Anthem of the seas is headed back to Cape Liberty now due to a storm

lazeyey

I don't think so. All the winter cruises are sell outs. They have enough demand to keep the ships here. I don't see any cancellations happening on the 3 night, or my cruise on the 7th, even with everything that has happened.

Not this year, but it is possible in the future. They have to consider not only revenue but image. For instance, Houston has been nothing but a black eye for Princess so even with VERY generous concessions to use the port they are leaving. Constant refunds and customer ill-will has forced their hand. I would agree that this season in particular has been filled with frustrations.

Royal does not charge a state sales tax on a drink package purchase while in a US port. This has been confirmed many times.

That might have changed, but I was charged tax on a soda package on the Explorer years ago while still docked in NJ. I was later told that if I had waited until we were out at sea, they would not have charge a sales tax.

So, at one time they did charge tax. I've never done it again before leaving port, so don't know if they stopped charging tax now or not.

Gwen :)

It's no wonder we hear such a varying degree of accounts. On any given ship on any given sailing, pax can have completely different experiences. I'm happy for those who are still having fun and feel badly for those who are not having a good experience. It does seem fishy to me that pax must disembark 2 days early due to weather. I've heard of a number of weather related returns where pax had the option of staying onboard. Me thinks noro is in fact the reason for the early disembarkation. I'm not denying that the storm is a factor, just that the storm wouldn't prevent pax from staying onboard while docked. After all, Royal Caribbean would still be able to profit from drink sales and specialty restaurants while docked, yet they're choosing to shut down the ship. To those onboard, I hope you stay well!!

No matter what cruise you go on you will never satisfy all the people. There will always be that small minority that will always find something to complain about when most of the others have had a great time.

I have just talked to my sister who is also on board and she and others believe it is the NORO virus that is causing all passengers to disembark on Wed. Too much at stake for RC not to set sail on Friday for its next cruise.

It's smart PR by RC to refund all passengers 2 days + give them 50% off towards their next cruise.

They need to get their many crew members who have succumb to the virus healthy again and get the ship sanitized from top to bottom.

Edited by D&N LUV 2 TRAVEL

Lol, whatever. You'd do the same thing if your sheets weren't cleaned for 4 days. I can email whoever I want. I don't need YOUR permission. So thanks but no thanks.

Heaven forbid!! 4 whole days... Oh my gosh. I will have to tell my maid at home (aka gf) that it is unacceptable to use the bed if its been more than 3 days since the linens were washed! Never said you needed permission. Your defensiveness at least clearly represents how much you get the point. Not my fault no one believes you, even the crew on the ship.

i am not seeing any storm on any marine forecasts or on radar near cape Hatteras, not sure what they are seeing out there

NOAA is forecasting rain/snow to hit the east coast about Wednesday. They're not saying a storm right now, just rain/snow in the forecast.

I will be fascinated to watch this severe storm develop after looking at the current weather forecasts at the National Weather Service site:

For Bayonne:

Tuesday Night

Rain likely, mainly after 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a steady temperature around 44. East wind 7 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Wednesday

Rain likely before 9am, then showers likely, mainly between 9am and 3pm. Cloudy, with a high near 53. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Wednesday Night

A chance of showers before 7pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 28. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

For Cape Hatteras (land):

Monday Night

Mostly clear, with a low around 50. West wind 6 to 14 mph.

Tuesday

Mostly sunny, with a high near 65. Northwest wind 6 to 9 mph becoming southeast in the afternoon.

Tuesday Night

A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 53. Breezy, with a southwest wind 13 to 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Wednesday

A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 62. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

After going right through a hurricane, this does not sound to challenging. However, lets all see what develops at sea which could be quite different than on land.

In any case, it will likely be raining when you disembark.

Heaven forbid!! 4 whole days... Oh my gosh. I will have to tell my maid at home (aka gf) that it is unacceptable to use the bed if its been more than 3 days since the linens were washed! Never said you needed permission. Your defensiveness at least clearly represents how much you get the point. Not my fault no one believes you, even the crew on the ship.

Daaaaaaaaaaang dude....

snickers.jpg

My guess is passengers would all have to disembark upon return because they would have to clear customs - I dont believe customs are on site every day - only on days ships return. If someone knows differently???

We were on the shortened storm cruise Feb 6 and came back on a Wednesday night. They allowed people to disembark Weds night or Thurs morning, but regardless of your choice, you had to clear customs Weds night. They actually set up a customs queue in the Seaplex for those of us who decided to stay aboard until Thurs.

So customs would not be a deciding factor in this case.

Daaaaaaaaaaang dude....

snickers.jpg

You win the Internet for the rest of the day and probably Leap Day too!!

As for the bed linens thing, when we took our first weeklong cruise I was surprised to find out that the cruise lines don't change the linen daily or necessarily every other day either. I simply hadn't given it much thought prior to sailing. This perception on my part is due to land-based hotel experiences where you have the option for daily or every-three-days linen changes. It makes ecological and cost sense that a ship using its own water wouldn't routinely change sheets every day unless those sheets were getting soiled every day, but perhaps OP was coming from a land-based hotel hospitality point of reference regarding the linen change thing. Perhaps the comparison point of reference isn't home vs. ship, but rather land-based hotel vs. ocean-going hotel.

Edited by undercat

We were booked on the CTN as well, got a really great price, but also cancelled when we heard it was going nirth. Moved our deposit to a summer sailing. Happy we did with all this going on.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

We did the same thing. I couldn't see 3 days of rocking and rolling in the north Atlantic on the way to Halifax and back.

It would be uncomfortable sailing into this:

12zmar052016.gif

That's the current WW3 (Wave Watch III) forecast for 0700 EST Sat.

If 02/07/16 didn't happen they'd probably not shorten the current voyage.

Recall back on 16 April, 2005 when Norwegian Dawn had a run in with a storm and large waves that did damage causing her divert to Charleston for repairs. There were modifications to near future itineraries as well (Mother's Day) due to rough weather. Ship happens.

Hasn't RC been sailing from the NY/NJ area year round for quite some time now?

I realize that it hasn't been with the newest of ships, but it is my understanding that they have been cruising this route for quite some time now.

Is my understanding incorrect?

We were on the shortened storm cruise Feb 6 and came back on a Wednesday night. They allowed people to disembark Weds night or Thurs morning, but regardless of your choice, you had to clear customs Weds night. They actually set up a customs queue in the Seaplex for those of us who decided to stay aboard until Thurs.

So customs would not be a deciding factor in this case.

very interesting - so then my second guess is everyone must get off so they can sanitize the ship.

I don't think so. All the winter cruises are sell outs. They have enough demand to keep the ships here. I don't see any cancellations happening on the 3 night, or my cruise on the 7th, even with everything that has happened.

"All Sell Outs" - Says who?

Daaaaaaaaaaang dude....

snickers.jpg

lol... Obviously she isn't my maid haha. Just wanting to make my point :p

And also, I would love a snickers but I'm on a diet for the cruise in 38 days... boo to diet, yay for cruise!

Edited by Powersboyee2