Do you want Princess to return to Bermuda

Loreni

The Breakaway docks right next to Summit in Kings Wharf.

Wow! How do they manage to get so many people off the ship and onto buses? It's been years since I cruised to Bermuda and docked at Kings Wharf. I do recall many complaints of the long waits for buses. Perhaps they have made great improvements since then.

Jet Blue now flies direct from NY, which in turn has brought with it lower fares from other carriers. You can get R/T airfare on American in October for less than $375 per person. You could then enjoy that lovely place for several days and skip the sea days that it takes to get out and back. You could leave NY after breakfast and have lunch in Hamilton. Cheap airfare coupled with more time on the island makes cruising to Bermuda a rather poor second choice.

While the airfare is a bargain, I can't say the same for the hotels and resturants. You don't need more than 3 days in Bermuda and we do enjoy the combination of the cruise experience. Celebrity is ok. I like the M class ship but If given the choice I would choose Princess over Celebrity.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Would love to have Princess in NY for more cruises other than NE/CA. There is a great opening for them now as both Breakaway and Anthem are overly large and basically freestyle. Many would prefer Princess over that....even just for another option. Vicki

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow! How do they manage to get so many people off the ship and onto buses? It's been years since I cruised to Bermuda and docked at Kings Wharf. I do recall many complaints of the long waits for buses. Perhaps they have made great improvements since then.

In July we did a 9 night Caribbean cruise on the Breakaway which included a stop in Bermuda. It took us 1.5 hours to get to Horseshoe Bay. I think if your ship is docked there for a few days, it's not as bad, but when it is an 8 hour visit and 3000+ people are getting off the ship, there are just not enough taxi's or buses. If I were to do this again, I would book the excursion.

We would LOVE for Princess to go back to Bermuda!! Took our last two on Celebrity and loved it.....but I would love to be able to go with Princess. We docked this last time on the Summit with the Breakaway. Yes, the first morning there were lines to get on buses....but by lunch it was supper easy to get around and we love the two overnights in port.

• 10 months later...

I am searching for a cruise to Bermuda and have used Princess for my last four cruises but realized they do not go to Bermuda. Now what? Any suggestions?

I do. Just discovered how wonderful Bermuda is when Pacific Princess stopped there last year.

I think Princess used to sail to Bermuda from New York for multi-day visits. Celebrity and NCL offer multi-day Bermuda visits from New Jersey and I believe Baltimore. I wish Princess would offer a muti-day itinerary.

It must be crowded when two of the huge ships are in port. Hopefully, Princess could be in port on different days. This might be easier sailing from Florida or Georgia. It would be worth it to me to depart mid-week to avoid crowding, but most people might not want to do this. Still, maybe enough people would?

Like it or not, cruising in Europe is being negatively impacted by the crisis there. Bermuda could be another option for Princess for summer cruising.

I am searching for a cruise to Bermuda and have used Princess for my last four cruises but realized they do not go to Bermuda. Now what? Any suggestions?

Not difficult as there are a lot of choices. Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and NCL have a lot of sailings, almost every week in the Bermuda cruise season, end of April to October. Of those my preference is Celebrity. Several others have a few sailings.

Everyone coming off of that particular HAL ship had nothing good to say about it. From the outside, it looks really sad and run down. Sadly, the Celebrity Summit we took was awful and actually failed health inspection months later! The options are poor to Bermuda. The new NCL goes there but not our cup of tea. Great port, poor ship selections.

The HAL ship Veendam wasn't sad and run down at all- it was a vast improvement over the Summit which we took the year before. Better food, better itinerary, better overall experience. Docking in Hamilton is much better than being exiled in the Dockyard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks Charles. I am looking at Royal Caribbean. I am just so comfortable with Princess.

Not difficult as there are a lot of choices. Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and NCL have a lot of sailings, almost every week in the Bermuda cruise season, end of April to October. Of those my preference is Celebrity. Several others have a few sailings.

YES! I want Princess to put Bermuda back on their regular one-week itineraries! I had to go with another cruise line just to get to those beautiful, powdery soft pink sand beaches!

My first cruise to Bermuda was on Princess years ago when they did regular one week itineraries. It is somewhat ironic that Princess ships are registered in Bermuda but they don't do regular itineraries anymore to Bermuda. There is no dock space at the Dockyard for Princess to do regular itineraries there unless they took over a slot from Celebrity, Royal Caribbean or NCL. Princess does have a ship left that could regularly dock at St. George's and Hamilton, which is the best Bermuda itinerary, but they must not consider that economically viable. And they recently sent the other ship that could have done those two ports to P&O.

Princess should come use Half Moon in Norfolk and sail to Bermuda!!!!!

Have went and looked at the Norfolk terminal. No way would I take a cruise out of there. It has to be a nightmare trying to get on and off the ship. Also the long term parking is about 1.5 miles from the pier area. Very smal drop off and pick up area at the terminal. Can understand why cruise ships do not want to berth there

My first cruise to Bermuda was on Princess years ago when they did regular one week itineraries. It is somewhat ironic that Princess ships are registered in Bermuda but they don't do regular itineraries anymore to Bermuda. There is no dock space at the Dockyard for Princess to do regular itineraries there unless they took over a slot from Celebrity, Royal Caribbean or NCL. Princess does have a ship left that could regularly dock at St. George's and Hamilton, which is the best Bermuda itinerary, but they must not consider that economically viable. And they recently sent the other ship that could have done those two ports to P&O.

Unfortunately what you say is very true although I wish it wasn't. Even if Hamilton could squeeze another ship in, I doubt if the island could handle the extra capacity of passengers.

Princess should come use Half Moon in Norfolk and sail to Bermuda!!!!!

Have went and looked at the Norfolk terminal. No way would I take a cruise out of there. It has to be a nightmare trying to get on and off the ship. Also the long term parking is about 1.5 miles from the pier area. Very smal drop off and pick up area at the terminal. Can understand why cruise ships do not want to berth there

I docked there once on a Quebec to FLL cruise. It was a great pier as a stop - no problems getting on and off the ship (though we were not parking). I thought it was a very well designed pier, for our purposes. Not sure what it would be like for embarking and disembarking people.

Unfortunately what you say is very true although I wish it wasn't. Even if Hamilton could squeeze another ship in, I doubt if the island could handle the extra capacity of passengers.

There is no extra capacity at the Dockyard but Hamilton could handle extra capacity at Hamilton and St. George's. There are no ships doing regular calls to either and each used to handle two ships doing regular weekly itineraries. That is reduced to one berth at each now but the berth at each is hardly used. Holland America calls at Hamilton six times and the rest of the time the berth there is unused. St. George's berth is used irregularly. Those berths can only be serviced by smaller ships which the mainstream cruise lines like Princess have mostly eliminated from their fleets in favor of mega ships, although Princess does have one ship that could call at Hamilton and St. George, Pacific Princess, they have chosen to use it on other itineraries. Some of the boutique cruise lines with smaller ships have increased their calls at Hamilton and St. George's but not on a regular basis.

So for Princess to return it probably means docking at he Dockyard. There is no extra capacity there so that would mean replacing a ship currently calling at the Dockyard. Can't add a ship from wherever. That is not permanently out of the question, contracts between ports and cruise lines expire and are renegotiated, also cruise lines do change itineraries and deployments.

There is no extra capacity at the Dockyard but Hamilton could handle extra capacity at Hamilton and St. George's. There are no ships doing regular calls to either and each used to handle two ships doing regular weekly itineraries. That is reduced to one berth at each now but the berth at each is hardly used. Holland America calls at Hamilton six times and the rest of the time the berth there is unused. St. George's berth is used irregularly. Those berths can only be serviced by smaller ships which the mainstream cruise lines like Princess have mostly eliminated from their fleets in favor of mega ships, although Princess does have one ship that could call at Hamilton and St. George, Pacific Princess, they have chosen to use it on other itineraries. Some of the boutique cruise lines with smaller ships have increased their calls at Hamilton and St. George's but not on a regular basis.

So for Princess to return it probably means docking at he Dockyard. There is no extra capacity there so that would mean replacing a ship currently calling at the Dockyard. Can't add a ship from wherever. That is not permanently out of the question, contracts between ports and cruise lines expire and are renegotiated, also cruise lines do change itineraries and deployments.

As I recall, at one time Bermuda used to limit the total amount of cruise passengers allowed per week to visit. I think this has changed quite a while back although their docking capacity hasn't.

To bad. :(