Flip Flops in the MDR

deladane

You will most certainly see LOTS of jeans in Aqua, hopefully you live through the experience....:rolleyes:

Sheriff Joe, you are correct. When my DH and I were in Aqua last time, we wore jeans on many occasions, and one night I even wore my dressy flip-flops, the black ones with fake jewels glued on the top. I like to refer to them as my Bling-Flops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seriously folks. Some of you sound like you are characters in the latest Downton Abby episode. Please note that the year is 2016! People are not on job interviews. They are on vacation. May I suggest that you might be happier sailing on the Cunard Line which still enforces a strict dress code and has a rather strict class structure. When I sailed on Cunard, I knew that I was expected to wear a ball gown for the formal evening events in the Princess Grill. However, when we sail on Celebrity, my husband will be leaving his tux and suits at home. I find it refreshing that the passengers may choose to dress as they wish, within the confines of the code listed below.

This is the Celebrity's dress code as posted in their web site on January 31, 2016

During Your Cruise

Q: What is the onboard dress code?

A:

Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing: • A cocktail dress

• Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing: • Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater

• Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing: • Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or jeans with a sport shirt that has sleeves

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

Happy Sailing!

You must of missed the no flip flops allowed in your post lol. What point were you trying to make?

I was just reading over the dress code for the MDR and it says that flip flops are not allowed. On all of my prior cruises, I have worn a nice sundress to dinner on non-formal nights, and I usually wear that with black flip flops. These aren't the $2 plastic kind of flip flops you wear to the beach. They are nicer fabric ones that I think look fine with my dresses. If I wear these flip flops to dinner on my upcoming Celebrity cruise, will they tell me I can't enter the MDR?! It's not like I'd be wearing it with a bathing suit or shorts or other inappropriate attire haha I just don't have any other non-flip flop shoes to wear with a dress for dinner (aside from the heels that I force my feet into on formal/elegant chic night, but would rather not have to wear on the casual nights!) I am attaching a few photos from my last cruise for reference...

17201_10103783983398739_7595411165968690027_n.jpg?oh=bceacd6c3ee6106bb7dd540c0d0c0229&oe=57708DDF

10646972_10103783986816889_2415776063742173108_n.jpg?oh=e7995f4fec0bcf903f5e52c656f5aaef&oe=572F1551

I bet the pro flip floppers would change there tune if the guy in the pictures was wearing flip flops.... Not acceptable.

Edited by Hersheepeg

I just returned home from a week on the Silhouette. The smart casual nights were very flexible, and several ladies in our group wore FitFlops with jewels on them and even Clarks adjustable thong sandals. I have the same problem as you with my ankles swelling horribly, sometimes unevenly. I wore my BZees sandals almost every night, and they saved the trip for me, so I thought I'd pass this link along... http://www.bzees.com/en-US/Product/03680-5245153/Bzees/Black/Womens+Desire+Sandal.aspx. You can dress them up or down and the stretch adjusts for the swelling. They are very lightweight for packing as well. Enjoy your cruise!

Not fine dining ???????? It's a 5 course meal ! Some people :cool:

Lol. Definitely not fine dining. It's not possible serving 1,000 people at a time. Number of courses is irrelevant. Pretty sure I could have 5 courses at McDonalds if I wanted to. It's banquet dining at best.

Not fine dining ???????? It's a 5 course meal ! Some people :cool:

I am totally with you on that. It is called a "Dining Room" after all. Not a cafe, not a bistro, not a grill, a "Dining Room". That alone should give a person an idea of the setting and the expectation.

P.s. I am not a snob. DH and I completely enjoy a tailgate party, red solo cups and all. But a person needs to know how to dress appropriately and handle themselves in different settings.

Lol. Definitely not fine dining. It's not possible serving 1,000 people at a time. Number of courses is irrelevant. Pretty sure I could have 5 courses at McDonalds if I wanted to. It's banquet dining at best.

I can't even count the number of banquets I have attended. I have yet to see Prime rib, Lobster or crime brûlée served at any of them. The MDR is not banquet dining.

I can't even count the number of banquets I have attended. I have yet to see Prime rib, Lobster or crime brûlée served at any of them. The MDR is not banquet dining.

You need to get out more. The only time I ate Creme Brûlée on X I almost spit it out it was awful and still warm.

LMAO you need to up the quality of your banquets then, :D I have had prime rib and lobster at several banquets and for the record the lobster is 3rd rate and the "prime" rib isn't prime so its actually "choice rib" or maybe even "select rib" but definitely not Prime Rib.....AT BEST X's MDR is 3 star, more likely 2 though 15 years ago I would have rated it 3.5 stars, maybe 4

I guess it is all a matter of perspective. I have attended many banquets at country clubs or Marriott or Hilton with nice offerings. Good, but that is banquet quality to me. Dinner at more upscale restaurants is more unique and flavorful. Most entree's in the MDR are more interesting and flavorful than what I would consider "banquet dining".

Prime rib and lobster along with chicken kiev and veal cordon bleu have been standard entres at proms, weddings, business galas and charity events around here. These are considered banquet occasions.

I was just reading over the dress code for the MDR and it says that flip flops are not allowed. On all of my prior cruises, I have worn a nice sundress to dinner on non-formal nights, and I usually wear that with black flip flops. These aren't the $2 plastic kind of flip flops you wear to the beach. They are nicer fabric ones that I think look fine with my dresses. If I wear these flip flops to dinner on my upcoming Celebrity cruise, will they tell me I can't enter the MDR?! It's not like I'd be wearing it with a bathing suit or shorts or other inappropriate attire haha I just don't have any other non-flip flop shoes to wear with a dress for dinner (aside from the heels that I force my feet into on formal/elegant chic night, but would rather not have to wear on the casual nights!) I am attaching a few photos from my last cruise for reference...

17201_10103783983398739_7595411165968690027_n.jpg?oh=bceacd6c3ee6106bb7dd540c0d0c0229&oe=57708DDF

10646972_10103783986816889_2415776063742173108_n.jpg?oh=e7995f4fec0bcf903f5e52c656f5aaef&oe=572F1551

If I send you $10 will you go to Wal-Mart and buy a pair of flats?

They are $2 flip flops, I have bought them at K-Mart.

I throughly have enjoyed this post. Obviously there are people on every cruise who think that they are high society or try their hardest to be high society. I see people from all walks of life in my job and when it comes down to it everyone is the same no matter whether they live in a rooming house or a 10,000 sq foot house. I will be on vacation and my vacation will not be ruined by someone wearing flip flops or not dressed "appropriately."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I throughly have enjoyed this post. Obviously there are people on every cruise who think that they are high society or try their hardest to be high society. I see people from all walks of life in my job and when it comes down to it everyone is the same no matter whether they live in a rooming house or a 10,000 sq foot house. I will be on vacation and my vacation will not be ruined by someone wearing flip flops or not dressed "appropriately."

Thanks!! Nuff said.

Sense on this thread, surely not :rolleyes:. Agree with your sentiments, some people really need to get a life ;). I have no idea what my DH has on his feet under the table, never mind the lady on the floor above, 27 tables away - yeah, that's really going to change the taste of my food :D.

As I stated on another dress thread, would you prefer a jester in jeans or a terrorist in a tux sitting at your dinner table?

To all the self appointed cruise clothes enforcers here's what you can expect from me if you're on the same cruise with me.

"Blame it all on my roots I showed up in boots (in this case flip-flops[emoji33])

And ruined your black tie affair

The last one to show, the last one to know

I was the last one you thought you'd see there

I saw the surprise and the fear in his eyes

When I took his glass of champagne

And I toasted, you said, "Honey, we may be through

But you'll never hear me complain"

'Cause I've got friends in low places

Where the whiskey drowns and the beer chases

My blues away and I'll be okay

I'm not big on social graces

Think I'll slip on down to the oasis

'Cause, I've got friends in low places

I guess I was wrong, I just don't belong

But then I've been here before

Everything is all right, I'll just say goodnight

And show myself to the door

Hey, I didn't mean to cause a big scene

Give me an hour and then

I'll be as high as that ivory tower

That you're livin' in

'Cause I've got friends in low places

Where the whiskey drowns and the beer chases

My blues away and I'll be okay

I'm not big on social graces

Think I'll slip on down to the oasis

'Cause, I've got friends in low places

Hey, I've got friends in low places"

--Dwayne Blackwell & Earl Bud Lee

Performed by Garth Brooks

Cheers

So no one has answered. If the guy was wearing the flip flops in the picture would that be acceptable in the dining room ?

So no one has answered. If the guy was wearing the flip flops in the picture would that be acceptable in the dining room ?

Yes but only if he wears socks! Preferably the ones with five toes. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Doesn't bother me one bit. I don't have time or the desire to look and people's feet. I'm on vacation. I ain't getting worked up over trivial issues. Let the cruise staff worry about that stuff.

If the lack of enforcement bothers folks so much why not go to a different cruise line that meets that person's individual preferences?