Same old, same old...

DT1304

I am posting this in the RCCL forum as this is our favourite line. It is not really a cruising question as such but I am interested in your opinions....

We have done a few cruises on RCCL (and one on another line that I will rather stay away from in future) and loved all our cruises.

We have done South Pacific over New Years, Alaska, another South Pacific mid year, and most recently Christmas and New Years cruise to the North Island of NZ and South Pacific.

I did not mind going back to the South Pacific as only one port was the same as where we had been before.

Now that the back story is over, I am looking to book another cruise to New Zealand (all different ports except 1) however my wife is keen on a land holiday somewhere else.

She has said that while each cruise was fantastic, it is the same experience repeated, and she wants to go somewhere different for our next holiday.

I am just curious what the thoughts of fellow cruisers are, especially those that have done many cruises, regarding the same experience over and over again.

I love the whole cruise experience, and don't get tired of it. However, we do do an occasional land vacation because not all of the places we want to see are accessible via cruise ship, and sometimes we want to spend more than just a port day, for example we are planning a land trip to Ireland in 2017. Anyway, back to your original question...I don't cruise nearly as much as some others on here (I wish I could) and I don't see myself ever really getting tired of cruising, but we'll see.

I am posting this in the RCCL forum as this is our favourite line. It is not really a cruising question as such but I am interested in your opinions....

We have done a few cruises on RCCL (and one on another line that I will rather stay away from in future) and loved all our cruises.

We have done South Pacific over New Years, Alaska, another South Pacific mid year, and most recently Christmas and New Years cruise to the North Island of NZ and South Pacific.

I did not mind going back to the South Pacific as only one port was the same as where we had been before.

Now that the back story is over, I am looking to book another cruise to New Zealand (all different ports except 1) however my wife is keen on a land holiday somewhere else.

She has said that while each cruise was fantastic, it is the same experience repeated, and she wants to go somewhere different for our next holiday.

I am just curious what the thoughts of fellow cruisers are, especially those that have done many cruises, regarding the same experience over and over again.

To each their own really.

We are planning a cruise to Tas in Dec, it will be our 6th (or is it 7th) not identical itineraries though a few have been close to identical.

But then we love Tasmania and the wonderful Mrs Gut is always keen to get to Port Arthur.

We've also done QLD coastals, circumnavigation of Aus and NZ, dead keen in another circumnavigation and another NZ.

Yet to do the islands.

So I understand people are different, I knew ine family that went to the same van park very year (that suited them) another that goes to the Gold Coast and visits the Wally Worlds at leat once, often twice, a year.

But to a degree to us the ship is a big part of the destination, our Tas cruises have been in different ships, so tha does make a difference, but mainly because the line we prefer seems to keep changing which ship does that itinerary and because we like the itinerary so much we find it a good choice if we want to try a new line (if we hate the ship at leat we like the destination, funny our first cruise we picked Tas because if we didn't like cruising we liked the ports only way I got Mrs Gut on the first).

Sounds like you're looking for words of wisdom that would change your wife's mind.

Here's some wisdom for you: "If Momma ain't happy, no one is happy." You will regret not honoring her wishes.

We try to mix it up.....so cruising doesn't get stale.

Land and Sea

We don't do all inclusive land vacations as they are too much like a cruise. We pick a country we want to spend time in a do day trips from a central host city. Our next land trip is Milan with day excursions to other northern cities in Italy. Maybe a day at Lake Como too.

Cruising never gets old to us. I just wish we had time to do more cruises. We like the fact that we can unpack once, sleep in the same room all week, and have a variety of activities to keep us busy at night after a long day in port. We also do some land vacations and I find the planning is more involved and not as much fun. Restaurants that I thought were going to be good end up being iffy in an unfamiliar city or you have to drive and pay for parking for shows, etc. Land vacations are more of a hassle and I often find myself saying, "I wish I was on a ship". I know what I'm getting when I get on a ship and it's comfortable to me.

Cruising never gets old to us. I just wish we had time to do more cruises. We like the fact that we can unpack once, sleep in the same room all week, and have a variety of activities to keep us busy at night after a long day in port. We also do some land vacations and I find the planning is more involved and not as much fun. Restaurants that I thought were going to be good end up being iffy in an unfamiliar city or you have to drive and pay for parking for shows, etc. Land vacations are more of a hassle and I often find myself saying, "I wish I was on a ship". I know what I'm getting when I get on a ship and it's comfortable to me.

Agree

And we usually pay the same, or more for our hotel, dinner and breakfast before we embark than we do for each day of the cruise and that's without lunch, snacks nd entertainment.

We try to mix it up with our vacations, but we love cruising the best. Our last land trip was to St maarten last May. We had a wonderful time but every day we saw the cruise ships arriving and decided we really missed cruising. So we have booked another cruise. I think mixing up your vacations with land and sea is the way to go. No matter what you do, have fun.

It does get a bit old sometimes, but if you try different cruiselines it helps keep it much more fresh than doing the same thing over & over.

We just did Celebrity for the 1st time and it was a new experience.

How does Celebrity, or the other lines you've sailed, compare to RCL. I've only sailed on Royal Caribbean, so I'm curious.

I've looked at MSC and they seem a lot cheaper than RCL, I wonder how their cruises compare?

Cruising is my vacation of choice. I can do as much or as little as I want and as someone said above, I only unpack once and have the same room. It's the easiest vacation for me to plan and I usually add pre or post cruise days to enjoy the departure port.

I can understand wanting to mix up vacation choices, but for me, cruises will be the way to go for awhile. There's just something I love about being on the water :)

Since your wife is wanting a land holiday, have the two of you done any land travel in New Zealand, especially the NZ/South Island?

If you have covered New Zealand, then I'm with you, cruise around New Zealand.

We always have land travel along with our cruise travel, but we are very fortunate to have the time to do that.

For me, New Zealand is my most beautiful place. :)

Edited by SPacificbound

I agree with your wife, honestly can't understand when I see people here that go on the same cruise year after year. It seems so...limiting.

Between my husband and myself we've been on around 15 cruises, 9 different lines, 12 ships. One cruise had about 100 passengers, another had nearly 5000 and the rest were somewhere in-between. Also various ports all over the globe: Europe, Mexico, Alaska, Pacific, Bahamas, Caribbean...

Being from Australia the airfare may be what is keeping you from exploring other cruising options? If not, then I'd suggest you try a cruise to a different location on a different line. If that is not an option, then a land vacation my be your only solution for a happy wife ;)

One option that might suit you both is flying to Singapore, spending a few days exploring there and then cruising back to Sydney on the Voyager repositioning. It goes roughly late October every year. We really enjoyed doing this a few years ago and will likely do it again. Singapore is a great city to spend 3 or 4 nights in pre cruise, and you only have the airfare one way (we flew Scoot from Sydney for $400 in business class)

Edited by BekkaW

Since we are not able to cruise often, we really like to go to different places and see something new. A suggestion, since you have cruised numerous times to NZ, is do a land trip, and alternate. This way you both experience something new. When we had our RV, DH asked that we alternate cruising & RVing since he preferred to RV, now we no longer have the RV, we are cruising more but myself, would love to travel the States also.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Our situation is almost the exact opposite of yours. I prefer cruising and DH, I'm sure, prefers land vacations. He cruises to keep me happy but once he's onboard he enjoys all the places in the world he gets to see and otherwise wouldn't go see for himself. So in the end it's a win-win situation.

We do both cruising and land vacations.

We just returned from 5 days in Cabo and 5 days in Jamaica. We had a great time and it is a break from cruising and changes things up a bit.

We will jump on Serenade for 11 days on the 15th and looking forward to it.

Enjoy whatever you choose to do. :D:D

Sometimes we have sailed for the ship but, mostly we do try to see at least one new port with each cruise. We still seem to end up in Nassau more than I would like................I get bored easily and enjoy variety. If we are repeating a port we try to do a new excursion. At some point, we intend to cruise Europe to shake things up. Changing lines helped also. We plan on doing NCL in the future.

Have you folks done Alaska yet- that is really very special and different. I would advise to take 3-4 extra days to do land though. Rent a car and go to Denali at the very least before boarding the ship in Seward to do a Southbound Alaska cruise.

Have you folks done Alaska yet- that is really very special and different. I would advise to take 3-4 extra days to do land though. I saw Moose walking down the road in Denali, Bears, a wolf and took a helicopter to a glacier and went dogsledding on the ice. It is a trip of a lifetime to me. (I have done it twice) and getting ready in two years to do an entire family trip there to do 5 days land and 7 day cruise for 10 of us for my retirement trip. Rent a car and go to Denali at the very least before boarding the ship in Seward to do a Southbound Alaska cruise.