Flip Flops in the MDR

deladane

Seriously folks. Some of you sound like you are characters in the latest Downton Abby episode.

QUOTE]

Odd that Downton Abbey is such a popular show both sides of the pond considering the vast majority of the public dresses less smartly than many of our homeless.

But it is really the cruise lines that are to blame. As they built more and more ships, they found the only way to fill them was to down market. And the down market folk are traditionally uncomfortable in dressier garb. They prefer the casual blue collar style of t shirts ball caps and jeans. That style has slowly filtered up to the group that has made a few dollars but still has no idea how one is to speak or act and thinks because they have a dollar they can do what they wish. Comes off the school entitlement teachings.

Happily, the trend at least in the US among the 20 something's is to return to well dressed. One can only hope the cruise lines will see this return to civilized society and follow them back up the trail rather than continue down into the pits of pajama pants T shirts and ball caps. At least there is no sign of the big hair pink rollers coming back.

I'm kind of amazed that people's podiatrists are actually ENCOURAGING flip flops for foot issues. Every podiatrist or sports med doc I've ever had has immediately told me "NO FLIP FLOPS" whenever I've had any foot issue ranging from tendon issues to PF to other foot muscle issues. They HATE flip flops as they give no support.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

Seriously folks. Some of you sound like you are characters in the latest Downton Abby episode. Please note that the year is 2016! People are not on job interviews. They are on vacation. May I suggest that you might be happier sailing on the Cunard Line which still enforces a strict dress code and has a rather strict class structure. When I sailed on Cunard, I knew that I was expected to wear a ball gown for the formal evening events in the Princess Grill. However, when we sail on Celebrity, my husband will be leaving his tux and suits at home. I find it refreshing that the passengers may choose to dress as they wish, within the confines of the code listed below.

This is the Celebrity's dress code as posted in their web site on January 31, 2016

During Your Cruise

Q: What is the onboard dress code?

A:

Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing: • A cocktail dress

• Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing: • Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater

• Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing: • Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or jeans with a sport shirt that has sleeves

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

Happy Sailing!

I am very concerned about Mary. Couldn't care less about flip-flops. :D

:eek: Hey there now - don't go slamming farmers - that food on your table is out of their field. All three of my children farm (15,000 acres) and they certainly know how to dress properly.

So the important question is this -- what color was the tractor? If it wasn't green, well then THAT is just wrong. LOL ;)

I know you know I was not knocking farmers. My wife was raised on one and still owns it. She has relatives in central Illinois who are big time corn and bean people, but some of them would feel comfortable on a ship only in flannel shirts and work pants. So they don't cruise

I note that the censor is out and doing his dirty work over nothing. Sad.

Seriously folks. Some of you sound like you are characters in the latest Downton Abby episode.

QUOTE]

Odd that Downton Abbey is such a popular show both sides of the pond considering the vast majority of the public dresses less smartly than many of our homeless.

But it is really the cruise lines that are to blame. As they built more and more ships, they found the only way to fill them was to down market. And the down market folk are traditionally uncomfortable in dressier garb. They prefer the casual blue collar style of t shirts ball caps and jeans. That style has slowly filtered up to the group that has made a few dollars but still has no idea how one is to speak or act and thinks because they have a dollar they can do what they wish. Comes off the school entitlement teachings.

Happily, the trend at least in the US among the 20 something's is to return to well dressed. One can only hope the cruise lines will see this return to civilized society and follow them back up the trail rather than continue down into the pits of pajama pants T shirts and ball caps. At least there is no sign of the big hair pink rollers coming back.

Lakesregion....I will NEVER wear jeans on a cruise ship. My husband wears a Tilly hat only in the outdoors and will not appear indoors in a base ball cap. This is because we choose to dress the way we are most comfortable within the confines of what is proper. Celebrity Cruise Lines has revised their dress code. Passengers who adhere to the dress code should not be treated as societal scum. They are following the dress code when they wear jeans and a short sleeved shirt in the MDR on elegant chic nights. You may also follow the new dress code by wearing a tux with formal black dress shoes. You should not be mocked as a stiff from the Great Gatsby era by fellow passengers in designer jeans. Conversely, you should not consider those passengers in designer jeans to be part of the uneducated masses storming the buffet line. We are all fortunate to have the opportunity to spend our days aboard a beautiful luxury ship. How one dresses should not impact others enjoyment of the cruise experience. Cheers!

. How one dresses should not impact others enjoyment of the cruise experience. Cheers!

For me how one finds the rest of the passenger consist is a very important part of the cruise or a restaurant. I can for no money at all frequent a K-mart or a MC Donald's for $2 and be part of the crowd found on so many cruise lines and in so many restaurants today. Thankfully there is still one cruise line where there is a modicum of civility left and there are a number of resorts on shore where one will not have to run the gauntlet of uber casual.

I totally understand your position. Formal evenings are exciting. However, as a retired travel consultant in the Washington D.C. area, I heard from many clients who spent too much time in business attire during the day and formal attire in the evening. When they vacationed, many wished for total relaxation. Until the last few years, they would not even consider a cruise vacation as it did not allow them a respite from their daily lives. When Regent Cruise Line came on the scene, they attracted many upscale passengers with their "country club casual" dress code which allowed their guests to put away their formal garb and to truly get away from it all. The mainline cruise lines have witnessed their upscale partners success in attracting new affluent cruises and have embraced the more casual dress code because of customer demand.

I was not being flip when I suggested to you that you might be happier on Cunard. They will be the last bastion of proper cruising. While Princess and Holland America still adhere to a formal style of dress, I expect that Princess will change their policy in the next year or so.

Is this a serious thread? While I do enjoy dressing for formal nights and have worn tails and a top hat, I wear nothing except Birkenstock sandals on my feet. Two reasons - the first is they are comfortable and the second is an orthopedic one. And yes they are black leather and properly shined.

Nasha is correct - one should look nice but not let others (unless their apparel is offensive such as T-shirts with profanity or obscene messages) impact the enjoyment of your cruise.

While Princess and Holland America still adhere to a formal style of dress, I expect that Princess will change their policy in the next year or so.

We were on Star Princess two months ago. We observed young folks wearing blue jeans, Harley Davidson tee-shirts, and baseball caps on "formal" nights in the MDR. I was in coat and tie and my wife in a long gown. It did jar the senses!

Fortunately, we will be on Celebrity in Aqua class on our next cruise in May. We will be eating in Blu and we hope everyone will be attired appropriately.

Edited by El Crucero

OP, you could be my daughter. You are a lovely young lady. Let me assure you that you will not be denied entry to the main dining room. You are dressed appropriately and your footwear will not be an issue. However, as a mother to a twenty-something who does not concern herself with the opinions of others, let me just say that you can do so much better with your choice of shoes. I realize you have a foot issue, and I am sympathetic because I, too, have foot pain which requires me to wear less-than-fashionable shoes. But this particular shoe does you no favors. There are plenty of cute, comfortable shoes out there that would look so much more appropriate with your cute sundresses. Having said that, I hope you enjoy your cruise and don't worry about the opinions of us older cruisers!

I noticed many men wearing shorts and flip flops on the January 18th Connie cruise. Perhaps they all lost their luggage? My advice is that people should now wear whatever they like, or nothing at all if they prefer. A rule is only a rule if it's enforced and nothing that appears in writing is enforced in a consistent way.

I predict, within two years, dining will be like attending the Clampetts family reunion with Jed, Jethro, Grannie, and Elly Mae. If you want opossum, you'll have to go to a specialty restaurant.Please post pictures when that happens.

No need to wait the two years. Such attire and company is available on at least one major line if not several. One only wishes those that feel that is the way to cruise would stay with those lines rather than attempt to water down the rest.

So to be clear...this isn't acceptable. [ATTACH]375080[/ATTACH][ATTACH]375080[/ATTACH]

Actually I saw a fella dressed pretty much like that on Silhouette a couple weeks ago at evening dining. I kid you not.

We were on Star Princess two months ago. We observed young folks wearing blue jeans, Harley Davidson tee-shirts, and baseball caps on "formal" nights in the MDR. I was in coat and tie and my wife in a long gown. It did jar the senses!

Fortunately, we will be on Celebrity in Aqua class on our next cruise in May. We will be eating in Blu and we hope everyone will be attired appropriately.

Aqua class doesn't even pretend to observe a formal or even elegant chic dress code. Their only recommendation in Blu is smart casual every night of the cruise. Hope you aren't too disappointed but nice jeans are allowed in Blu always. Baseball caps and Harley t-shirts, not so much!

The term "flip flops" comes from back in the 50's when we had those plastic/rubber flip flops that slapped the floor as you walked.

OP the pictures you have posted are fine. :)

The old flip flop is still around, but thong sandals like you are wearing come in all kinds and prices now. You can find thong sandals on up to $1,000. and more. These are not your grandma's flip flops.

I predict, within two years, dining will be like attending the Clampetts family reunion with Jed, Jethro, Grannie, and Elly Mae. If you want opossum, you'll have to go to a specialty restaurant.Please post pictures when that happens.

Magic 8 Ball says "highly unlikely".

In Australia we refer to "flip-flops" as "thongs" and they are part of our national dress. I'm terribly offended that some people are trying to deny us an important expression of our culture.

Think I'm joking? Check out the Australian Government's page on "National Dress" and scroll down to the section on footwear:

http://www.australia.gov.au/about-australia/australian-story/austn-national-dress

Their only recommendation in Blu is smart casual every night of the cruise.

Understood, we have traveled in Aqua in the past, but I repeat that I hope everyone is attired appropriately. In my definition, jeans are not smart casual in Blu which for me is dress slacks and for my wife palazzo pants and very low heels, but I don't set the rules, and we will still have a good time regardless.

I have just read right through this thread, and am amazed at some of the responses. What other people wear has never impacted upon my enjoyment. Clothes do not define a person, behaviour and manners are far more important. I would prefer to eat dinner with the OP in her 'flip flops' than with some of the other judgemental posters. Luckily we have never met people on board who express the extreme views that I sometimes read on these boards.

Sheila

Understood, we have traveled in Aqua in the past, but I repeat that I hope everyone is attired appropriately. In my definition, jeans are not smart casual in Blu which for me is dress slacks and for my wife palazzo pants and very low heels, but I don't set the rules, and we will still have a good time regardless.

You will most certainly see LOTS of jeans in Aqua, hopefully you live through the experience....:rolleyes: