Class is back

skandls

Just some thoughts on cruising. The mass market cruise lines are going to a class system. Thank you NCL. Suites will pay bigger bucks and get better food, drinks and amenities. have to accept that when I started cruising the experience was expensive and very service oriented.

I am one of you who is not happy with the growing movement to devalue membership perks and expand suite guests perks. I do understand why the cruise lines are going in this direction. I do think as the C&A memberships gets devalued RCI need to find ways to reward the majority of cruisers who do quantity but still want quality.

Just some thoughts on cruising. The mass market cruise lines are going to a class system. Thank you NCL. Suites will pay bigger bucks and get better food, drinks and amenities. have to accept that when I started cruising the experience was expensive and very service oriented.

I am one of you who is not happy with the growing movement to devalue membership perks and expand suite guests perks. I do understand why the cruise lines are going in this direction. I do think as the C&A memberships gets devalued RCI need to find ways to reward the majority of cruisers who do quantity but still want quality.

Why do you think it ever went away? It has evolved. You pay more, you get more. That's not a class system in the classic way. It always amazes me when people expect to get the same things as people who spend more money. Just like hotels have conceierge rooms and resorts have areas restricted to those that are willing to pay for it. The reality is, if you're willing to spend the money, you get more. Not everyone who stays in suites is in a higher socioecomic group, nor are all people who cruise on the cheap in lower economic groups.

Edited by BND

Why do you think it ever went away? It has evolved. You pay more, you get more. That's not a class system in the classic way. It always amazes me when people expect to get the same things as people who spend more money. Just like hotels have conceierge rooms and resorts have areas restricted to those that are willing to pay for it. The reality is, if you're willing to spend the money, you get more. Not everyone who stays in suites is in a higher socioecomic group, nor are all people who cruise on the cheap in lower economic groups.

You are born into a class system. You achieve in the free world. Both can live like a king.

Pretty soon, we will all be in a class system....

Great post BND.

JC

It has nothing to do with "class", it has everything to do with $$$$.

We fly first class, another couple flies coach, we get some things they don't. But it has nothing to do with "class' it is because we paid for first class seats.

On a ship we have booked suites on some and balcony cabins on others. With the suites we got some extra things that we don't in our balcony cabins. Again, it has nothing to do with "class", and everything to do with $$$$.

We either choose to pay for the extra square feet that also has extra amenities, or we pay less, don't get the amenities and don't miss them at all.

More importantly we don't think we are in "steerage".

The ships are so big, how in the world could that relatively small area that the suite guest can go and us "Diamonds" can't, make a difference? It's just silly.

Every time this comes up I am amazed. It's like a little kid who thinks their brother or sister got a bigger piece of cake.

Well, in years past, the suites simply got larger spaces....but everyone got to use the public spaces equally...not today, tho! Not saying it's right or wrong...but it's not how it was 20 years ago! EVERYONE was treated like royalty!

I agree to some extent. I started in 2006,more recently than many, but even then suite perks were the suite itself and a special lounge, but once out of your room everyone was the same. No special area by the pool or dining room just for suites.

When my husband was alive, we would occasionally treat ourselves to the "suite life" and we did enjoy these special occasions.

I will probably put this badly, but to me, there is a big difference between the old "class" system of cruising and the present one and that is the quality of the base product. Those in suites might have a special section around the pool, but it is the same pool. You might get free drinks, but they are the same drinks.

The waiters in the dining room still strive to learn your names and preferences whether you are in a suite or an inside cabin. I feel special after every cruise no matter where my cabin is. That's huge.

P.S. Hi, Bill!!!

When my husband was alive, we would occasionally treat ourselves to the "suite life" and we did enjoy these special occasions.

I will probably put this badly, but to me, there is a big difference between the old "class" system of cruising and the present one and that is the quality of the base product. Those in suites might have a special section around the pool, but it is the same pool. You might get free drinks, but they are the same drinks.

The waiters in the dining room still strive to learn your names and preferences whether you are in a suite or an inside cabin. I feel special after every cruise no matter where my cabin is. That's huge.

P.S. Hi, Bill!!!

At least the special area by the pool isn't the seats I want anyway. Hi Back Vicki!

Edited by BillOh

Nor is the section of seats in the theater where I want to sit either.

Actually I did get front row center reserved seats in the theater for the farewell show once. At the Welcome aboard show they solicited passengers to be part of the dance act. Gina volunteered and I got the reserve seat to see it. That was Majesty 2010.

Money is the great equalizer. There is no "class" system on cruise ships, only perks available to those who spend more money. Anyone can get these perks - you just have to be willing to pay for a suite. To me, paying an extra $2K isn't worth the so-called "free" drinks and appetizers I am privy to in a Suite Lounge. But to each his own...

I think it's totally fair for extra perks to be included for people who spend more $$$. I've seen lots of people doing B2B2B2B cruise in inside cabins while suites sometimes sit empty. It's fair for them to try to figure out ways to fill out the rooms and, if people pay more they should get more.

It does get annoying when they take away some of the common areas, but there are lots of other common areas and if providing more suites guests can help keep the prices down for the rest of us normal folk then it seems like a win win.

Well, and it's their ship so they can pretty much do what they want anyway.

Tom

I think it's totally fair for extra perks to be included for people who spend more $$$.

I'll draw the line depending on the perk. Not that my line is worth anything. Bigger/more discounts sure. The perks I don't like are a priority line at guest services and priority tendering. There I think everyone on should be on the same footing.

What C&A perks have been devalued to expand suite perks? How do you know this?

I think it's totally fair for extra perks to be included for people who spend more $$$. I've seen lots of people doing B2B2B2B cruise in inside cabins while suites sometimes sit empty. It's fair for them to try to figure out ways to fill out the rooms and, if people pay more they should get more.

It does get annoying when they take away some of the common areas, but there are lots of other common areas and if providing more suites guests can help keep the prices down for the rest of us normal folk then it seems like a win win.

Well, and it's their ship so they can pretty much do what they want anyway.

Tom

I wouldn't characterize suite guests as abnormal. :) I'd rather sail in a nicer cabin than get a new car every couple years or eat out all the time. We all prioritize our spending differently.

I also don't see that RCI has cut back on C&A perks in favor of the suites. They have enhanced the Pinnacle Club benefits to distinguish the level a little better, but D+ haven't seen any erosion as a result. I think they probably will in the future, but I would attribute that to the sheer numbers of people moving up the ranks rather than taking from C&A to give to suites. After all, suite prices have gone up a lot in the past few years, so I think that some of the benefits are simply buried in the higher fares.

And when people talk about losing access to the CL as an erosion of C&A benefits, remember that it started out as a suites only venue, so may only be returning to what it once was.

What I've seen go away are abundant complimentary upgrades based on C&A rank (as opposed to upsells or the mysterious "Revenue Department" upgrades), invitations to dinner with a senior officer in the MDR (that varies by ship and Captain) and the C&A gifts in the cabin. But I blame CC for that last item - people who didn't like them complained vociferously on CC, so RCI took them away from all of us. I still miss the snack box.

Steerage has the best parties, though, right? :D That's what the movie would lead me to believe... ;)

And they break into great spontaneous dance sequences too!! Heck if Leonardo was in steerage on my Oasis cruise I would give up my balcony in a heartbeat:D:D