Flip Flops in the MDR

deladane

I wear jeans all the time, even at work, but I feel highly under dressed when I wear them to the MDR on a cruise ship. Only one time have I worn jeans to the MDR, and that was on the 1st night and because we hadn't received the bag with our dressier clothes yet. I felt horribly out of place dressed like that, even though I was not alone.

Others feel differently about it, but "dressy" and "jeans" do not go together, no matter how much you bling them up or whatever designer label you put on them. Paying hundreds for denim pants does not make them chic. It makes the buyer foolish for spending that much money on them. Denim fabric is extremely cheap.

And wearing a pair of $250 shoes doesn't hide the fact that your pants are still jeans.

Just because Celebrity is acquiescing to the American cruiser doesn't mean it's the right move to make. Be that as it may, the OP asked a question about her shoes. The fact that she NEEDS to wear them because of a medical condition is all that matters. Period. I will say, however, she can buy very dressy shoes, that are not flip-flops, that help with plantar fasciitis at New Balance stores. I did. I suffered for years until I found them. Now NB is all I wear (walking shoes, dress shoes, etc.).

Where can I get those shoes at 250 dollars? Anyway euro or pound is the currency I usually use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To the OP- I wore very similar flip flops in the MDR, even on "formal" night, on Millennium on my Nov/Dec 2015 cruise. I also wore them in Olympic. No one said a word. And if they had, I would have pointed out that between my feet & ankles swelling and my unfortunate accident while snorkeling, leaving my feet with lots of cuts, I didn't have another pair of shoes I could wear without excruciating pain.

Wear what you need to, and don't worry about it. While it may be "bad manners" to not conform to someone's idea of the dress code, it is also bad manners to scold a perfect stranger who isn't doing anything to you.

While it may be "bad manners" to not conform to someone's idea of the dress code, it is also bad manners to scold a perfect stranger who isn't doing anything to you.

LOL Valerie -- I think you'd find that the most vociferous of the "keyboard cowboys" on here would not give you a dirty look, much less scold you -- if you actually encountered them onboard. ;)

PS -- If I'm not prying too much --- what happened on your snorkeling excursion that resulted in cuts to your feet? DH and I are newbie snorkelers, and I'm trying not to learn everything the hard way. :eek:

Edited by wwcruisers

You have just made my day, I have been following this thread in absolute amazement. We are going on our 1st Celebrity Cruise this year having previously cruised HAL. After reading lots of comments in the Celebrity section of CC I am beginning to regret the decision to book the cruise.

I used the HAL section extensively last year & never once read anything as nasty & personal as I have read on here. Yes there were some scathing comments but not nasty. I just hope I don't meet any of these fashion police on my cruise because I will be in my designer jeans in the MDR just like I did on HAL last year & just like I do when I eat in any smart restaurant in the UK which I do several times a week.

I agree with you both. A nicely dressed young couple trashed...why? Her basic black flip flops are that offensive? Cruising in two weeks...please don't be offended by my footwear in blu...I put my dressy flip flops aside for some pumps, but my bunions will be killing me, so I may be as nasty as some of you have been.

You have just made my day, I have been following this thread in absolute amazement. We are going on our 1st Celebrity Cruise this year having previously cruised HAL. After reading lots of comments in the Celebrity section of CC I am beginning to regret the decision to book the cruise.

I used the HAL section extensively last year & never once read anything as nasty & personal as I have read on here. Yes there were some scathing comments but not nasty. I just hope I don't meet any of these fashion police on my cruise because I will be in my designer jeans in the MDR just like I did on HAL last year & just like I do when I eat in any smart restaurant in the UK which I do several times a week.

Big difference here... Designer jeans are permitted (even stated as possibilities) in the dress code. Flip flops are in the "not allowed" category.

It is clearly stated in the dress code rules , even for the evening chic that NO flip flops are allowed. The question was answered. What the debate?

There was once this woman who entered the dining room of the crown princess. Her skirt was so short you could see her thong. Everyone was staring and pointing. Hey I didn't mind, but the waiter came around and I asked him why they allow that ? He said if he turned them away he most likely would be fired.

It's not that the staff ignores the rules , it's that they are afraid of enforcing them. If people are going to dress like they just come from the beach , they are making a spectacle of themselves.

Rules are rules. But people break them and put the staff in awkward positions.

Ok, I officially feel silly. I remember when we were talking about if a sports coat qualified on formal night, to do flip flops qualify on what is it called, Smart Chic night?

Seriously, there has to be something more important to discuss?????:eek::D:rolleyes:

JC

Was your last cruise on NCL? Both of you are extremely casual for the more upscale lines but then I am old school where "those that know don't have to ask and those that don't - well".

And the point you are trying to make?

To the original poster: Your samdals will be just fine. And I travel on Celebrity exclusivey and annually so I huess "I know".

I have to say that I saw the title of this thread the other day & didn't reqd it because it didn't interest me. Then today I saw it was still active so peeked in. I was hoping that with the new "evening chic", & the closing of the sticky dress code thread, the issue would die the quiet death it decerves. But no, it seems that it just got lower on the body. I guess the dress code police need something to complain about.

So, now after reading 200 plus posts on this thread, I finally find the definitive post.

Bravo, Monsieur Bravo.:D

JC

Ok, I officially feel silly. I remember when we were talking about if a sports coat qualified on formal night, to do flip flops qualify on what is it called, Smart Chic night?

Seriously, there has to be something more important to discuss?????:eek::D:rolleyes:

JC

Dang it JC, KEEP UP....the times they are a changin!!!! :cool:

Dang it JC, KEEP UP....the times they are a changin!!!! :cool:

You know, I went to a Bob Dylan concert a few years ago. I drug my tolerant wife to the show, there was a lot of old and by old I mean I am surprised they weren't in nursing homes people smoking weed in a state where that is still against the law. We were on the fifth song of the set, when for the first time I recognized that he was butchering Lay Lady Lay... The only way I recognized the song was the reference to brass beds. Truly unrecognizable. So, I think it is official Bob Dylan no longer speaks for a generation. In fact he barely speaks, period.

JC

You know, I went to a Bob Dylan concert a few years ago. I drug my tolerant wife to the show, there was a lot of old and by old I mean I am surprised they weren't in nursing homes people smoking weed in a state where that is still against the law. We were on the fifth song of the set, when for the first time I recognized that he was butchering Lay Lady Lay... The only way I recognized the song was the reference to brass beds. Truly unrecognizable. So, I think it is official Bob Dylan no longer speaks for a generation. In fact he barely speaks, period.

JC

I could barely understand him when he was 30, now he must need a drool wiper on stage with him! :eek:

Wearing stylish blue jeans is not elegant formalwear and unfortunately people get away with it. On princess they will turn you away at the door if not dressed appropriately. I know on debarkation day I was wearing my base ball cap and we went to the dining room for b fast. They told me to take my hat off. I spoke to the manager and told him they should worry about all the people coming in not sanitizing there hands before worrying about baseball caps on debarkation day. Btw old men were allowed to wear there English fold over hats, so it's age discrimination on who gets to wear a hat or not lol.

Watch the Oscars lately? Jeans in fact can be quite formal, if done right. But that's neither here nor there. You are absolutely incorrect with regard to hats. It is disrespectful to wear your hat indoors. That is a cultural given. As for the age tghing....that's just absurd.

JC

Many a year, but always nice to see a conversation joined by you. :D

EW

I will be gluing fake jewels on some of my jeans and flip -flops and wearing said matching set into the MDR on my cruise in April

We flip-floppers are gonna rule the school.

I fondly refer to it as formalwear emancipation

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me

Here in sunny California flip flops are always in fashion, especially on a cruise!

True! We LIVE n our flip-flops here in CA year round. They are acceptable footwear most everywhere, including Ruth's Chris steakhouse. The only thing proprietors are interested in is my money, not how my feet are clad

Would you wear flip flops to a job interview ? If you answered no, then you would not wear them to a 5 course fine dining restaurant. Have some respect for the cruise line rules and for the people who abide by them.

LOL.... the MDR is most certainly not 5 course fine dining. The poster is dressed very nicely, far better than some and for you people woth the snide and judgmental comments are just ridiculous.

I will be gluing fake jewels on some of my jeans and flip -flops and wearing said matching set into the MDR on my cruise in April

We flip-floppers are gonna rule the school.

I fondly refer to it as formalwear emancipation

Its a flip flop revolution.......... Flip flops today, flip flops tomorrow, flip flops FOREVER!!!!!!!

On our first TA the seas were so rough I couldn't walk in my formal night shoes.

I was so worried about wearing my jewelled 'fitflops' to the MDR but had little choice.

And guess what?.........

I live to tell the tale :)

Edited by karpela