Class is back

skandls

And they break into great spontaneous dance sequences too!! Heck if Leonardo was in steerage on my Oasis cruise I would give up my balcony in a heartbeat:D:D

As long as you don't look like Lady Gaga. Did you see the look her gave her at the Golden Globes?

Some lines have expanded their 'suite life' experience to what amounts to a "ship-within-a-ship"....

Examples include NCL's "Haven", and MSC's "Yacht Club"....

Those fortunate enough to be able to afford that, get the best of all worlds...

in that, I mean they get the level of service and quality of food in the private dining room that is akin to what they would get on one of those expensive, all-inclusive smaller ships. At the same time, they get to utilize the entertainment and other facilities that only the mass-market mega ships can offer.

It's all kind of a throwback to the 'class system' (first, second, and third or sometimes called cabin or tourist instead of second or third), that the ocean liners on voyages segregated the ships into. Companies like Cunard never really got away from it entirely, although passengers do have the 'run of the ship', more or less...not like it used to be.

But that was on liner voyages. Even Cunard when using a liner for a cruise back then, converted the entire ship into one class....

It's all relative anyway.

To no one in particular: Would you think a person is lower class because they have an inside cabin? Would it make any difference if they said their airfare was as much as the cruise itself? There are so many circumstances to take into account that you can't just assume someone is well off by the cabin they pick.

I'll elaborate with a personal example:

For the price it costs me for an inside balcony on the Harmony ship in December of this year, including airfare, I could pretty much get a Royal Suite cabin on a sailing from Southampton at any time of the year they sail from there.

I choose the inside on Harmony because I prefer Oasis class ships but that's not to say I'm a lower class passenger because of it, I just want to be on Harmony more than i want to be on Indy.

I was in a Grand Suite once and the perks that I go from the room is not something that I really need in a cruise. Not even the benefits of double points. They make you think that perks are important but if you do the math you are basically paying for it but in your heart you feel like earning a reward. And don't even go with the perks of Crown and Anchor they are a joke.

If I pay money for a suite I am wanting to enjoy some perks for the cruise. When I don't book a suite I don't begrudge others for having the perks. Kinda like whether you purchase steak or hamburgers. Both good but different experience.

I am having steak on my cruise this time.:D

I'll draw the line depending on the perk. Not that my line is worth anything. Bigger/more discounts sure. The perks I don't like are a priority line at guest services and priority tendering. There I think everyone on should be on the same footing.

Why? Airlines and hotels have express lines for their "elite" passengers and guests. First class always gets off the plane before coach passengers like me.

Why? Airlines and hotels have express lines for their "elite" passengers and guests. First class always gets off the plane before coach passengers like me.

Generally true, but not on a 757. First Class may board first, but Coach gets to leave at same time due to the exit behind First Class. ;)

As long as you don't look like Lady Gaga. Did you see the look her gave her at the Golden Globes?

ROFLMAO!! Oh yeah, he looked like - well it wouldn't be polite to say.:eek:

I wanted to do the suite upgrade we were offered but my guy thought "why?" I am the go for it, he is the pragmatist when money is involved, so guess we are in balcony steerage LOL!!

We totally enjoy cruising solely for seeing new places and meeting new friends as well as the relaxation it gives us. One books their category rooms for a number of reasons from an inside to a Royal Suite. We don't see classes in cruising, only a couple thousand + people wanting to enjoy cruising as we do.

Generally true, but not on a 757. First Class may board first, but Coach gets to leave at same time due to the exit behind First Class. ;)

Maybe sometimes...on a 757, there are exits forward of FC also...it depends which ones they use....;)

I usually (not always) book whatever I got a good deal on. I'm relatively easy to please so as long as I get what I paid for I'm happy. Got to say though that it amazes me when I run into the "I'm actually poor in real life but right now I'm on vacation and therefore on a mission to go broke" folks.

A suite or special enclave cabin? I will never be in one and it is not about the cost.To me it is location, location, location.

Have you ever notice that the suites or special areas (ie., like the Haven on NCL, Yacht Club on MSC, etc) are located on the very top decks and either forward or aft? And that a premium is paid for those so-called "desirable" locations?

Not the location I want to be on any ship because of the ship's motion (stabilizers can only do so much for the roll of the ship, not the pitching).

To me, it makes perfect sense that the cruise line will try to make these areas enticing and offer special perks to get people to book them.

So I will very happily book a cabin that is as low down and in the middle of the ship as possible and enjoy all that the ships has to offer for entertainment and food while many are in their expansiveness cabins feeling ill at the slightness hint of motion (and yes, I admit, I will be snickering at the passengers who paid so much to be so miserable).

A suite or special enclave cabin? I will never be in one and it is not about the cost.To me it is location, location, location.

Have you ever notice that the suites or special areas (ie., like the Haven on NCL, Yacht Club on MSC, etc) are located on the very top decks and either forward or aft? And that a premium is paid for those so-called "desirable" locations?

Not the location I want to be on any ship because of the ship's motion (stabilizers can only do so much for the roll of the ship, not the pitching).

To me, it makes perfect sense that the cruise line will try to make these areas enticing and offer special perks to get people to book them.

So I will very happily book a cabin that is as low down and in the middle of the ship as possible and enjoy all that the ships has to offer for entertainment and food while many are in their expansiveness cabins feeling ill at the slightness hint of motion (and yes, I admit, I will be snickering at the passengers who paid so much to be so miserable).

Carnival used to put their suites low and in the middle. Of course that was 20 years ago. ;)

Have one of the new Deck 12 balconies on Freedom this August. Can't wait. :D

...while many are in their expansiveness cabins feeling ill at the slightness hint of motion (and yes, I admit, I will be snickering at the passengers who paid so much to be so miserable).

And you know this...how? How many would you guess are in their expansive cabins feeling ill?

I am saying this from experience. In my 40+ years of cruising, I have been on cruises with their fair share of motion.

Many times it is obvious from the number of people showing up for meals or the entertainment and the comments from fellow passengers about someone in their cabin feeling ill from the motion (motion that some of us didn't even notice).

So, tlatrice, come back and ask your snarky question when you have a great deal cruise experience.

I am saying this from experience. In my 40+ years of cruising, I have been on cruises with their fair share of motion.

Many times it is obvious from the number of people showing up for meals or the entertainment and the comments from fellow passengers about someone in their cabin feeling ill from the motion (motion that some of us didn't even notice).

So, tlatrice, come back and ask your snarky question when you have a great deal cruise experience.

We sailed though 30' swells and were in our cabin on Allure deck 17, and slept in our bed on 18th deck. We weren't sick at all and had taken no meds. I might point out that the cabin was expansive, which really has nothing to do with seasickness, but was mentioned earlier by you in this thread.

Maybe everyone else is soft? Could it be they don't have sea legs and a stomach that tough? Perhaps they just do not have your 40 years of cruise experience toughening them up. Maybe, just maybe, seasickness is related to the individual not where their cabin happens to be positioned on the ship.:) I might also add that I won't laugh at anyone feeling uncomfortable from seasickness, like you said you would, no matter where their cabin is. That just isn't nice.

It has nothing to do with "class", it has everything to do with $$$$.

We fly first class, another couple flies coach, we get some things they don't. But it has nothing to do with "class' it is because we paid for first class seats.

On a ship we have booked suites on some and balcony cabins on others. With the suites we got some extra things that we don't in our balcony cabins. Again, it has nothing to do with "class", and everything to do with $$$$.

We either choose to pay for the extra square feet that also has extra amenities, or we pay less, don't get the amenities and don't miss them at all.

More importantly we don't think we are in "steerage".

The ships are so big, how in the world could that relatively small area that the suite guest can go and us "Diamonds" can't, make a difference? It's just silly.

Every time this comes up I am amazed. It's like a little kid who thinks their brother or sister got a bigger piece of cake.

I agree. For many, there is very little "class" left these days. First Class on an airplane is packed with people wearing sweat pants, shorts and flip flops. I long for the days when we would dress up and be served a nice meal by a sexy stewardess. However, I do not miss the smoking section! I really wish they would double the price of a First Class ticket and bring back good service. Until such time, I will continue to fly our private jet.

The main dining room on a cruise ship has suffered the same loss of class. It's more of a Chucky Cheese than a fine restaurant. It's sad to watch the decline of society. We live in a Walmart world where everything is cheap and children and young adults are feral.