Don't want to print documents......

lahlah57

I don't know about her friends principles when it comes to computers but I have to smile when I think back about my mother and a computer. I guess I qualify as being somewhat computer literate as I've had a computer of some kind since 1983 and over the years have even built three of my own PCs. About ten years ago my mother, then in her early 70's, asked me to get her a computer. I took one I'd built and basically made it as "fool proof" as I possibly could. It was rock solid and very simple. Obviously my definition of "fool proof" and my mother didn't match and it was really a disaster. She found ways to freeze, delete, destroy, and basically make a computer a worthless collection of parts. I swear I could have given her a rubber mallet and a steel anvil and she'd found a way to break the anvil. :D

Love it!!

Hate to say it, but my DH is the same way. A year or so ago, he asked me to show him how to use the new desk top computer. I even typed up instructions for him to follow to get on and off (after I did a trial run with him). He got through everything on his own one time.

The next time all I heard was "something's wrong with this computer". I walked into the room and everything was scrolling up and down uncontrollably -- I have no idea how he did that. He claimed his fingers are too big and he hit a couple of keys at the same time.

:) I think most of us are fine with saving some money but while we know HAL saves a great deal of money by not printing and mailing documents and luggage tags, as they used to do.......

What I wonder is: Are we saving money? :D

I guess the unanswered, and maybe unanswerable, question is what would be HAL's fares today if they had not make the cuts (i.e., documents, service staff, entertainment) they've made. ?????
We all want all the new but keep all the old . This desire comes with a cost . Printing out my own documents is one of the easiest cuts to accept . Frankly being in Canada , I don't trust Canada Post to get me my documents on time and without damage . :mad:

I am getting lots and lots and lots of printed brochures from all the cruise lines , especially HAL . If they want to reduce costs , they can eliminate these .

Personally, I don't understand what the big deal is. It's not like they pay for your gas to get there, your internet access that you used to book the cruise, etc. The cost of shipping/mail delivery has greatly increased over the years and I would rather spend a few pennies to print documents myself than have the cruise fares goes up even more to cover their costs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am getting lots and lots and lots of printed brochures from all the cruise lines , especially HAL . If they want to reduce costs , they can eliminate these .

Or send them to someone who wants them---like me.

I refuse to use that sorry excuse for a user unfriendly website they have.

We all want all the new but keep all the old . This desire comes with a cost . Printing out my own documents is one of the easiest cuts to accept . Frankly being in Canada , I don't trust Canada Post to get me my documents on time and without damage . :mad:

We aren't getting any printed (regular mail) brochures from HAL.

But we are getting a lot of printed brochures from Cunard. Wish they had a lot of Caribbean cruises like in the 80's and 90's.

And I am getting tons of e-mails from Princess and Costa. We are Elite with Princess but have never sailed on Costa.

I have mixed feelings about this topic. I remember the "document dance" fondly (picture Snoopy dancing here), but the more we travel, the harder it is to get mail in a timely manner.

We have a small ship cruise scheduled, and that company mails a package with documents, luggage tags, name tags, etc. a couple of weeks before the tour, without an option to get them online. I was concerned that we wouldn't get home from an RV trip in time to receive the packet, and that it would get caught in mail forwarding hell.

For us, submitting information and getting documentation via the computer is simply the best way to go. When we use a local TA, she sends us documents, luggage tags, and plane tickets even though she knows we handle it ourselves, and some friends we travel with really appreciate the service.

I would like to know how so many cruiselines got my address and continually mail out those catalogs? ! Yes....they could stop mailing some of that junk cause if I want to look up cruises I do it on my computer. So instead.....once I have booked....spend your money and mail me everything I will need for MY cruise.

That junk must cost them a mint to mail out!!!

Ditto - and add Oceania. :eek:

It took ages to get Oceania to drop me from their mailings, but I was successful eventually.

Using the computer link did not work at all---so don't even bother trying that method. Even e-mailing the equivalent of their PCC didn't work.

I had to call them, and speak to a real, live, person. At that, it was several more weeks before the mailings stopped, but stop they did. Thank goodness! I can't imagine sailing on Oceania ever again! :(

I would like to know how so many cruiselines got my address and continually mail out those catalogs? ! Yes....they could stop mailing some of that junk cause if I want to look up cruises I do it on my computer. So instead.....once I have booked....spend your money and mail me everything I will need for MY cruise.

Ditto. I get mailings from quite a few cruise lines that I've never expressed an interest in or looked up a cruise. I tear off the name and address part and throw the rest into recycling. What a waste of material and postage.

It took ages to get Oceania to drop me from their mailings, but I was successful eventually.

Using the computer link did not work at all---so don't even bother trying that method. Even e-mailing the equivalent of their PCC didn't work.

I had to call them, and speak to a real, live, person. At that, it was several more weeks before the mailings stopped, but stop they did. Thank goodness! I can't imagine sailing on Oceania ever again! :( [

Bolding is mine - neither can we !

Edited by kazu

At our previous address we often got several identical mailings from HAL, despite two calls and a few emails.

I would get the junk mail. My spouse would get the junk mail. Then sometimes the same junk mail would come addressed to the previous owner.

More than once it arrived addressed to both the previous owner (after eight years) AND my spouse. None of it got opened or even past the recycle bin. Shame really.

Email is so much easier to delete.

We moved. My guess....it is still arriving.

Edited by iancal

I believe the answer is easy .When you cruise with one of the CCL or RCI brands , your info is shared with all . Long ago we went on a family cruise with Carnival . It was my DD's only cruise and yet she gets HAL & Princess mailings regularly .

Off Topic but what's wrong with Oceania RuthC & Kazu ?

Ditto - and add Oceania. :eek:

I had to call them, and speak to a real, live, person. At that, it was several more weeks before the mailings stopped, but stop they did. Thank goodness! I can't imagine sailing on Oceania ever again! :(

I also get Oceania mail. Given what I have read of some experiences, I have no interest in trying them..... not that I was seriously considering it. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Speaking for myself only---

Except for my cabin steward, who happened to be Indonesian, the service wasn't very good. Food did not at all live up to the hype that I had heard. Oceania has a reputation for great food, but I didn't find that to be the case.

The ship was gorgeous. However, it lacks a place to sit outside and watch the sea go by. There is nothing like a HAL promenade deck at all. Entertainment was totally lacking (yes, less than HAL).

I believe the answer is easy .When you cruise with one of the CCL or RCI brands , your info is shared with all . Long ago we went on a family cruise with Carnival . It was my DD's only cruise and yet she gets HAL & Princess mailings regularly .

I did a live thread on the O board and I was very kind. I was told my cruise was an anomaly, and the one after that and the one after that.

For us, it is all show and no substance. Lots of specialty restaurants and tons of choice in the terrace grill but a lot of food was over cooked. The food was not was it was hyped up to be, service in many cases was so abysmal that we left restaurants. There were some really good things that I liked but our service on the P'dam was far superior. It was the first time I was glad to get off a ship even though it was the worst embarkation we have ever endured,

Not worth the price - at least, our cruise wasn't

Edited by kazu