RCI 30% off sale - not seeing the discount?

moopetguy

Comparing a price NOW (regardless of the "sale pricing") with a price that you got six months, a year, two years ago, is sort of irrelevant, if you know what I mean.

The legitimate comparison is 'what would I have paid for this cruise yesterday' vs 'what would I pay for it today'.

Of course, each of us cares about what WE are paying, but don't scream because you got a great price before that you can't beat today with the new "promotion".

With that in mind, there is a cruise that I have been looking at for the past couple of days.

Today it would be about $50 less.

MM, you nailed it.

I do the cruise and AI bookings and price trackings. My DW does the FB following of RC and specific Sandals locations. She told me something the other day that a long time Sandals FBer said. "There is always a sale at Sandals. However, when you track the pricing from sale to sale, and you know the normal price of a specific room, the price usually varies by no more than $50. The only thing that might change is the amount of airfare credit".

It makes me think that RC is taking a page from the Sandals advertising. There is "always" a sale;);) but the only ones that really know the value are the regualrs. The one thing about cruises is, booking well in advance is almost always cheaper than booking later.

But since this sale is 30% off vs the BOGOHO - doesn't this mean we can use our Visa reward points for free cruise or free companion fare without them re-adjusting price?

They will still calculate your reward value on the full fare prior to taking the 30% off.

In January I booked a seven day Greece/Turkey for this July. At the time of booking I received an on-board cabin credit of $ 100, plus two select beverage packages thrown in as well.

Yesterday I phoned to check the price knowing that it was the last day of the BOGO sale. The cabin cost dropped by about $160 and I was able to reprice, and keep the OBC and beverage packages. The agent did tell me to check today because the new sale was starting and the prices would be reduced. I repriced anyway.

Today the cabin price increased by $210, and no OBC, and no beverage package.

Correct. We have two interior connecting staterooms and no discounts at all. I also have DH booked in one room and myself in the other room to make sure we can use the stockholder's benefits in both rooms.

Have you done this before? If not, you know that the stock would have to be in both your names for this to work?

Are you using NO other RC benefit? No balcony discount, no residency rate, no military discount, no senior discount, no Next Cruise certificate?

If NO, then YES, you can get your stockholder's benefit.

:)

At first I thought I might consider buying the minimum 100 shares, because the conditions you mentioned generally don't apply to me (I've only booked a balcony once, I don't always get a resident discount, I have no military/police/etc. background, I'm far from being a senior ;), etc.).

But this other CC thread suggests it's far more restrictive based on what others have reported plus the offer details linked therein:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2316602

"Benefit is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, 'dollars off' promotions, savings certificates, onboard chartered sailings, certain group sailings or bookings made at a reduced rate or travel agent rate. Shareholders have the option to choose between the shareholder benefit or the other offer."

Basically, the fine print makes it sound as though you won't get the stockholder's OBC benefit unless you paid the full-fare/regular rate, with no discount or sale having been applied and zero OBC from RCI.

It seems to me that there's always going to be some BOGO offer, or the current 30% sale, that would qualify as that "reduced rate" to deny the shareholder OBC. Although you could choose the OBC over the other offer, I don't think that would make sense most of the time because the savings would generally be more than the shareholder OBC offer.

Am I interpreting this information correctly? :confused:

We got a GTY ocean balcony for our Harmony cruise for 29 May under BOGO with $200 OBC. Repriced today under the 30% Sale and saved $520 w/o OBC. Still a net of $300 for us.

Interesting that some fares for this cruise first increased, then went down yesterday but not by 30%.

We had a D8 Cyber Monday Special with $400 obc. Also Repriced yesterday with 30% sale to save nearly $1000 w/o obc. As others have noted if you have a C & A discount this is also discounted 30%. Still net gain of $600 for us.

I am booked 12/11/16 of the LOS in a P2 cabin. Since its sold out, I cant get the lower pricing unless I give up my cabin and "hope" its available immediately after. Sucks big time. I dont want to go down to a G category, and I am not comfortable in a balcony with my kids. Not sure what to do.

I am booked 12/11/16 of the LOS in a P2 cabin. Since its sold out, I cant get the lower pricing unless I give up my cabin and "hope" its available immediately after. Sucks big time. I dont want to go down to a G category, and I am not comfortable in a balcony with my kids. Not sure what to do.

You can wait a bit and see if your category opens up. I have seen it happen often where a category shows as completely booked and then cabins show up.

You can wait a bit and see if your category opens up. I have seen it happen often where a category shows as completely booked and then cabins show up.

I checked a travel agency's site right now and saw one P2 available.

Staterooms may open up at any time, especially early in this promo when people might switch rooms or sailings.

Hopefully the P2s will be finished and ready by December ;)

My son got an upgrade from an inside cabin on Allure to balcony guarantee for the same price. Lost about $119 OBC from rccl but the price of the guarantee balcony was $118 cheaper.

The other cabins have only gone up from booking it last year during the 30% off sale.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but the two cruises we have booked on Oasis in March 2017 both went up 33% at midnight last night. What are the chances of THAT?

Exactly. When they say they are offering 30% off it's because they jacked it up 31% the day before...... they just move the numbers around. :mad:

Just saved a total of $898.00 for our ATS on Allure in Feb. 2017.

I have been checking rates daily since my booking and the suite base prices have never fluctuated. The ATS sold out the day before the 30% off sale started, so I was unable to do a mock booking myself. I called C&A this am and she nicely price checked for me, and the base rates were exactly the same as before, so 30% off all guest worked in our favor. I am very HAPPY today, glad I made the call.

Unfortunately we lost the $300 OBC, but I would rather have the money saved upfront. (net savings $898 - minus $300 OBC = $598 )

Edited by nik23