Flip Flops in the MDR

deladane

I am astounded at the number of cruisers who would allow what OTHER people are wearing to ruin their vacation. Honestly. If vacationing with the "the uncouth" will ruin your week, go rent a deserted island where you won't have to commune with the human race. I don't give a rat's behind what others wear and it certainly won't ruin whether I have a lovely week at sea. Hubs and I do it all... from very casual to tux and gown -- OUR choice. What others wear has NO bearing on my enjoyment.

I'll be on the Reflection this coming Saturday and I may wear flip flops in the MDR just to be rebellious! ;)

I am astounded at the number of cruisers who would allow what OTHER people are wearing to ruin their vacation. Honestly. If vacationing with the "the uncouth" will ruin your week, go rent a deserted island where you won't have to commune with the human race. I don't give a rat's behind what others wear and it certainly won't ruin whether I have a lovely week at sea. Hubs and I do it all... from very casual to tux and gown -- OUR choice. What others wear has NO bearing on my enjoyment.

I'll be on the Reflection this coming Saturday and I may wear flip flops in the MDR just to be rebellious! ;)

I've yet to see anyone say that their vacation was ruined. I think people are reacting (rightly so) to those who flout the published rules. Just because there's not a cop posted by my neighborhood elementary school doesn't mean I should drive 90 mph down the street since I won't get caught. Being part of civilized society means understanding expectations and conforming to the requested standards.

I am astounded at the number of cruisers who would allow what OTHER people are wearing to ruin their vacation. ;)

After having my vacation ruined on a certain cruise line due to the rabble found there. I would not use that line if they gave me a free years worth of cruising. I have to put up with much of that ilk when going about locally so do not wish to also find it on an other wise former fine cruise line. Sad they had to so down market in order to fill their multiple bevy of ships.

Bottom line - your thong style sandals are fine. no one will kick you out of anywhere.

And anyone who thinks an MDR is "5 Star" restaurant seriously needs to get out more. Come to NYC and go to a "fancy" restaurant. where by the way, folks may be wearing dark, designer jeans, heaven forbid.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall seeing anyone call it a "5 star" restaurant. 5 course, yes; 5 star, no.

After having my vacation ruined on a certain cruise line due to the rabble found there. I would not use that line if they gave me a free years worth of cruising. I have to put up with much of that ilk when going about locally so do not wish to also find it on an other wise former fine cruise line. Sad they had to so down market in order to fill their multiple bevy of ships.

So you expect 3000 men women and children to buy/rent unwanted/unneeded clothes to dine in the MDR or be sent to the buffet to enjoy their meal, while RICH people dine in the MDR or yes Blu or Michaels Club.

The problem cones from there not being a clear definition of Flip Flop. The dictionary says flip flop has a flat rubber sole and is intended for pool or beach. Some people here are calling any thong style sandal a flip flop. Celebrity needs a better description.

IF I think I'm entitled to anything, it's the vacation I contracted for with the guidelines being abided by by all people who came on the ship KNOWINGN THE GUIDELINES and CHOOSING TO FLAUNT THEM.

LMAO you seem angry, maybe cruising with 3000 people whose thoughts about what's appropriate may be different than yours may not be your bag.... :eek: and I am sorry to report that your cruise contract doesn't say anything about other pax dressing habits or behavior on board...so again cruising may not be for you...Laissez les bons temps rouler!

LMAO you seem angry, maybe cruising with 3000 people whose thoughts about what's appropriate may be different than yours may not be your bag.... :eek: and I am sorry to report that your cruise contract doesn't say anything about other pax dressing habits or behavior on board...so again cruising may not be for you...Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Actually the cruise contract DOES cover behavior.

And as for the last part, no thank you. New Orleans literally makes me sick (it's happened both times I've been there).

And as for the last part, no thank you. New Orleans literally makes me sick (it's happened both times I've been there).

What I said was the contract says nothing about OTHER pax behavior as in you don't get to whine or demand compensation when you see someone in flip flops in the MDR or playing beer pong by the pool! :eek:

Ah, but it only covers how YOU should behave and gives no guarantees about the behaviour of other guests.

Also, most people would consider dress codes to be suggestions or guidelines and outside the bounds of any legally binding rules specified in the cruise contract. Nothing in the contract says you can't rock up to the MDR in whatever footwear you like but if a member of the crew explicitly denies you entrance based on said footwear then you must obey their instructions.

Another pet hate of mine.........baseball caps at the dinner table, it's just bad manners and an insult to other guests at the table................

don't get me started :mad:

Why just baseball caps. Should be any type of hat! Epically those ugly fedoras.

Edited by davekathy

Ah, but it only covers how YOU should behave and gives no guarantees about the behaviour of other guests.

Also, most people would consider dress codes to be suggestions or guidelines and outside the bounds of any legally binding rules specified in the cruise contract. Nothing in the contract says you can't rock up to the MDR in whatever footwear you like but if a member of the crew explicitly denies you entrance based on said footwear then you must obey their instructions.

I would say it's common courtesy to abide by the wishes of the host. If you don't believe in their wishes, abstain from the wish you don't agree with, just don't rub their noses, and everybody else's who did what was right.

OP, I think those are bordering between sandals and flip flops. But I think you will be fine and have no issues.

To me a flip flop is what I take to the gym (plastic slip ons for the shower). But I also have some nice sandals with leather straps that one might call flip flops, but I'd stick to calling a sandal :)

I do have a pair of Reef Golf Sandals which I should bring on my next cruise just to see if someone bursts a vein:D

284211.jpg

No matter how low the dress code sinks.....somone will want to test for a lower bottom.......

You know.....there is always Carnival if you don't want to dress at all

Actually on the "Journeys" cruises on Carnival in addition to their Elegant Nights they DO in fact have a Formal Night as well; something Celebrity no longer has. And Carnival you will often find a Captains table held in the dining room, something you will no longer see on Celebrity.

So if you want to dress up and dine with the Captain...there is always Carnival!

It's threads like these that I feel there is a great need for sarcasm font.

:)

And it's threads like these that make me realize again how important it is to have standards in life and how necessary it is to make judgments when the occasion demands.