Some facts about Anthem sailing 2/6/16

winslow050

I was on the Anthem of the Seas for the February 6th sailing, I have also been on over 75 cruises and I think I have some knowledge of cruising, it was bad weather the ship did rock and rock things did fly off counters, glasses breaking, we lost a full bottle of wine :( BUT there was no 4 HARROWING days at sea... news media totally blew this out of the water (pun intended) the bad weather lasted about 12 hours from 3pm Sunday afternoon to about 2:30am Monday morning...

The Captain explained the he was sailing further out to sea to avoid the storm the storm was suppose to hug the coast and the storm took a sudden turn and we ran into it.

At no time did I ever FEAR for my life, like some people said, it was rough at times but to me never life threatening. I feel bad for first time cruisers, I hope they give cruising another try because to me cruising is one of the best ways to vacation.

RCCL in my opinion did a lot for the passengers on board while we confined to our cabins for safety, all pay preview movies were free for the rest of the cruise, mini bar was free, next day open bar, full refund for this cruise and 50% off a future cruise... which we booked another cruise yesterday...AND never lost satellite connection, we were able to watch the entire Super Bowl and had internet thru the storm...and if you parked at the pier you are being refunded parking fee's

I really don't post much...BUT all the stories that I have read or saw on the news I had to say something. and to the people who claim the they are gonna file a law suit...get a life if you were at home and the weather forecasters said the the storm was gonna be here but took a turn and hit you would you file a law suit against the weather forecasters.. weather happens especially at sea.

I will be back on RCCL in 2 weeks and enjoying another great cruise, and looking forward to many more.

Considering you have 75 cruises under your belt, you have probably experience bad weather and probably some really bad weather more than once.

I am sure the people saying they felt they were going to die hand little to no cruise experience and this probably scared them for life and it will be doubtful they ever set foot on a ship again.

The captain and the company should not have sailed knowing this storm was forecasted days before and they sailed right into it. So much for risk management.

I've actually been avoiding most of these Anthem threads, but I'm glad I chose to open yours. 😊 thanks for sharing your thoughts, it was a refreshing read. Enjoy your next sailing and I hope it doesn't involve another wine bottle casualty!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Wow... You're very fortunate for having been on 75 cruises. Thanks for sharing your experience. Can imagine it being very scary for new cruisers as you say. Good to hear that Royal did what they could to make it easier for you all.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Interesting that they refunded parking fees. Did they provide any assistance with flight change fees/extra ticket costs?

yes they did any flight changes, fees will all be refunded on board you could call you airlines also if you could not get a flight for a few days RCCL put passengers up in hotels until their flights were scheduled

Thank you for sharing your first-hand experience. Very refreshing!

I'm guessing the ones who have bee starting thread after thread to whine, put forth conspiracy theories, call for the captain to be shot etc. will be unusually quiet on this thread. :rolleyes:

Great post of the OP. As the saying goes: " Loose lips sink ships!" It alway amazes me how much the media makes out of everything. Blow up as much as it get´s . So so sorry for the people, which are so bored in their lifes that they cling to sensation like a starving one after bread.

Some make a hobby out of filling law suits- law suits- what for? For bad weather??? A sturm can turn unexpectedly- now the poor captain get´s all the blame? Oh well- as Dickens wrote- it was the best of times, it was the worst of times...!

I was also onboard the Feb 6 ailing and I agree with the original poster. We had a bad 12 hours and on Monday morning some services were slow in getting back up but by noon most things were functioning normally.

If people did not enjoy the rest of the cruise it was because they did not want to.

I only listen to experts when I look for opinions and the OPs 70+ cruises makes them a cruise expert in my opinion.

Great to see what a REAL cruiser has to say. Of course the media would never cover their point of view because it does not fit the NEWS of today....sensationalism at any cost!

BILL

Edited by BILL-WI

I was on the Anthem of the Seas for the February 6th sailing, I have also been on over 75 cruises and I think I have some knowledge of cruising, it was bad weather the ship did rock and rock things did fly off counters, glasses breaking, we lost a full bottle of wine :( BUT there was no 4 HARROWING days at sea... news media totally blew this out of the water (pun intended) the bad weather lasted about 12 hours from 3pm Sunday afternoon to about 2:30am Monday morning...

The Captain explained the he was sailing further out to sea to avoid the storm the storm was suppose to hug the coast and the storm took a sudden turn and we ran into it.

At no time did I ever FEAR for my life, like some people said, it was rough at times but to me never life threatening. I feel bad for first time cruisers, I hope they give cruising another try because to me cruising is one of the best ways to vacation.

RCCL in my opinion did a lot for the passengers on board while we confined to our cabins for safety, all pay preview movies were free for the rest of the cruise, mini bar was free, next day open bar, full refund for this cruise and 50% off a future cruise... which we booked another cruise yesterday...AND never lost satellite connection, we were able to watch the entire Super Bowl and had internet thru the storm...and if you parked at the pier you are being refunded parking fee's

I really don't post much...BUT all the stories that I have read or saw on the news I had to say something. and to the people who claim the they are gonna file a law suit...get a life if you were at home and the weather forecasters said the the storm was gonna be here but took a turn and hit you would you file a law suit against the weather forecasters.. weather happens especially at sea.

I will be back on RCCL in 2 weeks and enjoying another great cruise, and looking forward to many more.

Thank you for posting!! Most posts started from people on board have been positive and very welcomed.

The others.... not even worth commenting

I was also onboard the Feb 6 ailing and I agree with the original poster. We had a bad 12 hours and on Monday morning some services were slow in getting back up but by noon most things were functioning normally.

If people did not enjoy the rest of the cruise it was because they did not want to.

Thank you for your comments too :)

Thank you for sharing, I have not paid much attention to the media but have read many posts here and feel the best people to listen to are those who experienced this first hand. Thank you for sharing your views. While we have been fortunate and not experienced really bad weather, we accept the fact, to enjoy cruising and being on the ocean, we are willing to deal with bad weather. A cruise ship against the size of our oceans, is going to move . I am glad to hear there were no injuries.

I was on the cruise also - First it was a very bad storm - much worse then anyone expected. The Capt. first and foremost kept us safe. The ship did sustain damage some cosmetic some a little more. I think Royal worked hard to make up for what happened. I started another thread for others on the cruise to post their thoughts and memories about what happened. I still hope people use it just for that purpose to save their unique experiences. We all come from different places and also experienced different events on the same cruise. We all have a different view of the event that is unquietly ours.

I am retired Navy and have worked on ships, and sailed some - when the Captain said this was the worst storm he ever experienced I believe him. When he said the ship was never in Jeopardy - I also believe him. Last when they said the ship was routed to avoid the storm - I believe them. They never said there was not a storm - they knew there was a storm but I believe they really thought they could skirt it. They were wrong, but that is all.

The cruise director and staff onboard did a great job to make the best of the rest of the cruise. It was not the cruise we wanted or booked but I am not traumatized or anything even close to it. Mostly I am disappointed that we did not get to have the cruise we planned but - stuff happens. I will sail again and I will sail again on Royal.

On the positive side I will always remember Super Bowl 50 - how many people get to watch their favorite team win the super bowl while in the middle of a Hurricane on a Cruise ship. :D:cool:

We were on this cruise too. We were actually pretty happy when they announced our arrival would be 9pm (instead of the original 6am), and that we wouldn't have to disembark until Thursday. We were excited to have another full day at sea! This allowed us one more day to see the Name that Tune game show and Spectras Cabaret, and to eat at Chops grill. We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise! Glad to hear you did too!