Plastic Luggage Tags??

We usually have to fly to the port of departure so only attach our tags when we get our bags off the carousel.

I print four of the coloured strips to one sheet of A4 paper, laminate it then attached some double sided tape, cut the four strips apart and pop them in my hand baggage ready for attaching to the cases before getting on the transfer to the ship.

Haven't lost a tag.....yet!

Amazon.ca (Canada) site has them as well - that's where I bought mine.

I have the plastic straps - use two per bag and also use them for the air travel to/from (hotel address on the outbound; home address on the return).

To the OP: I agree with others --- they are worth it. Have a great cruise.

Got a link for Amazon.ca to the tags? Because I've looked, and cannot find the same ones specifically with the braided steel cables and metal grommets as listed on Amazon.com.

Sadly, the ones on Amazon do not ship to Canada :mad:

What I've been doing to date is printing the paper tags at home, using clear packing tape to "laminate" the entire tag (once folded, of course), and then using 6 staples to secure them around a bag handle. It's been fine so far but I would eventually like to get a set like the one on Amazon.

Maybe I'll use a U.S. mailbox service such as Kinek or Shipito.

Amazon is really trying to push Prime memberships, as they recently increased the free shipping threshold to $49 for general goods.

Another suggestion (similar to yours) is use clear contact paper and staple the ends together around the luggage handles. That can be done just before you get to the dock. I used that method for a long time until we ordered the luggage tag holders.

I've found a competing product:

http://www.shacke.com/8x-slim-cruise-luggage-tag-holder-w-zip-top-seal-stainless-steel-loops/

These have a zip-top closure. Do the Raqpak tags (from Amazon.com) have this feature? The product description doesn't mention this and it doesn't appear so from the pictures.

I am actually not a huge fan of the "unique design" with the ship on the Raqpak tags. From the pictures it actually seems to slightly obscure the printed tag from certain viewing/lighting angles. IMO, they should just keep it simple :)

The Shacke web site will ship internationally and the estimate for my address seems like a fair price.

I purchaced luggage tags from Cruise Critic. I believe they were less thank $10. Prior to that, I put clear packing tape over the luggage tag to protect the paper. Has worked well on a few cruises.

The first set we bought a few years ago with the plastic loops, I switched the loops out for the Zip Lock ties, as I felt they were more secure in holding. The ones I recently purchased for our Oct cruise came with the wire loops, but as I said early we had one of them get caught on something in the cab and got dislodged from husbands suitcase. For our future cruises, I will go back to the Zip Lock Ties.

Agreed. Bought a set for ourselves that we have used multiple times as well as passed a few to my DD when she sailed. They aren't that much to start with and with using them many times it is so much easier than going through the hassles of tape, staples, etc. each and every time.

I purchased two packages of these and absolutely loved them.....they worked perfectly! I didn't want to stretch out the luggage tags by having paper that was folded too thick in there. So, I cut out each printed tag separately right around the edges. I then folded the tag in half, and then folded the very bottom just a little bit so it fit perfectly in the holder. I would definitely recommend these for travel!

I've had the paper tags rip off. Also, the plastic tags will hold departure tags.

We use these:

http://www.amazon.com/Cruise-Luggage-Holders-Caribbean-Celebrity/dp/B00M5MDAS0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1456978899&sr=8-2&keywords=cruise+luggage+tags+royal+caribbean

Steel loops and grommets. Have been very sturdy over 20+ cruises.

We ordered these for our cruise since the last cruise we received them through the mail. I can see them falling off even with using packing tape and staples the way they are handled.

Fold the paper tags as per the instructions then cover with 2" clear tape, wrapping it around for strength. Staple to cases.

luggagetags.jpg

clear-parcel-tape.jpg81Il%2B2ESojL._SX522_.jpg

Impossible to tear.... survives baggage handling... cheap... Result!

I usually fold as instructed, wrap around handle, then put packing tape around to secure (basically just following the printed instructions). It has worked fine, but I've also used plastic holders, just because the travel agent we booked through gave some to us for a past cruise. If I hadn't gotten them for free, I probably wouldn't have bothered buying them, but they work fine, as well.

Edited by Paul65

Clarea ,can you explain why we would need departure tags? I never had to experience them,is this something new for disembarkment?

If you have always taken off your own bags, then you have not needed departure tags.

However, most people have the ship's crew take their bags off the ship and stage them in the terminal building. This way you don't have to deal with luggage until you are off the ship. When you do this, your will attach a numbered departure tag to your bags, and this number will help you locate your bags in the terminal area.

No 15 or 10$ plastic bags for me but I just don't use simple paper luggage. I mean I print them in paper but I wrap them in tape. Never had a problem in fact a porter told me once" wow that's really a luggage tag", he even tried to pull it to see if it was going to come out.

I don't have time to read all the postings, but in my over 16 cruises, I have always used Scotch tape and staple, and they have always stayed on there.

I always put them on the handle where they will NOT be picked up by that handle.

If you have always taken off your own bags, then you have not needed departure tags.

However, most people have the ship's crew take their bags off the ship and stage them in the terminal building. This way you don't have to deal with luggage until you are off the ship. When you do this, your will attach a numbered departure tag to your bags, and this number will help you locate your bags in the terminal area.

Its all coming back to me! We are always worried about getting on the ship and never worry about getting off the ship....If you know what I mean. Thanks for the info.

I was dubious about the self-printed paper tags from the start. Even the adhesive ones from RC (we got them from our tour director) didn't survive handling on my bag. It eventually showed up at our room about an our after the others. Again at departure, the adhesive tag was missing from my bag when I picked it up in the terminal. So for me, ordering the plastic ones from Amazon was a no brainer.

Remember to use them for the departure tags too. I find if I fold the departure tags in half, then fold over about an inch more at the top, they fit perfectly.

Great suggestion. I hadn't ever thought of using them for the departure tags. Then again, I usually put two or three of those on each bag, just in case :D

I bought two sets of the plastic tags with the metal loops, one for Royal Caribbean sized tags, and one for Princess sized tags.

Got a link for Amazon.ca to the tags? Because I've looked, and cannot find the same ones specifically with the braided steel cables and metal grommets as listed on Amazon.com.

Hi -- sorry, you are correct, they only have the plastic straps.