My experience on the lost & found service from RCCL

Chardz

Just want to update you guys if there's anyone who actually face the same situation as me.

If you guys have actually left anything on the ship, please please.. on that very day try your best to get an answer !! No matter how many phone calls you made and etc.. Please do it yourself and not trusting the CS of royal carribean. Trust me they won't do anything (from my own experience).

After 6 months, i am like being pushed here and there by the CS, and till today.. Nothing has been done.

They speak well, they promised your well, and they just have their way to push the blame here and there!

That is such a frustrating situation. I'm so sorry!

At this point I'm sad to say that the odds low you will be able to recover those items left behind. The cabin steward may have not seen them and the next passengers may have picked them up. I find things left from previous passengers many times. Nothing like a diamond ring though. I would have turned that in.

You could try filing a claim with your homeowner's insurance if you didn't take out travel insurance.

Fortunately we've never left anything behind in the safe (knock on wood) but I read a tip on the CC forums not too long ago that I will be implementing on future cruises - everything in the safe goes into a waterproof bag. There are two reasons for this: (1) for just this reason - little things getting lost in the dark corners of the safe; and (2) in case of an emergency and we need to exit the ship in a hurry (especially in the middle of the night), the important stuff (wallets, passports, medication, etc.) is in the safe and all together in one waterproof bag - grab it and go.

I do this too. Just grab a laundry bag (hopefully plastic) from the Pre-cruise hotel. I also run my hand all the way to the back of the "empty" safe (over and under the pad). Got that clue on a Princess Disembarkation video on about our 4th cruise. Haven't heard that tip before or since.

I've lost my lens hood from my camera, never saw it again. But it was the same lens hood that the photographers on the ship used. DH lost his mobile in embarkation security, and a few days later it arrived in showed up. Probably a disappointing find for whoever, since it's a go phone w/ under $100 credit.

I put luggage tags on my camera strap, and also print a postcard w/ my luggage tag for the devices. Everything gets a luggage tag, even the carry-ons. Heard a story about a woman that left her bag in the cab, and somehow it arrived on the ship!

OP, really hope you get your stuff back!

On FOTS, we found a full suitcase under the bed. I can't imagine how someone left without their suitcase!!! Gave it to the cabin attendant, but now I wonder what ever happened to it! it had a luggage tag on it. It had survived two sailings, when I found it.

On Celebrity (a sailing with not too many kids), my son left his book in the Oceanview café. We had been gone about 10 minutes, went back and the book was gone. Asked all the workers in the area, and no one had seen it. Went to lost and found, checked every day of the cruise, and the book was never turned in. Who steals a $10 children's paperback?

It's a little late for this idea now -- but I've seen this suggested on CC before to those who have found items in the safe, when they board.

Post a message to your roll call -- it's possible that someone who lost or found anything would have posted to those who were on the cruise looking for their items, or the rightful owner.

Love the idea of the items in a bag, in the safe !!

To the OP, I really hope you get your things back. I know, I would be heartbroken. We all do things that we wish we hadn't, but it does happen. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. If your things aren't returned, you just have to chalk it up to experience and I'm sure you will never let it happen to you again.

On my last cruise, when I was cleaning out the safe, I found a credit card under the mat in the safe. I immediately took it to Guest Relations. I don't know how long it was in the safe and I'm sure the owner had already cancelled it. I have no idea what they did with it or if they even contacted the person whose name was on the card.

I would try contacting your insurance company. It wouldn't hurt and it might surprise you. I would suggest insurance on any valuable jewelry you have in the future. I did that after I accidentally threw away a piece of fairly expensive jewelry on a cruise. I was heartbroken, but it happened and it was my fault, so I just accepted it and moved on. I did replace the piece of jewelry (with the help of my husband), so all turned out good. I now have insurance on my jewelry, just in case!

Good luck....

Gwen :)

• 3 years later...

I'm replying to this topic because I don't seen anything more recent -but I will look! 

We are having a TERRIBLE experience with Lost and Found. 

Within 90 minutes of getting off the ship, we filled out the online form. I know think that doesn't get looked at right away. I wish I had called the port, or something else! We got the obligatory emails of getting our request, 5 days later still searching etc. for weeks. I finally contacted customer service and got told "Sorry." 

This item was a set of headphones, with the business card in the case. Yes, as a person pointed out earlier on this thread. We should have "searched the room extensively." We typically do. It was an error. BUT if they had followed procedure for recovery, they would have called us! We were still in port for a day - we could have gone and picked them up! 

After 6 weeks of requesting a credit on a future cruise equal to the amount of the headphones (we didn't even want cash) we were told by Mr. Bayley's office. 'Sorry, no' 

$400 isn't worth keeping our business? It's so frustrating and people here won't agree with us and say it's all our fault. But the item was either stolen by staff or not found while cleaning the room and stolen by the next guest. Either way, they failed in procedures. It's ridiculous! 

My sister travels  a lot with her children, they’ve left their electronics on airplanes, cruises and hotels (also ADD). She has also purchased many sweatshirts in airports. If you leave it behind, no one is obligated to return things to you. I can’t image the volume of stuff that gets left each and every cruise.

My wife and I cruise often and we have long since learned that the only jewelry we bring on a cruise are the engagement ring and wedding ring that she sleeps with and never takes off.  Other than that, our watches and the rest of her jewelry goes to the safe deposit box before we leave for a cruise and we wear inexpensive stainless steel watches during cruises.  Nevertheless, we have suffered an expensive loss during a cruise; her removable denture.  She removes that before bed and leaves it overnight in a paper cup in the bathroom.  One morning, she forgot to put it on before going to breakfast and when we returned to the room, the cup and the denture were both gone.  The denture was never found and I assume that the cabin attendant thought that the paper cup was trash and did not even look inside it.  It never even occurred to me that the loss was anyone's responsibility but ours.  On another occasion, my wife left her handbag behind at a Schooner Bar.  Fortunately, that was found but the cash in it was gone.  However, we always knew to carry only enough cash to cover the current day's gratuities and to leave the rest in the room safe so that loss was minimal.  The bottom line is that the cruise line has no responsibility for anything you leave behind so we bring only the valuables that we actually need to have on a cruise and we even store those in the room safe when they are not in use, along with cash, passports, drivers licenses and credit cards.  We always make doubly sure that the room safe is empty before we debark the ship.

• Like 1

Here is the link to the actual Lost and Found service where you can itemize the lost  items and start a case:

https://www.chargerback.com/reportlostitemcbembed.asp?customerid=14677&languagecode=en-US

I had an experience on Princess where I lost a Bose Noise Cancelling headset during an Alaska  Cruisetour. I reported it on this service for Princess, and was amazed that they actually found the items.

It may be too late now for your lost items, but this would be the most direct way to tell the ship that an item was lost.

Steve

I left a jacket on an upper deck chair last year.  Case of SO thought I grabbed and I thought he grabbed.  Went right to guest services as soon as I realized and nada that day or the day after.  On the third day, I came back to my cabin to find it on the bed and laundered.  Apparently the pool attendant found it on the ground, under the chair, wet and dirty.  It was happy and totally surprised to get it back and I made sure to let RCCL know.  I am sorry you aren't having such luck.  I hope things turn around for you.  

• Like 1

I have had the complete opposite experience. I left my diamond ring in the safe. I almost always make sure to feel around the whole safe to be sure nothing is left, of course in this instance I did not. After flying home I realized i had left it, I called RCCL, they gave me the website for lost and found. They ask for a complete description etc.. Shortly after, maybe the next day, I got an e-mail that it had been found in the safe. I paid the postage and a week later (maybe two) I received it! I certainly NEVER expected to get it back, it was completely my own fault but I thought I would a least try and am so glad I did.

I always leave all my valuable jewelry home now  🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Murfturf, you might want to start a new thread, rather than replying to s three year old one. 

They're probably better off not just to avoid more 'it's your own fault' comments...not that I agree with @mufturf. I don't see Royal being responsible for they're loss.

1 hour ago, JupiterTwo said:

Here is the link to the actual Lost and Found service where you can itemize the lost  items and start a case:

https://www.chargerback.com/reportlostitemcbembed.asp?customerid=14677&languagecode=en-US

I had an experience on Princess where I lost a Bose Noise Cancelling headset during an Alaska  Cruisetour. I reported it on this service for Princess, and was amazed that they actually found the items.

It may be too late now for your lost items, but this would be the most direct way to tell the ship that an item was lost.

Steve

That's the exact link we used. And received "we're still looking" emails every 5 days for a month.

Nice to hear that Princess found your headset - that's the exact headset my husband left on Freedom of the Seas. We realize it's gone. We are baffled by the ineptitude and dishonesty all around. My children have lost things at school, and other kids just bring them home. Whenever I find an item, I try to find the owner rather than "turn it in" because I know how rarely that makes it to the original owner. 

35 minutes ago, Big_G said:

They're probably better off not just to avoid more 'it's your own fault' comments...not that I agree with @mufturf. I don't see Royal being responsible for they're loss.

I figured usually when people start their own threads they are advised to search for existing threads. Just thought another experience could be added to the mix for anyone who was searching. 

I think the staff know that left items are free game and that is the larger problem, more so than reimbursement. I'm shocked as I read more how many people do NOT recover lost items on Royal. It seems to be standard procedure. I'm aware it's "our fault" but the recovery rate should be much higher for a respectable cruise line. I'm glad to hear Princess recovered an item, that is encouraging. I have had hotels find items for us as well as rental cars. (Sounds like we leave a lot of things - but we travel extensively with up to 8 people including children, so the odds are that it happens every five years or so.) 

43 minutes ago, murfturf said:

I figured usually when people start their own threads they are advised to search for existing threads. Just thought another experience could be added to the mix for anyone who was searching. 

I think the staff know that left items are free game and that is the larger problem, more so than reimbursement. I'm shocked as I read more how many people do NOT recover lost items on Royal. It seems to be standard procedure. I'm aware it's "our fault" but the recovery rate should be much higher for a respectable cruise line. I'm glad to hear Princess recovered an item, that is encouraging. I have had hotels find items for us as well as rental cars. (Sounds like we leave a lot of things - but we travel extensively with up to 8 people including children, so the odds are that it happens every five years or so.) 

I sympathize with your frustration but Royal Caribbean carried over 6 million passengers in 2018. How many posts have you read about missing items not being returned? I wouldn't judge entire cruise line based a few unreturned items that were complained about on social media.

@murfturf First, just because you paid $400 for them doesn't mean that's what they're worth. It's called depreciation. Second, I once left a pair of $150 sunglasses (they were about a year old so let's say $75) on the swim up bar at a resort. Should I then blame the bartender because they weren't there when I came back 5 minutes later? 

We teach children at an early age to keep track of their things. Heck even "shuffle your feet, lose your seat" and "finders keepers, losers weepers".

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, GEORGIEGIRL said:

Why are we wasting our time on a situation that was over 3 years ago.

Move on with your life...... I'm sure you have better things to do. I know I do.

I don't think it's pulling up a 3 year old situation. It's a compilation for people who have had issues. Take it as a warning, or to find people in the same boat. Or, to praise the system and prove it works. My issue wasn't 3 years ago. 

4 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

@murfturf First, just because you paid $400 for them doesn't mean that's what they're worth. It's called depreciation. Second, I once left a pair of $150 sunglasses (they were about a year old so let's say $75) on the swim up bar at a resort. Should I then blame the bartender because they weren't there when I came back 5 minutes later? 

We teach children at an early age to keep track of their things. Heck even "shuffle your feet, lose your seat" and "finders keepers, losers weepers".

Good points. Although, a bartender has less responsibility to the contents on the bar than a stateroom attendant to a passengers belongings in the room. I also don't teach my children "finder's keepers." I teach them to return items to proper owners. 

• Like 1