How far do you travel

merknerk

As I live at the bottom of the world (New Zealand) we are used to flying long distances to go anywhere to join a cruise except Australia. About 22 hours flying time to Fort Lauderdale and 26 hours to Southampton and we generally arrive the same day that we depart due to time differences.

Another here from the land down under. Lots of interesting stuff on the other side of the globe so lots of flying for us. I usually fly to Europe twice a year. Last year we flew Sydney to Dallas. Very long flight. One of the longest out there. They weight restrict the plane so it has enough fuel.

We have cruised out of Copenhagen, Miami, Vancouver, Rome, Cologne, Amsterdam.

Flying to Singapore next month to cruise to England. Thrn flying to Rome in October for a cruise from there. No place is too far as far as I'm concerned. Whatever it takes. You can always sleep later.

The longest for a cruise would be: Toronto - LA - Sydney - Cairns. Over a day of travel not counting the 1 hr+ to get to the airport from home and layovers. Getting to Ft. Lauderdale is a 2.5+ hour direct flight. But we have flown to/from Vancouver, San Diego, Moscow, London Barbados, Cadiz, and will be adding Amsterdam next year.

In the winter we will typically fly 20-24 hours to a destination. Because of the distances and our desire for warmer weather we typically travel for 2 1/2-3 months. Air travel in the summer is shorter-usually 10-14 hours Europe. But we typically stay for 6-10 weeks. Our flights are usually either open jaws or one ways.

We typically have a few budget airline flights inside these trips. The longest was 9 hours from Kuala Lumpur to Gold Coast (Brisbane). We usually plan a flexible land trip and then pick up a cruise just prior to leaving home or while we are travelling. This winter we have no plans to cruise so it will be strictly beach and land travels.

Edited by iancal

Live on east coast US. Have traveled Savannah to Singapore, 33 hrs. door to 'door'. When you.ve been traveling that long in coach, jet lag is irrelevant.

I can believe that! You are a stronger person than I am. After our economy seat flight from Tampa to Auckand a few years ago, I swore I would never fly that distance unless it was business class. Now, I am waiting for HAL to resume the Pacific Grand Voyages. R/T California. Please, HAL. . . .

Our longest to date has been from South Dakota to Venice, Italy. However, in less than 2 months we will top that with a trip to Hong Kong and the Volendam. We return from Tokyo, leaving at 5 pm on Monday and will arrive home at 4 pm on the same Monday -- fast trip as we go back in time :D

DT

We are going from Chicago to Auckland in a few weeks to join the Noordam. Chicago - LA - HNL (overnight) then Auckland. On the way back we do the Sydney-Dallas flight that was mentioned earlier and connect back to Chicago. We did Chicago-LA-Sydney round trip a few years ago.

I think the "winners" here go to those in Australia/New Zealand because they do this sort of thing so often to cruise.

From our home airport it's about a 13.5 hour flight to Rome... However, most International flights leave LAX in the late afternoon, early evening... so, we lose a day flying. For our trip in May, we'll leave our home around noon on Tuesday & will arrive at our hotel in Barcelona around 5 pm on Wednesday, so we pretty much lose two days to travel.

We only go every other year, but try & make the trips for close to a month due to the long flights.

We are about 2,500 miles from the nearest land mass.

Our last trip was a round trip from Barcelona to Barcelona - about 18-19 hors and 10,000+ miles.

The prior trip was from Vacounver to Fort Launderdale. Just a hop across the pond 3,000 or so miles to Vancouver and 5,500 from Fort Launderdale back toonoluolu.

Also have flown for cruises starting in Hong Kong or Shanghai and back here from Tokyo or Singapore but shorter fllights to Canada to Montreal cruises or Alaska!

So, as said, we have to travel at least 2,500 miles to catch a cruise - except the 3 miles to catch the cruise around these islands!

We live 90 minutes - 2 hrs from the Albuquerque airport so when flying east to Florida (which takes all day with connections and we take early morning flights for decent arrival times), we leave home the night before and stay at a hotel nearby. This works well and gives us that day before flying to drain the house plumbing and a leisurely drive to town in the afternoon.

When cruising out of a San Diego or Long Beach/LA San Pedro we have a short flight 2 hrs nonstop, or drive 15 hours with an overnight in Yuma and a 2-3 hr drive to the port in the morning. We fly to San Francisco; we drive to Vancouver with a stopover in Seattle to visit family.

DH doesn't like to have to fly over 5 hrs per leg, so when we go to Europe or Australia/New Zealand we combine cruises and short flights:

For Europe we stay in New England with family or friends and jump off from Boston to Iceland, stay there a few days or connect to Europe (good one way fares on IcelandAir), tour Europe for some weeks, maybe cruise the Med or take a river cruise, and take a transatlantic cruise back to the States, fly back to Albuquerque, overnight again and drive home early enough to get some groceries and up to the mountains to get the house unfrozen and the water system back up!

For Australia/New Zealand we cruised from LA to Sydney (21 days), toured 6 weeks, cruised Sydney to New Zealand, toured 4 weeks, flew 5 hours to Tahiti, stayed a week, cruised 3 weeks including up to Hawaii, flew 5 hours to LA, connected to Albuquerque.

The longest we've left the car at the airport parking lot was 11 weeks but the long-term parking bill was only $177, cheap compared to most places!

m--

So many of these posts have demonstrated that there are a lot of us who are willing to expend a great deal of time, energy, and money, to feed our collective passion for travel.

Good for us! :D

We are flying from Sydney Australia to Venice to board the Eurodam on May 6. 14.5 hrs Sydney to Dubai then 6.5 hrs Dubai to Venice

We did exactly that in 2014 on the Noordam' date=' flying via Dubai. I found Dubai to be the most annoying major airport I've ever been in! We flew back from Barcelona. Wonderful memorable cruise. Enjoy your cruise.

Ozcruizer

[/color']

Our longest flight was from Sydney to Amsterdam via Singapore for a cruise to Norway and the Baltic States in 2013. However, we have flown to Amsterdam a number of times as DH was born in Holland. It's about 24 hours for us.

We will have a long flight in September as we will be flying from Sydney to Vancouver via Hong Kong which I think (from memory) is going to take 20 hours. We will be cruising from Vancouver to Hong Kong. Very much looking forward to it as it will be on our favourite smaller ship, the Volendam. Living in Australia, it's part and parcel of taking cruises unless you just do cruises to NZ (which we've done twice) or the South Pacific.

Ozcruizer

We are going from Chicago to Auckland in a few weeks to join the Noordam. Chicago - LA - HNL (overnight) then Auckland. On the way back we do the Sydney-Dallas flight that was mentioned earlier and connect back to Chicago. We did Chicago-LA-Sydney round trip a few years ago.

I think the "winners" here go to those in Australia/New Zealand because they do this sort of thing so often to cruise.

Haha! I knew one day is win at something.

We do have cruises here but mainly Island cruises and New Zealand so pretty limited ports. There are a few more ships relocating here as the baby boomers love cruising and there are a lot of us. Cruise lines are offering one way airfare deals with cruises to the likes of Singapore, Hong Kong and Tokyo.

I can't resist Europe though. To me it's worth the travel time.

We live three hours south of Sydney Australia. Took a cruise starting in Istanbul. Door to dock was 37 hours. Customs in Istanbul and Hals transfer was a nightmare - 3hours. Once on deck a beer or two was needed to calm me down. The 33 day cruise was superb.