Anthem Feb 13 Sailing would you cancel?

TNCruzer56

First of all how did you get that little bug on your message? I spent a minute trying to wipe it off my monitor! The one question I haven't seen is who made the actual decision to head out into the storm-the captain or the home office worried about keeping to the schedule? We were on a Carnival ship leaving Cozumel a few years ago and I was on the top deck taking pictures when I noticed a huge dark squall line heading in our direction. Our captain apparently had a little too much confidence in the ship's side thrusters as he pulled away from the dock. A few minutes later we were hit by 70mph winds and pushed into the side of a RCCL ship docked across the harbor. Fortunately the collision was side to side so not a lot of damage.

Put this in your signature.

http://www.skiciyiz.biz/snowboard/avatar36_9.gif

Would I?

I tried to be on THIS cruise.

I was on the two cruises before this one.

I went to Guest Services to inquire about any available cabins.

The answer was: unfortunately, the February 6th cruise is sold out.

Or I could have been on board! ;)

and his bunch of $$ hungry weather bug rejects. Would you take your beloved family aboard...I wouldn`t

I hope he is the captain on our upcoming cruise!!

You have no clue what you are even posting about. You just wanna jump on the bandwagon of idiots...

So...how do you guys figure out who your Captain/Crew/Cruise Director are going to be on future cruises?? Is there a roster somewhere?

Also, what does "HD" mean when you're referring to your husband/SO?

Harley Davidson?

Huckleberry Deluxe?

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Captains: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1441813

Cruise Directors: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2245980

While I do hesitate to feed trolls...

I would cruise again with Capt. Claus and the entire crew in a heartbeat.

I was onboard for the cruise in question, and I thought he did an excellent job.

We came out of a bad situation just fine, and that's what counts.

I suspect it works with cruise lines, like it works with airlines. The Capt. consults with dispatch and meteo team, and Capt. decides based on the information fed to him, and advice from dispatch.

Do I know this for certain? No. But I think folks are being WAY too hard on him. He did a damn good job fighting to keep our bow pointed into the wind and waves, which he HAD to do.

So...how do you guys figure out who your Captain/Crew/Cruise Director are going to be on future cruises?? Is there a roster somewhere?

Also, what does "HD" mean when you're referring to your husband/SO?

Harley Davidson?

Huckleberry Deluxe?

:D:D:D:D:D:D

HD = Hotel Director

CD = Cruise Director

Some people use the letter "D" to mean "dear". Dear Husband = DH DD = Dear Daughter etc etc etc

Edited by Merion_Mom

I suspect it works with cruise lines, like it works with airlines. The Capt. consults with dispatch and meteo team, and Capt. decides based on the information fed to him, and advice from dispatch.

Do I know this for certain? No. But I think folks are being WAY too hard on him. He did a damn good job fighting to keep our bow pointed into the wind and waves, which he HAD to do.

I agree. He did NOT make the decision to sail in a bubble. Royal even stated already that they have an onshore team that makes these decisions, they're just enhancing it now with the new team they're forming. Honestly I think it would be a very poor decision on Royal's part to make the captain a scapegoat for this and fire him to shut up the media.

This captain just fought a hurricane-strength storm in a 168k ton ship and won. Do you really want to get rid of someone with that type of skill? Personally, I think Royal should have him speak to every other captain in the fleet to say, "hey, if you get stuck in this situation, here's what worked and here's what didn't during the storm." Also mandate all captains, officers, AND corporate decision makers to complete extensive meteorology training with regular re-certification. (Edit - even this is no guarantee! Weather changes, moves, gets worse. Any captain should be prepared to handle this or worse.)

Just saying - I think there are better ways to learn from this scenario instead of just firing the captain as a quick way to look like they're doing something to the press. Improving their long-term processes and training may not be as "sexy" or scandalous to the press, but perhaps that should be seen as a good thing. (Edit - regardless of whether it could have initially been avoided, additional training never hurts!)

Edited by jamiebytes

A forecast last Thursday night (Feb 4) from the NWS Ocean Prediction Center said that by Sunday night, the Atlantic Ocean off the Carolinas would experience winds up to 50 knots (57.5 mph) and seas up to to 31 feet. By Saturday afternoon, forecasts were calling for 65 knot (75 mph)winds and seas to 11.5 meters (about 38 feet) by noon Sunday.

The Anthem has highly multiple sophisticated meteorological systems aboard.

On Saturday has was fully aware the monster was growing, (barometric pressure falling, isobars getting tighter and a defined "eye" was forming.

He knew this on SATURDAY. Armed with the information that the beast was growing, he just headed right into it.

On Sunday at 1 or 2, he could have turned around. pressure system

capture3.jpg?resize=800%2C548

If you wish to back up your arguments with 1st hand marine meteorology, please present your credentials.

Otherwise your just another uneducated troll.

No quoting of mainstream news channels allowed.

First of all how did you get that little bug on your message? I spent a minute trying to wipe it off my monitor! The one question I haven't seen is who made the actual decision to head out into the storm-the captain or the home office worried about keeping to the schedule? We were on a Carnival ship leaving Cozumel a few years ago and I was on the top deck taking pictures when I noticed a huge dark squall line heading in our direction. Our captain apparently had a little too much confidence in the ship's side thrusters as he pulled away from the dock. A few minutes later we were hit by 70mph winds and pushed into the side of a RCCL ship docked across the harbor. Fortunately the collision was side to side so not a lot of damage.

That was Enchantment that your ship hit.

R&D