Should HAL health questionnaire ask if one smokes?

OceanTraveller4ever

When we get the health questionnaire on pre-boarding, should there be an added question that inquires if the pax smokes cigs, cigars, or pipe.

I know that smoking is not the same as having a flu, or gastro problems, but it would give a very good tally on smokers on a ship.

I would usually post this on the smoking thread, but it is presently closed.

HAL would have a good way to accurately get info if they openly canvass the information.

The purpose of the health questionnaire is not to determine how many people smoke on each cruise. It is to possibly screen out people bringing contagious diseases on board.

You could wait until the smoking thread is unlocked. This will probably end up there.

Edited by CruiserBruce

The purpose of the health questionnaire is not to determine how many people smoke on each cruise. It is to possibly screen out people bringing contagious diseases on board.

It's a quite simple form. Just wants to know if you have been sick or around others who are sick.

When we get the health questionnaire on pre-boarding, should there be an added question that inquires if the pax smokes cigs, cigars, or pipe.

I know that smoking is not the same as having a flu, or gastro problems, but it would give a very good tally on smokers on a ship.

I would usually post this on the smoking thread, but it is presently closed.

HAL would have a good way to accurately get info if they openly canvass the information.

All lines should ask when you book.

Should it ask if they're overweight? Have any psychological disorders? Maybe free-form about disabilities??

Are is this just another troll from you, like the "vape" post?

Aww, c'mon now :) Something this important, insightful, earth-shaking, and possibly life-altering couldn't wait for the Smoking thread to re-open :D

No need to ask, the Cabin Steward already turns in a report if he is aware that the occupant of a cabin is a smoker, they already keep atally from that.

Exactly. This is nothing new and has been the case for many years but cabin stewards are instructed to list those who they know are smoking, have asked for an ashtray and it is for safety reasons.

I do not consider that the same as asking people, when they book a cruise, if they are smokers.

Is it? Both smoking and alcohol consumption can cause harm not only to those who indulge but also harm others. Profit center not withstanding.

But isn't the purpose of the health form to discover anyone who presently has a communicable disease? Neither alcohol or tobacco qualify.

But isn't the purpose of the health form to discover anyone who presently has a communicable disease? Neither alcohol or tobacco qualify.

Exactly. Which was why I asked if they should also ask about alcohol consumption if the OP wants to ask about tobacco use.

I cannot imagine why anyone would speculate about adding that question to a questionnaire that is intended to find out if passengers are suffering a contagious illness. Unless it was just to add another smoking thread. So my answer is definitely NO.