Don't want to print documents......

lahlah57

This is the sign we have been greeted with when entering the port:

849a01a3b9ce624bd1b2bd3538f44542.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly. I have been on cruises out of FLL, Barcelona, Civi, Piraeus, & Sydney to name a few and I am quite certain I was glad I had my boarding pass in all instances, it makes life a lot easier. If you don't need it, it is one whole page you printed off (except for the one I got from O and took out of the blue book) and is not going to break the bank.

It's the least of what I have to print off for a cruise

Edited by kazu

Oh my! What if your wife didn't have a drivers license?

She was driving so that might have been a problem. Evidently, at Port Everglades they want to see that the driver has a license. What got me was the difficulty convincing the guard that the only way she was going to see a drivers license was for one of us to open the rear hatch to retrieve the license.

She was driving so that might have been a problem. Evidently, at Port Everglades they want to see that the driver has a license. What got me was the difficulty convincing the guard that the only way she was going to see a drivers license was for one of us to open the rear hatch to retrieve the license.

This is so outrageous I'm trying figure out any possible way she thought you would be able to show the license if you didn't get it from your wife's purse. What was she going to do? Was she that arrogant or just plain stupid?

Or she looks so young they wanted to be sure she had one!:D;)

:) I think most of us are fine with saving some money but while we know HAL saves a great deal of money by not printing and mailing documents and luggage tags, as they used to do.......

What I wonder is: Are we saving money? :D

I guess the unanswered, and maybe unanswerable, question is what would be HAL's fares today if they had not make the cuts (i.e., documents, service staff, entertainment) they've made. ?????

Odd. We have seen the signs but we have never been stopped or asked for ID when entering either FLL or MIA multiple times over the past 20 or so years.

We are usually in a cab. The guard looks at us in the back seat of the cab, two likely looking cruisers, and waives the cab driver through. That has always been the extent of it.

Edited by iancal

Not sure where you get these idea. In the US, above 90% have computers...75+% have broad band access...

Wow. I live in Canada, but I still teach in a community where 50% of my students/families don't have computers, so while I think your aggregate number is probably accurate... yep, there are still a lot who don't use computers.

This is so outrageous I'm trying figure out any possible way she thought you would be able to show the license if you didn't get it from your wife's purse. What was she going to do? Was she that arrogant or just plain stupid?

I think this situation required her to use her judgement. She had been told not to allow anyone out of their vehicles. She had been told to check for driver's licenses. Security guards are not allowed to use discretion. I'm surprised she didn't have to call a supervisor for instructions.

Odd. We have seen the signs but we have never been stopped or asked for ID when entering either FLL or MIA multiple times over the past 20 or so years.

We are usually in a cab. The guard looks at us in the back seat of the cab, two likely looking cruisers, and waives the cab driver through. That has always been the extent of it.

Please confirm I read this correctly. :)

You have arrived by taxi at Port Everglades and never been required to show your ID? That is what seems odd to me.

There is a Sheriff's booth past which all traffic must pass. The taxi driver and all passengers must show their ID and sometimes they ask for Cruise Documents. There are also times they have asked the driver to flip the trunk open so they can verify there is luggage and it 'appears' we really are passengers boarding a ship.

You have never seen or experienced this at Port Everglades? Maybe you've forgotten. :cool:

Yes. We mostly go to FLL. We have NEVER been asked for our documents. The taxi driver shows his ID and then away we go. We have always been ready with passports in hand but we can never remember actually handing them over for the officer to see. We have taken a hotel shuttle once or twice...never was asked for ID or anything. The van was waived through the gate. As I recall, they were all Broward County Sherriffs dept people.

Never, ever asked for cruise documents of any kind. Seems strange, but there you have it. Cannot remember if the trunk was ever flipped open or not.

Perhaps it is a random check. DW always seems to lucky number 15 going thru airport security and gets pushed over for more questions.

We have not cruised from FLL or MIA for two years. Last cruises have been from Istanbul, Rome, Sydney, and Sydney.

Edited by iancal

When we entered FLL through the North Port entrance last December, we found that the guard gate there had been demolished, and we were able to enter the parking garage for Pier 2 (Princess) without talking to anyone, never mind showing documents. The new permanent gate will be built past this parking garage, so people entering for a couple of those North gate piers won't have to show any documents.

Yes. We mostly go to FLL. We have NEVER been asked for our documents. The taxi driver shows his ID and then away we go. We have always been ready with passports in hand but we can never remember actually handing them over for the officer to see. We have taken a hotel shuttle once or twice...never was asked for ID or anything. The van was waived through the gate. As I recall, they were all Broward County Sherriffs dept people.

Never, ever asked for cruise documents of any kind. Seems strange, but there you have it. Cannot remember if the trunk was ever flipped open or not.

Perhaps it is a random check. DW always seems to lucky number 15 going thru airport security and gets pushed over for more questions.

We have not cruised from FLL or MIA for two years. Last cruises have been from Istanbul, Rome, Sydney, and Sydney.

Because of health issues, all of cruises the last 4 years have been out of Ft Lauderdale. We always use taxis. Every time we get to security the taxi driver shows his ID and the officer always looks at our passports. The trunk is always opened up.

Nearly every time we get to the terminal, the person at the door asks to see our boarding passes.

We have driven our personal minivan and had to show ID even for our kids in the back. Most times the security guy looks in to make sure all have shown and I guess no stowaways.

A few weeks ago at FLL we had to show boarding passes to get in port building. I do not remember having to do that before.

Since there have been many posts in this thread where a document was needed, it appears that you have just been lucky. Perhaps best that you don't push it in the future.

Thanks for looking out. All the documents are on my phone with the booking and all. Really doubt they will deny entry as long as passports are shown, but I guess you never know.

We had our docs ready for the security guy at the parking lot on our one Carnival cruise out of Charleston. Unfortunately, I left the envelope with them on top of our car. By the time I realized it, we were already inside the terminal. We were able to check in without them. The envelope and docs were still on top of my car at the end of the cruise.

Thanks for looking out. All the documents are on my phone with the booking and all. Really doubt they will deny entry as long as passports are shown, but I guess you never know.

We have read where documents on phone were not accepted.

Print out the first page of the cruise documents. Why take the chance of aggravation over one piece of paper for each person?