Flip Flops in the MDR

deladane

They look fine to me. However if you do have a problem with your feet and it restricts what you can wear just explain this to the Maitre D' on the first night and you should have no problem wearing them any night.

Chances are no one will notice anyway and anyone who gets upset about this sort of things needs to sort out their priorities.

I think there is a big difference between the flip flops one would wear to the pool and other shoes that happen to be a thong-style with the strap between the toes. And the OP's shoes are not pool flip flops, so she is fine.

If you're going to obey the letter of the law, as some are advising, then regular Crocs would be ok in the dining room, since they are not flip flops, right? I'd much rather see cute, blingy, flip flop-type sandals than clumpy old Crocs any day.

deladane - You are a beautiful young lady but since you asked, which you may come to regret ;) here is my humble opinion looking at your photos. Those flip flops do NOT look great with the dresses - weather or not these are beach flip flops - they ARE flip flops and they are very casual.

I do understand your foot pain though as I sometimes suffer from plantar fasciitis. Please do yourself a favor and invest in a good pair of cute sandals that have good arch support - your feet will feel great and you'll love the bit dressier look.

Some brands to consider Naot or lolasabbia. Happy sailings to you!!!

The dress code is a huge subject of interest on this and other posts. In recent years, styles have changed for us all. I have cruised for over 30 years. I must admit, it was fun for everyone to dress up as it created an elegant atmosphere. I had a collection of gowns and my husband had a collection of cummerbunds to match my outfits. About 10 years ago, we took a Windstar cruise and discovered the joy of sailing on casual elegant cruise lines such as Regent and Azamara as well as on river cruises. We realized that we enjoyed the relaxed dress code much more than the formal dress requirements on most large ships. We decided to sail on Celebrity again because of their new relaxed dress code.

Enjoy the comfort of your sandals on casual nights. I'm sure your feet will thank you for giving them a break from the two nights when you wear the chic ones.

Dh has always worn his Birkenstocks in the mdr even on the now renamed formal nights. No one said anything and i seriously doubt that anyone will stop you with the flip flops. And really, who sees your feet and who gives a rat's behind about what others think.

Dh has always worn his Birkenstocks in the mdr even on the now renamed formal nights. No one said anything and i seriously doubt that anyone will stop you with the flip flops. And really, who sees your feet and who gives a rat's behind about what others think.

Wearing stylish blue jeans is not elegant formalwear and unfortunately people get away with it. On princess they will turn you away at the door if not dressed appropriately. I know on debarkation day I was wearing my base ball cap and we went to the dining room for b fast. They told me to take my hat off. I spoke to the manager and told him they should worry about all the people coming in not sanitizing there hands before worrying about baseball caps on debarkation day. Btw old men were allowed to wear there English fold over hats, so it's age discrimination on who gets to wear a hat or not lol.

To the OP, as evidenced by this thread, there are quite a few clothes police on these boards. If you dress like you did in the photos provided you will fit in just fine on almost all nights. Yes all nights. Formal nights are a thing of the past. Enjoy your cruise.

@OP You look fine for the non-smart-chic nights. I have a similar pair with the only difference being a few bits of bling glued to the straps and have had no problems wearing them to dinner. I also wear Birkenstock Gizeh's as they are not only extremely comfortable but not being rubber, are clearly not flip-flops but still are a thong so easy on the ankles.

@OP You look fine for the non-smart-chic nights. I have a similar pair with the only difference being a few bits of bling glued to the straps and have had no problems wearing them to dinner. I also wear Birkenstock Gizeh's as they are not only extremely comfortable but not being rubber, are clearly not flip-flops but still are a thong so easy on the ankles.

Is it fine for Men to wear there sandles to the main dining room ?

The bottom line is the gate keepers at the MDR don't have a backbone to enforce the dress code in the first place. I really don't think they will be making any judgement calls between a Gucci flip flop and a Walmart rubber flip flop. To me it is more of how you take pride in the way you look on any night in a public setting. For those of you who think that Celebrity is an upscale cruise line you couldn't be further from the truth. It's a mass market cruise line that has attracted middle aged and senior passengers who were raised with a different set of values and style and now is slowly being replaced by the next generation.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Flip flops not allowed even for smart casual wear.

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pant/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) with collared sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. As a courtesy to our guests, we respectfully require and enforce compliance with dress code at the entrance of your restaurant of choice. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the 'Smart Casual and Above: dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

Specialty Restaurants (Including Blu for our AquaClass Guests)

The dress code at Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants is 'Smart Casual and Above' for every night of your cruise. Formal attire is only required in the main dining room on your formal evenings.

Renting Formalwear

Formal evenings call for formal attire. Men can arrange for tailored, elegant formalwear to be delivered directly to your stateroom. To order, visit Cruiseline Formalwear.

Flip flops not allowed even for smart casual wear.

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pant/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) with collared sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. As a courtesy to our guests, we respectfully require and enforce compliance with dress code at the entrance of your restaurant of choice. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the 'Smart Casual and Above: dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

Specialty Restaurants (Including Blu for our AquaClass Guests)

The dress code at Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants is 'Smart Casual and Above' for every night of your cruise. Formal attire is only required in the main dining room on your formal evenings.

Renting Formalwear

Formal evenings call for formal attire. Men can arrange for tailored, elegant formalwear to be delivered directly to your stateroom. To order, visit Cruiseline Formalwear.

This is now out dated information since they no longer hold formal nights. Imagine that. Celebrity hasn't updated the website. Who would have thought?:rolleyes:

Edited by Iamcruzin

Wow, thank you all for your replies! To clarify, yes, I was asking about what to wear for the casual/non-formal nights in the MDR (I plan to wear heels for formal/elegant chic night) To the poster who asked about which cruise line I was on for those photos- My cruise history is listed in my signature ;) That was from a Carnival cruise in 2015 and I was dressed on par with many other passengers on those casual nights.

I wanted to avoid getting into my medical specifics, but since a few of you mentioned similar conditions... I have a chronic condition in one of my feet that causes it to swell up to my ankle. I find it is especially bad after walking around on my feet all day like when we are in port. The problem isn't necessarily the heel height as much as it is the straps which dig into my swollen foot and are extremely uncomfortable (or that I can't get the shoe on my foot because my foot diameter is too big for what the straps allow!). Many of the other shoe alternatives suggested will feel like they are slicing the top of my foot every time I take a step because they don't have any give like my fabric flip flops. In addition, I have a high arch, so most cute strappy sandals don't work because my arch drops down and I end up with a limp. And since my other foot does not swell, it is nearly impossible to find sandals that fit both feet. Shoe shopping is quite a chore for me ;)

In general, I try to dress stylishly, but I always value function over fashion. The point of my question was not to see if these flip flops are trendy, but simply to know if they are permitted in the MDR on casual nights :) I suppose if I try to wear these flip flops and get turned away, I could suffer through wearing my formal night heels every night and going back to the cabin to change after dinner, but I would much prefer to be comfortable and enjoy my evening without the added detour.

I have swelling also. Most sandals have adjustable straps, while flip flops do not, so they are a much better choice.

While the flip flops in your photo are nice ones, they are an item specifically prohibited in the dress code. Do you really want to risk being turned away?

To the poster who said no one is looking at your feet, I think you would be surprised.

Dear OP,

Don't you worry a bit about those flip flops. Nobody will notice, and surely no employee will have the nerve to turn you away. On a Eclipse cruise in December a man wore a flannel shirt and denim pants which looked like he had just parked his tractor on the third deck. This was in Blu and his costume served him well on more than one night. In the MDR at lunch there were any number of grown men wearing baseball caps at lunch. Maybe this is permitted by X; it certainly isn't permitted by general norms of dress. The times have changed but not for the better. You just might find yourself the paradigm of fashion compared to what others are wearing. Enjoy yourself as you flip X the middle toe. :)

If the women get away with it next will be the guys demanding the same code. Cruising is going down hill fast, Use to do 4-5 a year and now have only one for his year.

It amazes me when you see a few people show up at the dining room in casual clothes and they think nothing of it. It's like they are oblivious to the people around them. So , you see them on day two in the dining room in jeans , then you think they will get the hint for the next day to dress up. They still don't lol. :cool: mind boggling. It kinda ties into the people who hold loungers with a towel. They throw a towel on a lounger at 7 am then Go for b fast then back to the room. By the time they get back its 10:30 11:00 and all the loungers are taken. It's very rude.

How bout the people who insist on jamming 25 people in an elevator ? Ok it stops at every floor. If you see it's full when it opens up , don't try to jam in. I have personal space and don't appreciate you breathing your wine breath on me.

That's my rant lol. You know it's all true. :D

If the women get away with it next will be the guys demanding the same code. Cruising is going down hill fast, Use to do 4-5 a year and now have only one for his year.

It amazes me when you see a few people show up at the dining room in casual clothes and they think nothing of it. It's like they are oblivious to the people around them. So , you see them on day two in the dining room in jeans , then you think they will get the hint for the next day to dress up. They still don't lol. :cool: mind boggling. It kinda ties into the people who hold loungers with a towel. They throw a towel on a lounger at 7 am then Go for b fast then back to the room. By the time they get back its 10:30 11:00 and all the loungers are taken. It's very rude.

How bout the people who insist on jamming 25 people in an elevator ? Ok it stops at every floor. If you see it's full when it opens up , don't try to jam in. I have personal bubble and don't appreciate you breathing your wine breath on me.

That's my rant lol. You know it's all true. :D

If you don't want to follow the dress code then don't go. Why do you think that a saying exists "no shoes no shirt no service". this is a formal dining room. Give your head a shake ! Too many people try to push the boundarys and this is what you get. Uninformed out of touch people defending others to wear inappropriate footwear. The foot swelling is no excuse. Does that mean you wear flip flops to work ? Smarten up people , this is not carnival.

I would agree with much of what you say, but that battle has been fought and lost, as witnessed by the quote I made and you just cited. The yahoos have carried the day, and the only choice is to close an eye to it or stop cruising.