regardless.

Like I said before , the reason the rules are not enforced is the fact they don't want to lose there job. They told me that straight. Imagine if the lady in flip flops gets told that she cannot enter the MDR and is turned away for violating the dress code. She will whine and cry and give all her excuses true or not as to why she must wear the flip flops and how she was discriminated yadda yadda yadda. These workers on the ship need there job and will NOT stick there neck out and will turn a blind eye. That's is the only reason people are allowed to break dress code. Imagine if 95% of the people are dressed in tuxs and gowns and you show up in your summer dress and flip flops. You will be out of place and as much as people say the don't care , the comments are made. I've heard them myself as the tables are very close to each other.

Princess will turn you away. We witnessed it on an Alaska cruise 3 years ago. Guy never came with a suit jacket. He had to rent one to walk in the dining room only to take it off when he had dinner. Btw princess is owned by Carnival.

Nail on the head there.

And I've also seen people turned away from the MDR on formal nights on Carnival. Those turned away did complain, but the maitre'd showed them a copy of the dress code rules. At that point the passengers just walked away.

The problem isn't what we all think the code should be, it's clearly written out, it's the enforcement of it. Many members on this site complain about how much Carnival is "low end" or "cheap", but Carnival tends to enforce most of their rules. Whereas the "high end" cruise lines do not, other than the obvious like no shorts.

If the cruise lines are going to say "XYZ" is the appropriate dress, then they need to follow through on it 100% or not at all. it's the lack of that enforcement that these types of threads appear on here and cause the bickering. Personally, when I am on someone else's property, I follow their rules.

Could you imagine if they enforced embarkation or disembarkation in the same manner in how they enforced the dress code in the MDR? How insane would it be for them?

Either enforce the rules in their entirety or don't. They need to stop picking and choosing how they want they want to handle it. Period.

Please read the "updated " dress code off celebrity's website.

Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• A cocktail dress

• Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater

• Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

• Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

• Pants or jeans with a sport shirt that has sleeves

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

• A cocktail dress

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

• Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

• Pants or jeans with a sport shirt that has sleeves

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

Pardon me while I guffaw. :rolleyes:

Back when there was a formal night, I often threatened on other dress code police threads to wear some of my golf attire to prove a point. This along with a nice bright purple tie would have been fun to wear. With matching flip flops of course.

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66/trwilliams2/d5374973a3b01560262eabe7d67b6d1b.jpg

Edited by Tommy3putts

• A cocktail dress

i.e. just like every other night, wear whatever you feel like.

Ignore that joke line about enforcement, - hasn't happened yet, why would they start now?