Tipping?

StayCool

As my cruise gets closer I am trying to think of fun things to do. If I gave out $2 bills for tips, would that be weird? I want the crew to be able to spend them if they wish but it is also something that you do not see often. Thoughts?

As my cruise gets closer I am trying to think of fun things to do. If I gave out $2 bills for tips, would that be weird? I want the crew to be able to spend them if they wish but it is also something that you do not see often. Thoughts?

I think anything you give would be welcomed by the crew. However, I'd want it to be as easy as possible for the crew to spend, and there may be places the ship visits where the $2 bill is very unusual.

When they were introduced, I was in the banking business and they were quite a flop. Some people enjoy the novelty of seeing one, but others who don't remember them (perhaps particularly in the islands?) may question them. My husband used to use them for tips but I asked him to stop, afraid they'd be a pain in the neck for the crew.

We bring a stack of $1 bills. Makes us feel like we have more money.

Sometimes, we only want to tip a dollar. Like when we're getting a free coke. A dollar is like a 20% tip for a coke. Also, if they're automatically adding tip, I think a dollar is more appropriate.

We tried writing in an additional tip to the bill, and learned they split that written tip several ways.

I think the people on the ship would recognize a $2 bill for what it is. I'd think their guest relations would be able to swap it out for something their country would take.

From the individual's point of view, those Susan B Anthony dollar coins were a huge flop, because they looked too much like quarters. Still have a whole roll of them in the safe deposit box.

Edited by knittinggirl

Would definitely not use $2 bills. They can be hard to use and questioned in this country. I think in the Caribbean, for example, they might be refused. Tried to use one here and clerk had never seen or heard of them - thought it was "play money."

That's why I don't tip in Canadian currency. Even when it was worth $1.10 U.S.:D

My question is WHY? I might give my grand kid a $2.00 bill for fun, but I don't know very many adults that would find it cool to get. I would bet that many people in the US would see one, and question it. Just give the the normal circulated money that is recognizable as real, and be done with it. :D

Just because I could. And like I said, it is a conversation starter. I'm a bit on the shy side although I try not to be. I came here and asked because I didn't want to inconvenience anyone. Oh well.

You're correct. You don't need to justify what you do or don't do to anyone on CC. But you also can't be thin skinned when you post on CC either. You'll find a lot of knowledgeable Cruisers on CC with a vast wealth of Cruising experience that are willing to share it with you. Just ignore those with a bark that is worse than their bite. Enjoy your upcoming Cruise.

Edited by davekathy

If I worked on a ship and had my choice of the following three tips, I rank them (starting with most desired):

two US$1

US$2

one US$1

As long as the crew bank on-board takes them, I'd definitely prefer $2 to $1. But no doubt they would cause a little (unnecessary) confusion.

You're correct. You don't need to justify what you do or don't do to anyone on CC. But you also can't be thin skinned when you post on CC either. You'll find a lot of knowledgeable Cruisers on CC with a vast wealth of Cruising experience that are willing to share it with you. Just ignore those with a bark that is worse than their bite. Enjoy your upcoming Cruise.

Oh I'm not thin skinned. :) I was just busy at work and a little disappointed that my idea was a flop. Lol. Either way, the crew will get their tips and I will have a fabulous time! Thanks for the well wishes.

I work in retail management and have had my employees ask me if it is okay to take $2 bills and Susan B. Anthony dollars. My reply every time; "It's money!" Too many people aren't familiar enough with these. So I'd have to agree with the majority and say it may cause more confusion and frustration than it's worth.

There's a company in the telephony industry that gives out new $2 bills in clear plastic sleeves with a little card insert explaining that the denomination is uncommon, but real and legal tender. This is the "swag" they give out to attendees whenever they are an exhibitor at trade shows/conferences. It's pretty funny when some people at the shows remain adamant that $2 bills are fake.

Even Snopes doesn't know if this is true or not (they call it "Legend"), but it's a funny story regardless including a $2 bill.

http://www.snopes.com/business/money/tacobell.asp

Tom

You know what's odd about that story. Taco bell ran a promotion a few years back with a $2 meal and they tried to get the government to print more of them.

Best post I have seen here in a long while.

Just because I could. And like I said, it is a conversation starter. I'm a bit on the shy side although I try not to be. I came here and asked because I didn't want to inconvenience anyone. Oh well.
I get it, but would stick with dollar bills, easier for the crew to unload....:)

Oh I'm not thin skinned. :) I was just busy at work and a little disappointed that my idea was a flop. Lol. Either way, the crew will get their tips and I will have a fabulous time! Thanks for the well wishes.

You meant well! I think everyone was just trying to be helpful. Incidentally, I had the same idea for a treat for my grandkids - couldn't find them - my bank offered to order, but they didn't have any!