Land sickness

lindabodrum

Just disembarked yesterday and didn't have much trouble with sea sickness . But now I'm on land feel like I'm drunk. Have many of you had this and how long does it last, any cures

You might consider asking a medical professional this question.:)

How long was your cruise? Did you fly home after the cruise?

I suffer from it. I read that it may be one of the side affects of sea sickness meds. I use the patch so that may be it.

Funny thing on our last cruise our flight home didn't leave until 8:00 pm that night. We rented a car and explored Fort Lauderdale and I didn't experience any land sickness whatsoever. It was there the next morning though after we had flown home. I had it for about 3-4 days.

After being on a 2 week cruise......I am always a little off. Feel like I am swaying on land. My body or balancing is back to normal in about 3 days.

I used no seasick meds what so ever. Not even ginger.

Edited by lahlah57
Addition of info

Just disembarked yesterday and didn't have much trouble with sea sickness . But now I'm on land feel like I'm drunk. Have many of you had this and how long does it last, any cures

Use the same meds on land that you would use to prevent sea sickness.

After my last 7 day cruise the land sickness lasted 4-48 hours. I dose of Bonnie did the trick. Many years ago a 7 day cruise on a smaller ship led to a bout of vertigo that lasted a week or two. It's a small price to pay for a great cruise.

Vicki

As a few others have said, it is a pretty common ailment. You could try taking Bonine (1 per day) for a few days or simply wait it out and hope it passes in a few days. If not, pay a visit to your physician.

Hank

I had it after my first cruise last fall. Lasted a week. Was worst in small spaces like the bathroom.

Mine was not a side effect of sea sickness medication as I never took any. I didn't experience any sea sickness.

But the land sickness, ugh. Guess it just means I'm meant to be out at sea. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I call that land swells. Seems to hit me most in the shower for some reason.

LOL!!! It seems to hit me the most in the shower too. But I do feel the "motion of the ocean" on dry land for several days after a cruise. It only makes me miss the cruise that much more.

Lindabodrum, it is nothing to worry about. We've been on seven cruises now and my DH and I have both experienced it after each one, even our most recent this past September when we experienced the calmest seas ever while on a cruise. We've had it last for up to a week. Neither of us have ever felt sick, just the feeling of the motion of being on a ship.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

My first cruise it took 2 weeks and each cruise after it has taken fewer days even though there might be several years in between cruises....last month I went from ship to plane to ferry and was reeling a couple of days and had to be careful getting in and out of the pool...this reaction can happen to me even on a land trip as I am in the water for hours every day...assumed taking the motion meds would help but it didn't bother me enough to be that sleepy.....

While I am sure it can be caused from other sea-sick meds that isn't always the case.

My youngest DS suffers from this horrible. His first cruise he vomited for close to 24 hours afterwards. Not fun for a 3 yr old who was looking forward to spending the day in Orlando after our cruise! His 2nd cruise was pretty much just as bad. 2 cruises ago, then even closed the kids clubs because of rough seas and children getting sick because of it, he didn't understand why at all!

Oddly enough we found a good solution which alas won't work for everyone. We started driving to port because well.. spending $2000 on airfare for 4, when driving would cost less than $800 to any east coast port was just.. well silly IMO. Putting him in the car, and driving made him feel better. He was able to look out the window, and his brain reorientated himself while still moving but "seeing" the new way the world worked after 7 days at sea. 4 cruises driving and he hasn't had any issues since.

So if it really is bothersome, I would even suggest something like a small land tour after the cruise and before flights. Now each person is different though, but hey, I am not one to take meds that a doctor doesn't tell us to for a specific reason. It never hurts to try things!

Absolutely:( After I got off one Disney 7 days cruise I felt the same way. By the time the Mears bus got to our Disney hotel. I had to hold on to the check in desk to not fall over.

I got nauseous & really bad that the desk clerk found us a room 4 hours before we were supposed to check in. It lasted about 48 hours but got progressively better after 36 hours or so.

I had it for two weeks after one cruise, not at all on the others. After I learned what it was I embraced it as remembering the cruise. Only seemed to happen in enclosed places where I was facing a wall close to me. But when it happened I thought of the warm deck boards and the view from the ship and kind of missed it when it stopped happening.