Don Horner

Jancruz

Adam, I can definitely tell that you are a "Horner" because of your thoughtfulness to post on CC your experience and feelings to share with all of us.

God bless you and all the family. Yes, you are correct, Oceania is outstanding in being there for you.

Please let us know that Betsy has arrived home safely and is in the comfort of her family.

We too have relied on Don's reasoned responses many times on CC and had the privilege of spending time with him and Betsy on a cruise in Alaska some years ago.

What beautiful memories the Horners made together....memories that will bring smiles when the tears of this tragedy are not so fresh.

Sending condolences. Margie and Art Newman

Sincere sympathies to the Horner family on the loss of the person I forever will consider to be the rational sage of the Oceania CC forum. Gerry and I were fortunate to meet Don and Betsy for dinner in Cincinnati after Don mentioned in one of his Oceania posts a few years ago that he and Betsy would be embarking on an riverboat cruise from our hometown. He was as warm, frank, unpretentious and friendly in person as he came across in his hundreds of helpful posts on this board.

Sitting in our hotel in Miami waiting for our flight home tomorrow after disembarking from the infamous early-terminated Riviera norovirus cruise just 24 hours ago, I mourn for Don but am comforted that he died doing what he so anticipated and loved. As is said in my tradition: "May his memory always be for a blessing."

What sad news. Don made so many friends during his and Betsy's travels simply by being Don, and he touched so many here on CC who never had the pleasure of meeting him in person.

Betsy, may all the kind words and thoughts from your and Don's cruise family support you now and give you comfort during this difficult time. Our prayers are with you and your family.

Tarmo & Kay Sutt

We too have never met Don but feel as though we know him from his many posts on this Board and also from the wonderful Blog he was sending to those who were interested in the RTW cruise.

Our friends who are on the RTW cruise know him well and have mentioned often what a good friend Don has been to them. Our sincere sympathy goes out to Betsy and all the Horner family. We hope he didn't suffer at all and died peacefully, living his dream.

Jennie

Adam,

Just a brief note to tell you how much everyone on board the RTW cruise loved being with your folks.

Don always said, "people who read about me on cruise critic want to meet me....then they meet Betsy and I'm left standing on the outside of the circle!"

Please know that your folks were having a wonderful time. They were eating meals with a wide circle of friends, seeing the sights, your Mom was painting and quilting and needle-pointing, and your Dad was taking pictures, and blogging and just being....well....Don.

We miss them both so much and wish they were here. There are a whole bunch of people on board that would love to help Betsy and you and Amy in any way we can.

Hi Everyone,

I'm very saddened to hear of Don Horner's passing. While I've never had the pleasure of meeting Don or Betsy, I've always enjoyed reading Don's insights, and learning so much about his incredible passion for Cruising, and for Oceania. While death is never welcome, it's bittersweet that Don passed doing something he loved so much. We will dearly miss his presence on this forum.

Thank you to Don's son, Adam, for keeping us updated. We know this is an extremely difficult time for you, your dear Mom & the Horner family. We're all thinking of you.

From my family to the Horner family, our sincere condolonces. You are in our prayers. May Don rest in peace, and eternally sail on the most beautiful cruise ship, up in heaven.

• Administrators

From the entire Cruise Critic family -- our condolences and deepest sympathies to his family and all his friends -- both in the "real" worth and his virtual friends here on Cruise Critic.

A member for 10 years, over 5700 contributions to the community, he will be missed.

Godspeed and RIP

Laura

• Administrators
Fair Winds and Following Seas

Fair winds and following seas,

may forever you feel, upon your cheek, the salty breeze.

Your spirit lives on in many a heart,

your words captured,and never to depart.

May your loved ones have the comfort in knowing,

to heaven is where you are going.

For all that they have to do is look above,

and they will be reminded of your love.

This is just lovely; do you know the author or is it you?

Luara

Adam,

I am so very sorry for your loss. I, too, enjoyed your Dad's posts.

I lost my Dad just last year under very similar circumstances. He and my Mom were traveling in Europe, doing what they loved, when he suddenly and very unexpectedly passed away. It was very difficult waiting for my mom to make her way back to us and then waiting for my Dad's remains to come home. The travel insurance was a godsend, as was the US State Department and our US Senator's office.

It won't be easy getting through the next little while. Please know that your family is in my prayers.

I am so sad and sorry to hear the news about Don...

I am just a simple keen,traveller from a little village in Cambridge in England,who will be travelling with Oceania for the first time in August...I have never had the fortune to personally meet Don and Betsy but I have learnt more from Dons posts then any website.I am so looking forward to our trip and Don has assured me,through his words and photos,that we have probably chosen,at last,the best company to go with...I have made so many notes of importance to us, from cruise critic members,but mostly from Don.

As you sail away to rest in peace,I would like to say ,Thank you Don....RIP...

Edited by janecambridge

From the entire Cruise Critic family -- our condolences and deepest sympathies to his family and all his friends -- both in the "real" worth and his virtual friends here on Cruise Critic.

A member for 10 years, over 5700 contributions to the community, he will be missed.

Godspeed and RIP

Laura

Thank you, Laura. Cruise Critic became an important part of my dad's life and some of those "virtual friends" he met here became some of his good friends in the real world not only on cruises but on road travels as well. But, even those he never met in the "real" world he considered good friends. I know this because I heard story after story he would tell me (sometimes the same story more than once).

-Adam

I wanted to again thank everybody for their well wishes and stories about my dad and my mom. I am finding comfort in reading these posts. Thank you to "Almagetty" for sharing your parents story. The update is that my mom, Betsy, should be flying home tomorrow (Wednesday) and can be with her family soon. For those that have reached out to me, I appreciate it.

A special thank you to all those currently on board the Insignia that have posted here and have reached out to me. I want to sincerely thank you for the support you gave my mom.

I might not be able to respond to every post, but please know that I am reading them all and will continue to do so and will make sure to share with my sister, Amy, and my mom.

-Adam

Edited by ahorn23

So very saddened with the news. We were on Insignia when it had its fire and Don and I communicated about developments at that time as he and Betsy considered their options for the RTW.

Our condolences to Betsy and the whole Horner family. Thank you for coming on the Board and posting Adam.....a class act like your father.

Barry Thomson

Hi Everyone,

I'm very saddened to hear of Don Horner's passing. While I've never had the pleasure of meeting Don or Betsy, I've always enjoyed reading Don's insights, and learning so much about his incredible passion for Cruising, and for Oceania. While death is never welcome, it's bittersweet that Don passed doing something he loved so much. We will dearly miss his presence on this forum.

Thank you to Don's son, Adam, for keeping us updated. We know this is an extremely difficult time for you, your dear Mom & the Horner family. We're all thinking of you.

From my family to the Horner family, our sincere condolonces. You are in our prayers. May Don rest in peace, and eternally sail on the most beautiful cruise ship, up in heaven.

Very well said. Sorry for the loss. Will be missed.

quick update on Betsy Horner;

Trish is back on Insignia and Betsy flew from Dar to Abu Dhabi, then west.

Betsy is doing well, is strong, was doing needlework, went to church early every morning. It was what we would call "Lutheran" and it had a gospel choir. I know Betsy would love that.

She is due in Miami sometime late today or early tomorrow.

Trish says Betsy knows she is loved by all of the RTWers. We will all be gathering on board soon to talk about our beloved traveling companions.

Trish is amazing and if anyone from O is reading this....the woman is a treasure. Count yourselves lucky she works for you!!!