Don't want to print documents......

lahlah57

I would prefer luggage tags mailed to me and would not mind printing out boarding passes. Have printed out luggage tags before on other cruiselines. I really love the folders with important info on the ship....resteraunts..... phone numbers for emergencies...wifi and all the sort in regards to my cruise. That folder is like getting a present in the mail w/o me having to do all the work!:(

No need to print luggage tags.

All the stevedores have supplies of them and will give you however many you need when you get to the dock. Takes just a minute to write your name and cabin number.

There have been times when we were asked by the Broward Sheriff's at the Port Everglades Checkpoint to show our passport/ID as well as our cruise document. I only print the first page and that is all they care about but do not be so sure you will never have to show it in order to gain access to the cruise terminal.

My memory is we have also been asked to show our docs sometimes at Black Falcon Cruise Terminal in Boston.

I think your memory is correct - I had to show paperwork at Black Falcon in May to go to Bermuda on the Veendam and I'm sure it was before you could get any terminal access.....

......I want them to mail to me in a lovely folder. I don't like to use up my ink on everything! It is all too much like work. Will they and can they mail it all to me so I feel like I have payed for something and I have!?

Am I the only one? Hey I could be jumping the gun.....maybe they do. :confused:

You have paid thousands for the cruise but you are worried about a few bucks to print your documents. You can buy a black cartridge for your printer for maybe $7.00. Interesting. I figure that I have payed (sic) for the cruise and not for the documents.

DON

You have paid thousands for the cruise but you are worried about a few bucks to print your documents. You can buy a black cartridge for your printer for maybe $7.00. Interesting. I figure that I have payed (sic) for the cruise and not for the documents.

DON

Ah.....I remember the days when the TA made sure you recieved everything needed for your

trip.. O hhhhh.....those were the days:

And yes I did pay for the trip and the documents......really Don?!

I think your memory is correct - I had to show paperwork at Black Falcon in May to go to Bermuda on the Veendam and I'm sure it was before you could get any terminal access.....

In June we had to show boarding passes before we could enter the building when we boarded the Veendam at Black Falcon terminal.

It's really a non issue to download and print off a boarding pass. It takes thirty seconds of your time. Personally I find it exciting when I get the email that says our documents are ready to print. It means the cruise is getting closer and makes it seem real.

As we have to cross the US border to take most of our cruises I always have the cruise boarding pass ready to show if asked to show it after we are asked what we intend to do in the US. They have a right to demand proof and you never know what they are going to ask.

I also have our hotel reservations ready to show at the airport US customs if asked as well, as we have to fill in an online form prior to our flight stating where we intend to stay in the US. The major Canadian airports provide pre clearance by US customs before we leave Canada so that when we arrive in the US we are good to go. After a long flight that is such a nice touch to not have to stand in line for customs.

Wow. I live in Canada, but I still teach in a community where 50% of my students/families don't have computers, so while I think your aggregate number is probably accurate... yep, there are still a lot who don't use computers.

Two friends of mine - one in Toronto and the other nearby - refuse on principle to have a computer nor will they go to a library to use one. I assisted one friend by printing out the required documents and luggage tags. The other one had the e-ticket printed by the travel agent. Cunard still sends out an attractive booklet and thick luggage tags, but the e-ticket still has to be printed. If the passenger has neither a computer nor a travel agent Cunard will print it out and post it to the passenger. Would HAL do the same?

Two friends of mine - one in Toronto and the other nearby - refuse on principle to have a computer nor will they go to a library to use one. I assisted one friend by printing out the required documents and luggage tags. The other one had the e-ticket printed by the travel agent. Cunard still sends out an attractive booklet and thick luggage tags, but the e-ticket still has to be printed. If the passenger has neither a computer nor a travel agent Cunard will print it out and post it to the passenger. Would HAL do the same?

They used to print out cruise docs and mail them for a fee. I'm not sure they still do it but if you did not use a TA, call and ask. Obviously, if you used a TA, they can print it for you.

So, do they use slate and chalk, a pencil perhaps, a quill, or do they entirely avoid those new fangled ball point pens as well?

The library near our home has a bank of computers and a printer. They are always in use-by younger people and seniors.

Our new central library is going to focus on elearning, ebooks, cds, etc in addition to the traditional. It will be very different from older libraries and will be designed to bring more people in to use the facilities.

My uncle made the switch to Apple technology when he was in his early eighties. He went to the Apple store for classes. Never to old or too young to learn.

Edited by iancal

DON

My thoughts as well. I understand not wanting to use colored ink, but black costs very little.

How can you have neither a computer nor a travel agent? Do HAL still do bookings and payments by phone? Can you make a telephone booking without an email address?

I'm all for customer service--but there is a level of Luddism that beggars belief.

How can you have neither a computer nor a travel agent? Do HAL still do bookings and payments by phone? Can you make a telephone booking without an email address?

I'm all for customer service--but there is a level of Luddism that beggars belief.

I suppose there are some folks who rely totally on brochures mailed out by the cruise lines and then book over the phone with a PCC. Another option would be to go to their local TA and let them do the research, planning, and eventual booking. In either case I assume you can tell the PCC/TA you don't have a computer or access to a computer and they can make arrangements accordingly.

Edited by Randyk47

You can still book HAL cruises by telephone. Use a PCC and they will print and mail your documents when ready.. They will mail the confirmation.

You can provide credit card number by phone for payments.

What specific "principle" do they cite for their stand?

What specific "principle" do they cite for their stand?

I don't know about her friends principles when it comes to computers but I have to smile when I think back about my mother and a computer. I guess I qualify as being somewhat computer literate as I've had a computer of some kind since 1983 and over the years have even built three of my own PCs. About ten years ago my mother, then in her early 70's, asked me to get her a computer. I took one I'd built and basically made it as "fool proof" as I possibly could. It was rock solid and very simple. Obviously my definition of "fool proof" and my mother didn't match and it was really a disaster. She found ways to freeze, delete, destroy, and basically make a computer a worthless collection of parts. I swear I could have given her a rubber mallet and a steel anvil and she'd found a way to break the anvil. :D

I have a friend who has a computer - uses it basically like we did the old ones - as a word processor - for letters and cards. Will have nothing to do with "getting online" or "the internet". Fear? Ignorance? Who knows? But he feels that the internet is dangerous and thinks we are crazy for "being online." I try to explain how easy it makes things and that email is efficient - falls on deaf ears. So some folks just don't like change - or fear it.

I have a friend who has a computer - uses it basically like we did the old ones - as a word processor - for letters and cards. Will have nothing to do with "getting online" or "the internet". Fear? Ignorance? Who knows? But he feels that the internet is dangerous and thinks we are crazy for "being online." I try to explain how easy it makes things and that email is efficient - falls on deaf ears. So some folks just don't like change - or fear it.

There are still many people like that, or who simply hate to use computers. I do a lot of work with seniors, and some do not even own a computer, and yet they travel quite extensively, mostly in a group. They have TA or a friend who will print off all the docs they need. And as noted previously, people do still phone to make reservations and I am sure HAL reps will send out paper docs if necessary.

Just because it is the norm for us to make our own arrangements and print our own docs does not mean it is the same for everyone. My observations prove that obviously you can still travel without doing all your own printing.;)