Flip Flops in the MDR

deladane

LOL, flip flops are just like Jeans, some flip flops cost $5 and other $100 and a interpretation of what is acceptable is always a opinion even by the generic description suggestioned by the cruise line. There are many dress flip flops that look great, and pool side flip flops that, well belong in the pool. Same with Jeans, some for work some for MODERN CHIC dress.. I have never seen anyone with reasonable attire turned away from the MDR or Maybe I have never been so lucky as to see some one turned away.

On a cruise from Singapore to Dubai, my lady broke a toe just before leaving and luckily bought a similar pair of FLIP FLOPS($65), and had to wear them the whole trip, tours included. NO ONE EVEN CARED.

Edited by north29

I can't believe the (rude) comments I've read on these boards about the new dress code. I wish everyone would just get over it, life's is too short.

I have flip flops very similar to yours and love them. I take them on cruises when traveling to warm climates. I have also worn them to the buffet returning from port and also on sea days.

We travel with another couple and my girlfriend often wears casual flip flops under a long skirt to dinner. You really can't see much of what is on your feet under a long skirt, so if you're worried about it I would pick up some long skirts and casual long dresses.

I have worn heels all my life, and now that I'm in my late 50's my feet are paying the price.

I have found some really cute (inexpensive) "flip flops" at TJ Maxx, Kohls and Target that are very comfortable and dress things up just because they are patent leather or have a few sparkles on them.

Your dresses are really cute and I think a comfortable flip flop that is just a little dressier would really finish your outfit.

Enjoy your cruise!

It may be personal taste but thong style sandals cheapen the look of a nice outfit. If you wore a ballet flat, it wouldn't/shouldn't effect your swollen ankle and you wouldn't need to worry about the dress code. Either way, enjoy your cruise.

What are thong style sandals?

Are sandals allowed in the MDR according to X's guidelines?

I can't believe the (rude) comments I've read on these boards about the new dress code. I wish everyone would just get over it, life's is too short.

I have flip flops very similar to yours and love them. I take them on cruises when traveling to warm climates. I have also worn them to the buffet returning from port and also on sea days.

We travel with another couple and my girlfriend often wears casual flip flops under a long skirt to dinner. You really can't see much of what is on your feet under a long skirt, so if you're worried about it I would pick up some long skirts and casual long dresses.

I have worn heels all my life, and now that I'm in my late 50's my feet are paying the price.

I have found some really cute (inexpensive) "flip flops" at TJ Maxx, Kohls and Target that are very comfortable and dress things up just because they are patent leather or have a few sparkles on them.

Your dresses are really cute and I think a comfortable flip flop that is just a little dressier would really finish your outfit.

Enjoy your cruise!

Would you wear flip flops to a job interview ? If you answered no, then you would not wear them to a 5 course fine dining restaurant. Have some respect for the cruise line rules and for the people who abide by them.

I only wear flip flop type sandals in the summer months, one specific brand that I have about half a dozen different pairs of. Some are plain and some are bejewelled and certainly not beach or poolside wear. When I cruised RCCL I wore the bejewelled types on formal nights with my formal clothes and I didn't feel in the slightest bit awkward about it. Some of us just can't wear closed or strappy sandals for various reasons and there are all kinds of flip flops now, not just the horrible rubber or plastic type for wearing at the pool.

If you have a foot problem, I can somewhat understand wearing flip flops. I have foot problems too and I have found that Clark's has a good selection of pretty sandals and shoes for problem feet. Aerosoles are also comfortable. I would also suggest wearing a shrug (short sweater) or pashmina with your strapless dresses as it is cool inside the ship (good air conditioning). I always have a light weight coverup with me in the dining room and in the show lounges.

Since you are dealing with a medical condition, I would say wear what you can. When my ankle swells, I can't get ballet flats on either. But I did buy "dressy" flip flops.

I did a Google search with those words and a lot comes up in all price ranges. Perhaps something along these lines, which are less than $10 on another site and technically called a "thong sandal":D

http://www.shoemetro.com/p-382861-triton.aspx?color=Silver&material=Faux%20Leather&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA

As I said, I was worried about being kicked out, though I figured that I could always show my ankle (which swells to the size of a small orange) and plead for a medical exception. I never needed to though.

Cheers,

Thong style are flip flops. And no they are not allowed.

It's a shame that you aren't the one policing the MDR. If you were we wouldn't be having this conversation and we would certainly still have formal nights. Right or wrong, chiseled in stone or printed on paper the fact still remains that the Celebrity staff won't bat an eye if someone wore flip flops dipped in18k gold and diamond incrusted or the ones that the OP is wearing. For what it's worth I don't buy the medical condition line or the airline baggage excuse. Yes people have foot conditions no doubt. However, they usually wear pants or long dresses that won't call attention to their footwear.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Thong style are flip flops. And no they are not allowed.

I have dressy flat sandals that are described as a thing because they have a strap between the toes but they also have straps around the ankle, are leather, with jewels, look nice with dresses on a cruise, but also very comfortable. In my opinion, they aren't flip flops because they are secured to the foot and ankle and don't flop when you walk.

Edited by carolslc

Would you wear flip flops to a job interview ? If you answered no, then you would not wear them to a 5 course fine dining restaurant. Have some respect for the cruise line rules and for the people who abide by them.

The MDR is not fine dining. If you actually think it is, then I understand why you would post such a rude and ignorant comment

On a Eclipse cruise in December a man wore a flannel shirt and denim pants which looked like he had just parked his tractor on the third deck.

:eek: Hey there now - don't go slamming farmers - that food on your table is out of their field. All three of my children farm (15,000 acres) and they certainly know how to dress properly.

So the important question is this -- what color was the tractor? If it wasn't green, well then THAT is just wrong. LOL ;)

ruffle+flip+flops2.jpgwomens-ladies-diamante-low-heel-flip-flop-thong-toe-post-dressy-party-evening-summer-fashion-sandals-shoes-y28_2790560.jpg

images for dressy flip flop - suitable for dinner

poolside-flip-flops-9837808.jpg

flipflops-lr.jpg

images for pool side flip flops.

There is a difference.

Exactly - all of those are technically "Flip Flops", the one on the right is just fine for MDR

Edited by JuliaMS

I wouldn't go to a job interview in anything I bring on a cruise so I don't know what equivalency you're trying for here but it's a bit of a miss.

I have dressy flat sandals that are described as a thing because they have a strap between the toes but they also have straps around the ankle, are leather, with jewels, look nice with dresses on a cruise, but also very comfortable. In my opinion, they aren't flip flops because they are secured to the foot and ankle and don't flop when you walk.

Many of my sandals would technically be called flip flops or thongs or slippah's for our Hawaiian friends but they range from things I'd wear to the pool, to ones I wear hiking and yes, to ones I wear to dinner. I often skip them on formal night and wear pumps or ballet slippers but that's more a function of the outfit than a belief that my sandals are less suitable.

It's a shame that you aren't the one policing the MDR. If you were we wouldn't be having this conversation and we would certainly still have formal nights. Right or wrong, chiseled in stone or printed on paper the fact still remains that the Celebrity staff won't bat an eye if someone wore flip flops dipped in18k gold and diamond incrusted or the ones that the OP is wearing. For what it's worth I don't buy the medical condition line or the airline baggage excuse. Yes people have foot conditions no doubt. However, they usually wear pants or long dresses that won't call attention to their footwear.

Fortunately for us you aren't the one who has to "buy" into anyone's reason's. It sounds like you may need to change your screen name to NoMocruizin cause you clearly are one of those angry old men who just can't mind your own business and live and let live so cruising may no longer be for you....I used to always wear one of my tuxes to formal nights as we used to enjoy the "playing dress up" on cruises but now we enjoy just smart casual for the entire cruise but even when we did dress formally I NEVER once had my dinner ruined when someone would walk by dress in GASP.....:eek:.....the dreaded JEANS.....

I think perhaps this poster thought that you were asking about the "evening chic" night. Except for the flip-flops, both of your outfits seem to be well within the range of "smart casual" as described by Celebrity.

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or jeans with a sport shirt that has sleeves

(I just wanted to respond so you didn't start panicking about being under-dressed. I will leave it to someone else to answer about the flip-flop issue.)

If that is your definition of smart casual, I would love to see where you go with working in the garden clothes. In my set, smart casual would never have flip flops and the gentlemen wear linen trousers and well tailored shirts not stuff that hangs. But then every one has their own set and obviously mine will not be found on this cruise line.

Cheers

There's no way you'll be turned away. Our last cruise was the Baltic last summer. It was a very hectic itinerary and one evening we got into the elevator and realized it was formal night. As we entered the MDR I told the host that we didn't realize it was formal night and he said no problem go on in. We were dressed pretty much as you and your husband were in the pictures (and we're a whole lot older). I was pretty embarrassed but it was definitely not a problem. We are off in 2 weeks to the Caribbean on Silhouette and my left foot is still quite swollen from foot surgery a couple of months ago. I'll be wearing thongs everywhere. Most are embellished and that is something you could do yourself to your "flip flops" if you feel the need. But I wouldn't waste my time worrying whether your shoes are appropriate. Just have a good time.

Seriously folks. Some of you sound like you are characters in the latest Downton Abby episode. Please note that the year is 2016! People are not on job interviews. They are on vacation. May I suggest that you might be happier sailing on the Cunard Line which still enforces a strict dress code and has a rather strict class structure. When I sailed on Cunard, I knew that I was expected to wear a ball gown for the formal evening events in the Princess Grill. However, when we sail on Celebrity, my husband will be leaving his tux and suits at home. I find it refreshing that the passengers may choose to dress as they wish, within the confines of the code listed below.

This is the Celebrity's dress code as posted in their web site on January 31, 2016

During Your Cruise

Q: What is the onboard dress code?

A:

Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing: • A cocktail dress

• Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing: • Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater

• Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing: • Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or jeans with a sport shirt that has sleeves

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

Happy Sailing!

ruffle+flip+flops2.jpgwomens-ladies-diamante-low-heel-flip-flop-thong-toe-post-dressy-party-evening-summer-fashion-sandals-shoes-y28_2790560.jpg

images for dressy flip flop - suitable for dinner

poolside-flip-flops-9837808.jpg

flipflops-lr.jpg

images for pool side flip flops.

There is a difference.

Now wait just a gosh darn minute here. While flip flops are banned, dressy flip flops are OK? And a poster said earlier that some sandals are in fact flip flops and are banned. So some flip flops are OK and some sandals are OK but some flip flops are not OK and some sandals are not OK?:confused: Jeez, I though solving a Rubric's Cube was tough.

Here's an idea, Why don't all the ladies throw out all their shoes and sandals, and flip flops too and just buy one pair of white running shoes and one pair of black Oxfords. Oxfords are always welcome in the MDR. That will end this controversy and save on luggage space too!;)

If you feel your flip flops look too casual, tie a pretty bow on the front. You could get several pieces of ribbon to match your various dresses.

I've never seen any cruise line employee look at the feet of people entering the dining room. A fancier sandal would look dressier but it's not necessary. I've even seen plain black rubber flip flops on formal night several times and I rarely notice someones shoes.

Edited by lakelorain

OP, I think you look lovely in your dress & flip flops, very appropriate for a Caribbean cruise.

I don't see how wearing a "strappy sandal" would be any different than what the OP is wearing. An extra strap around the ankle makes that much difference?:D

Sherri:)