Propulsion Damage on the Anthem !!

FIRELT5

Does the Anthem have a peek-a-boo bridge? If so I would have liked watching what was happening on the bridge during those 12 hours. That might have been a two edge sword had I been watching them with worry but not necessarily panic on their faces. I don't think any of the officers and crew will soon forget what it was like.

Huh? First off, the thread where ehfl linked doesn't have anything near it about damage to the pods, other than some speculation that there "must be" some because it was a storm. Not tracking that link. And then not tracking your reference to it, with regards to weather.

Again, no damage to the pod, just a few parts worn prematurely, and a pod secured to prevent further damage. The Bahamas Maritime Authority, not you, will be the one to decide whether RCI's procedures for passage planning need to be revised. And what cover up? They reported to the USCG that they had shut down a pod, and cooperated with the USCG during the Port State inspection, and didn't rebut any statements made by the USCG, so I don't see any cover up, but then I'm not a conspiracy theorist.

Why do you have to confuse us with the facts when we're right in the middle of good rumors and conspiracy theories? :D

Actually, thank you for your experience and expertise. It's nice to know that there are still people that can explain situations with plain , simple facts.

Does the Anthem have a peek-a-boo bridge? If so I would have liked watching what was happening on the bridge during those 12 hours. That might have been a two edge sword had I been watching them with worry but not necessarily panic on their faces. I don't think any of the officers and crew will soon forget what it was like.

No it doesn't.

Since this thread is about Anthem here are some shots of its bridge.

P1121418%202_zps9ahl5pbs.jpg

P1121419_zpsosvx86ts.jpg

P1121415a_zpsyfokmq7b.jpg

This is the Chart/Control room just behind bridge.

P1121421_zpso0n0bcai.jpg

P1121423_zps0n3pbx55.jpg

Can't zoom in, and old eyes are not what they used to be, but I see: 4095 + 1407 = 5502? Maybe that dratted European crossed 7?

I'm not sure why you are having trouble zooming in ...

Zoom%20I_zps0srzx9ps.jpg

Zoom%20ii_zpsri5zkf9f.jpg

Perhaps you should get a Mazda ... :)

41a-P4Sg5fL.jpg

Edited by Cuizer2

Most likely not that interesting. Lots of hanging on to handrails and swaying back and forth. A great helmsman quietly keeping the ship heading into the wind using that ridiculously small wheel, anticipating what the sea wants to do to the ship, and fighting a personal struggle against the seas. The Captain standing there with his anal sphincter so tight it could snap a pencil in half, and a bunch of junior officers trying to keep stuff from flying all over the place. Even given the Captain's statement that this was his worst day at sea, I doubt there was any outside show of worry on his face.

I'm not sure why you are having trouble zooming in ...

Perhaps you should get a Mazda ... :)

Heck, my internet is so spotty, half of your pictures never loaded completely, so I spend half my time guessing. And this baby is a Hyundai! (That's where the main engine is built).

It would have been more fun to be on the North Star at that time.

The opposite.

Someone posted a link to a video of a ship in high seas ... Video actually had a title saying it was the Anthem. The bow was the giveaway....it was not the bow of the Anthem as seen in above photo. A photo of the Anthem followed to disprove the video.

Edited by beachnative

The opposite.

Someone posted a link to a video of a ship in high seas ... Video actually had a title saying it was the Anthem. The bow was the giveaway....it was not the bow of the Anthem as seen in above photo. A photo of the Anthem followed to disprove the video.

Gotcha. Thanks. :)

Without propulsion, Anthem would just float around like a cork. That would mean sooner or later she would have been hit broadsides by a 30 ft wave, and that would not have been good.

Propulsion allows the skipper to keep a ship headed into the wind/waves.

If I remember correctly, the captain radioed he had lost propulsion, and the ill fated Faro only had one screw, so had zero redundancy.

The 748 was simply Boeing waving the white flag and not being able to take on such a monumental task as Airbus had taken on its shoulders at the time. Let's keep in mind that Boeing was keen on being the first to bring the first double-decker plane to the skies, but once they looked at the numbers they just couldn't do it.

I think the 777 and how that project went way over-budget must have been a factor.

Airbus, on the other hand, also had its qualms about the feasibility of the project. But fast forward to today and boy is that piece of machinery a joy to watch. This is the most advanced (civilian) aircraft humankind has ever constructed.

To me the Dreamliner - which seems a joke-of-a-name because the only people in la-la-land are the accountants looking at fuel costs - is a major let down. Small plane, nothing special, just burns less fuel and has bigger windows - which on a side note doesn't make me feel more comfortable at all.

Getting back to the Anthem of the Seas, what is the hypothetical scenario if during the storm both azipods went offline? I assume it would be near impossible to hold the desired heading whilst drifting?

Edited by AtleeH

I can zoom in on others' pictures too - if they email me the original photo. ;)

The original doesn't have to be email to you if a shot is linked to in a post here.

You simply right click on it and select Save Picture As to download it to your device. Then one can crop, zoom in or modify that picture using Paint or other picture software.

Here's your shot that I have modified, added arrow and uploaded to CC for a thumbnail display.

attachment.php?attachmentid=376715&d=1455482312

FE-DSC_6319_zpsfk4bvgah01.jpg.acead223f0a217759df116b44ef140db.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

I recognize that bow. Didn't someone earlier in one of these threads insist that was the bow of a freighter? :confused:

No, actually someone tried to pass off youtube video as being from the Anthem when it was not. Shot was clearly from something other than a cruise ship... it was pretty funny actually

Getting back to the Anthem of the Seas, what is the hypothetical scenario if during the storm both azipods went offline? I assume it would be near impossible to hold the desired heading whilst drifting?

Without propulsion, Anthem would just float around like a cork. That would mean sooner or later she would have been hit broadsides by a 30 ft wave, and that would not have been good.

Propulsion allows the skipper to keep a ship headed into the wind/waves.

If I remember correctly, the captain radioed he had lost propulsion, and the ill fated Faro only had one screw, so had zero redundancy.

If a ship still had its bow thrusters, Anthem has four of these each producing 4,694 horsepower, these could be used to at least keep the bow into the wind and waves. ;)