Flip Flops in the MDR

deladane

Hello,

Some of the responses on this thread are ridiculous and rude...and one of the reasons I no longer suggest to new cruiser friends, who have never heard of Cruise Critic, to join and explore this site anymore !

To those especially who responded with "since you asked"...and then proceeded to give an opinion on how the shoes looked, or made the OP appear physically, or that she can do better...well, the OP never asked that !! She asked one simple question:

If I wear these flip flops to dinner on my upcoming Celebrity cruise, will they tell me I can't enter the MDR?!

To the OP...unfortunately, absolutely nobody on this site can give you a simple 100% accurate response to your one and only question...not even the "official" Celebrity Poster who could come on and copy/paste the official printed Celebrity dress code guidelines...as most everyone knows that the answer to your question is completely dependent on who (if anyone) is working the entrance to the MDR on your specific ship, on any given night, when you enter...and then whether or not they impose any restrictions. We can all guess as to whether or not you would be allowed entrance...but nobody knows ! And most of us don't care one bit...because how someone else is dressed does not factor into our cruising experience. If the way someone is dressed does not impose an imminent threat to my(or others around me) health or safety...then I pay no mind !

And to the other rude posters...who comment on where people shop, or eat, or what "set" they belong to; comments with "down market" terms...etc, etc...thanks goodness for these threads in one sense...because it allows me to cancel/not book a cruise if I ever see such individuals on a Roll Call for a cruise I am interested in...or see that future cruise posted in their signature !!

I am...as are many great folks on here...of the "no-set set":D that cruises to experience great, kind, fun, polite, interesting, caring folks from every walk of life, who enjoy cruising for a spectacular vacation, with wonderful service, hardworking fantastic staff, new ports and cultures, beautiful sights, beautiful ships, the magnificent ocean, fun conversations, good food, good drinks...regardless of where they shop, what they wear, or where they eat, or how civilly superior they try to make themselves appear to others !! !!

Hope to see...some of you...onboard a great cruise...soon !

And one last comment...since I see ball caps mentioned often on these threads... and folks seem quick to associate that with lack of class/manners...I have a friend who wears a ball cap everywhere, anytime he goes out in public ...he was a fellow Police Officer who was shot in the head and survived when he wasn't given any likelihood that he would...and that is how he feels comfortable venturing out in public...if you don't like it....tough tatas !:D:D

BBL

Edited by BourbonNBluesLuvr

Let's face it there is no dress code any more. Most of the people on the ship will still look good and those who don't will still be making excuses.;) The only place there has ever been a discussion about it is on the boards. On the ship, people just enjoy their cruise.

Edited by Ma Bell

I'm still curious as to what podiatrist is "prescribing" the wearing of flip flops.

Because every one I've seen (and sports med docs as well), the first thing out of their mouths for any foot issue (especially anything involving support of the arch) is "STOP WEARING FLIP FLOPS."

Many do have arch supports and are wedge shape (like hers). Not all "flip flops" are a flat piece of rubber - you can even get them with a custom orthodic in them.

Edited by JuliaMS

Hello,

Some of the responses on this thread are ridiculous and rude...and one of the reasons I no longer suggest to new cruiser friends, who have never heard of Cruise Critic, to join and explore this site anymore !

To those especially who responded with "since you asked"...and then proceeded to give an opinion on how the shoes looked, or made the OP appear physically, or that she can do better...well, the OP never asked that !! She asked one simple question:

If I wear these flip flops to dinner on my upcoming Celebrity cruise, will they tell me I can't enter the MDR?!

To the OP...unfortunately, absolutely nobody on this site can give you a simple 100% accurate response to your one and only question...not even the "official" Celebrity Poster who could come on and copy/paste the official printed Celebrity dress code guidelines...as most everyone knows that the answer to your question is completely dependent on who (if anyone) is working the entrance to the MDR on your specific ship, on any given night, when you enter...and then whether or not they impose any restrictions. We can all guess as to whether or not you would be allowed entrance...but nobody knows ! And most of us don't care one bit...because how someone else is dressed does not factor into our cruising experience. If the way someone is dressed does not impose an imminent threat to my(or others around me) health or safety...then I pay no mind !

And to the other rude posters...who comment on where people shop, or eat, or what "set" they belong to; comments with "down market" terms...etc, etc...thanks goodness for these threads in one sense...because it allows me to cancel/not book a cruise if I ever see such individuals on a Roll Call for a cruise I am interested in...or see that future cruise posted in their signature !!

I am...as are many great folks on here...of the "no-set set":D that cruises to experience great, kind, fun, polite, interesting, caring folks from every walk of life, who enjoy cruising for a spectacular vacation, with wonderful service, hardworking fantastic staff, new ports and cultures, beautiful sights, beautiful ships, the magnificent ocean, fun conversations, good food, good drinks...regardless of where they shop, what they wear, or where they eat, or how civilly superior they try to make themselves appear to others !! !!

Hope to see...some of you...onboard a great cruise...soon !

And one last comment...since I see ball caps mentioned often on these threads... and folks seem quick to associate that with lack of class/manners...I have a friend who wears a ball cap everywhere, anytime he goes out in public ...he was a fellow Police Officer who was shot in the head and survived when he wasn't given any likelihood that he would...and that is how he feels comfortable venturing out in public...if you don't like it....tough tatas !:D:D

BBL

I agree, I always start to worry about how many nasty, judgmental people will be on the ship after reading too much CC - with threads about what kind of sandals someone wears or what hand they use their fork in. Once on board I just ignore the few that may be on the ship. I don't understand how people don't move on to something else instead of continuing with a cruise line they don't like anymore.

Clothes do not define a person, behaviour and manners are far more important.

Sheila

I beg to differ...as the saying goes, you are what you wear.

If behaviour and manners are more important than why is the OP trying to get away with entering the MDR while the rules specifically say no flip flop allowed?

Just seen this thread.

Simple dress code answer..............if you need to ask, the answer is no, otherwise you wouldn't ask! :rolleyes:

Or...........ask a Brit. Flip flops are for the beach/pool, certainly not for dinner on a Celebrity ship. :cool:

Just my opinion (obviously) :p

Just seen this thread.

Simple dress code answer..............if you need to ask, the answer is no, otherwise you wouldn't ask! :rolleyes:

Or...........ask a Brit. Flip flops are for the beach/pool, certainly not for dinner on a Celebrity ship. :cool:

Just my opinion (obviously) :p

Poor Brits, Always last to the new fashion trends......

It is clearly stated in the dress code rules , even for the evening chic that NO flip flops are allowed. The question was answered. What the debate?

There was once this woman who entered the dining room of the crown princess. Her skirt was so short you could see her thong. Everyone was staring and pointing. Hey I didn't mind, but the waiter came around and I asked him why they allow that ? He said if he turned them away he most likely would be fired.

It's not that the staff ignores the rules , it's that they are afraid of enforcing them. If people are going to dress like they just come from the beach , they are making a spectacle of themselves.

Rules are rules. But people break them and put the staff in awkward positions.

Edited by Hersheepeg

Here in sunny California flip flops are always in fashion, especially on a cruise!

Not in a dining room.

If those are allowed then could I wear my baseball cap and shorts ? Rules are rules. If she can break them so can I.

Edited by Hersheepeg

Not in a dining room.

If those are allowed then could I wear my baseball cap and shorts ? Rules are rules. If she can break them so can I.

Another pet hate of mine.........baseball caps at the dinner table, it's just bad manners and an insult to other guests at the table................

don't get me started :mad:

Another pet hate of mine.........baseball caps at the dinner table, it's just bad manners and an insult to other guests at the table................

don't get me started :mad:

If you want to dress casual go on carnival. I pay extra for more professional , more mannered clientele.

While I do think you can find a dressier pair of flip flops, if you are happy with what you have and they are comfortable than wear them. I also have flip flops that are leather and decorated with bling that I wear to dinner and have seen many versions of the same shoes on lots of people both in the dining room and Blu. Don't let the negative attitudes or fashion police on theses boards bother you. Enjoy your vacation!

If you want to dress casual go on carnival. I pay extra for more professional , more mannered clientele.

That's why I like X, but there are always some who either don't read the dress rules, don't care about the dress rules, or just want to push the boundaries and put the X staff on board in a no win situation!

I can't believe the (rude) comments I've read on these boards about the new dress code. I wish everyone would just get over it, life's is too short.

Well, that's the thing, if you ask people their opinion, they're going to give it.

I know, shocking! :eek:

I am of the mind that if you really don't want to know the answer, don't ask the question. I'm the type of person who will be brutally honest with you. If you ask me what I think, I'll tell you.

I know, still shocking! :eek:

I don't think what the shoes that the OP is wearing are horrible, but I don't think they're remotely "dressy". I know where I work, and it's very casual here, those would not be allowed. And we wear jeans here. But seeing this is Celebrity, who knows what rules they'll actually apply...?

Suffice it to say, if it's a health thing, people should be able to wear what they NEED to wear.

Sorry, I don't do Carnival and I will cruise whatever line I please...and if you THINK you are paying more for the clientele on X then they surely have you hook, line and sinker!

Sorry, I don't do Carnival and I will cruise whatever line I please...and if you THINK you are paying more for the clientele on X then they surely have you hook, line and sinker!

Well said. Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A very dear friend, who we often cruise with, has foot problems that require her to wear thong-type sandals. She has shoes that might be described as black "flip-flops" -- except that they are decorated with genuine Swarovski crystals. She's never had a problem wearing these to dinner in the MDR -- on any X ship. :cool:

For me, the bottom line would be: keep your feet off my table, and I won't care what you wear to dinner. ;)

Bottom line - your thong style sandals are fine. no one will kick you out of anywhere.

And anyone who thinks an MDR is "5 Star" restaurant seriously needs to get out more. Come to NYC and go to a "fancy" restaurant. where by the way, folks may be wearing dark, designer jeans, heaven forbid.

I think too many people are discounting the fact that flip-flops are called out in the dress code specifically as being items not allowed in the MDR. If you want to ignore that rule, why not ignore the others? It's not unreasonable to expect adults to read a policy and conform to it, whether X enforces it or not.

Personally, I wish people would wear real shoes to dinner and get away from showing dirty feet and funky toes.