Recent photos of empress of the seas in dry dock

As much as I may be curious about the cause of the problem.....I am much more curious right now about what Empress looks like on the inside of the ship.

I know it is only a few more weeks until cruisers can give us photos and tell us about the ship.

It will be interesting to hear from cruisers who sailed her years ago and when they go on her now.

monarch142........a poster who is so important he "knows everything" but can't say what he knows. So in effect, that makes him even more important in his own eyes. The important thing is that this "astronomical" issue is fixed and we can move forward and take our cruises on the Empress.

If you are not going to tell the whole story, why put the carrot out there in front of everyone?? What is your motivation??

monarch142........a poster who is so important he "knows everything" but can't say what he knows. So in effect, that makes him even more important in his own eyes. The important thing is that this "astronomical" issue is fixed and we can move forward and take our cruises on the Empress.

If you are not going to tell the whole story, why put the carrot out there in front of everyone?? What is your motivation??

My thoughts exactly.

Let see if I've got this straight . RC abruptly cancels multiple cruises at the last minute , offers no reasonable compensation and no explanation for ruining peoples hard earned vacations .

Then a poster on CC suggests they know why but don't want to endanger their spouses livelihood by spilling the beans that RC should have spilled . And they are condemned . Pathetic but expected from the usual apologists here .

Let see if I've got this straight . RC abruptly cancels multiple cruises at the last minute , offers no reasonable compensation and no explanation for ruining peoples hard earned vacations .

Then a poster on CC suggests they know why but don't want to endanger their spouses livelihood by spilling the beans that RC should have spilled . And they are condemned . Pathetic but expected from the usual apologists here .

I'm just wondering why everyone feels that they are entitled to an explanation as to why a business process didn't go according to plan. What other businesses to you expect to tell you everything about their business? If a store is delayed in opening, is an explanation demanded?

Regardless of how RCI handled the PR or customer service problems this delay created, there is no reason that a customer is entitled to a detailed explanation.

I'm just wondering why everyone feels that they are entitled to an explanation as to why a business process didn't go according to plan. What other businesses to you expect to tell you everything about their business? If a store is delayed in opening, is an explanation demanded?

Regardless of how RCI handled the PR or customer service problems this delay created, there is no reason that a customer is entitled to a detailed explanation.

From my perspective if it is of cosmetic nature or a venue not ready that's one thing, but if it was a safety deficiency the while thing has a bit of a smell of covet up. But that would be particularly odd as whenever there has been a deficiency, such as engine issues, a fire, etc., the company has been relatively forthcoming. That is why this whole I know buy can't say shtick is frustrating. If it's a relatively small problem they should say what it is. Even if it is a big problem PR can spin it as taking time to do more upgrades. The secretive nature is out of character and comes off as a company not fully in control of the situation. Dry docks have run long before on other ships but usually there is an explanation.

Why should people, some shareholders in a publicly traded company, NOT feel entitled to an explanation? Just a perspective to consider.

The more it SEEMS like a safety cover up the less trustworthy the company APPEARS. Right or wrong

I think if people hadn't lost out money on the deal they would not have cared so much. But when Royal burned them they wanted to know why and get the silent treatment. Does this sound like a company even the apologists could convince them to spend hard earned money and finite vacation time with again?

Why should people, some shareholders in a publicly traded company, NOT feel entitled to an explanation? Just a perspective to consider.

The more it SEEMS like a safety cover up the less trustworthy the company APPEARS. Right or wrong

If people are shareholders, then they are free to contact the board or the company's management and request an explanation, but again, the amount of shares represents the person's importance to the company.

I just don't see how this can be a "cover up". It would be a "cover up" if RCI sent the ship out without dealing with whatever the problem is. They are doing whatever they feel necessary to provide a safe and entertaining product, even at the cost to the bottom line.

If people are shareholders, then they are free to contact the board or the company's management and request an explanation, but again, the amount of shares represents the person's importance to the company.

I just don't see how this can be a "cover up". It would be a "cover up" if RCI sent the ship out without dealing with whatever the problem is. They are doing whatever they feel necessary to provide a safe and entertaining product, even at the cost to the bottom line.

Like I said, just a perspective. If Royal had not left so many people holding the bag on related costs perhaps people would not be asking why

Guys at the end of the day pop at me all you want it doesn't bother me all I did was agree with drydock Dave, that now knowing the reason for this delay, it won't go down well with the public.

Turn your frustration on Rci after all it's them who are with holding info and ensuring the info isn't shared.

Royal Caribbean owe those thousands of people the real reason for the cancelled cruises not me! I think they would respect the truth more than the explanation the cruise line have given. It's safe to say Rci are not making wise decisions of late not only with empress but majesty too!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have family in the water treatment and processing business who said he was going to the Bahamas to consult on some ship work. No ship name was specified. It did make me find this thread though; I wonder if they discovered issues with the onboard water generation system that required extended docking.

Does anyone know what ships are currently in dry dock and / or if there are water generation issues?

Majesty has plumbing issues and is headed to drydock

Straight up Royal is lying to the Public about this. And really not much can be done it. They will keep lying and passengers options are stay with them or leave for another company.

We (Customers) need to understand that Royal is not our friend, is not looking out for our best interest. They are looking out for the shareholders. So they play the balance game, be as nice as they need to and get maximum profit from the customers to return to the shareholder.

Nothing wrong with this but we as passengers need to protect ourselves and lookout and do what is best for us not for Royal.

I still don't get the point of the "smoking gun" hunt. I'll be the first to admit, I'm not personally affected by the cancellations, but if I was, I would base my feelings toward future business with RCI on how much towards "whole" they made me in terms of compensation, rather than on whether I got an explanation of a technical problem. I've stated before, that I felt they had handled the PR and customer service areas poorly (and I don't normally veer into those areas of discussion), but I just don't get the fixation on an explanation. Either you are satisfied with the customer service response to the incident, or you are not. JMHO.

I just don't get the fixation on an explanation. Either you are satisfied with the customer service response to the incident, or you are not. JMHO.

In my personal opinion- I now want to know what's up. What others are hinting at concerns me. My cruise was not cancelled but I am sailing in May with my 3 year old and my mother. I'm worried that I am bringing them in to an unsafe situation?!?

I understand that Royal may not want the info out there, but if it's a safety issue I do believe people have a right to know.

In my personal opinion- I now want to know what's up. What others are hinting at concerns me.

This.

It's not that any of us are trying to force a couple particular posters into telling us anything, but all we're saying is that referencing a huge problem that is "not going to sit well with the public" without any other information is not going to sit well with the posters on this thread.

In my personal opinion- I now want to know what's up. What others are hinting at concerns me. My cruise was not cancelled but I am sailing in May with my 3 year old and my mother. I'm worried that I am bringing them in to an unsafe situation?!?

I understand that Royal may not want the info out there, but if it's a safety issue I do believe people have a right to know.

To use your own issue of concern......whatever the issue is, they are taking care of it, should be the only concern you have. They would not allow the ship to sail until they were able to address it.

Let's not mix this up with how they handled the customer service side of the issue, because on that I feel they handled it poorly.

To use your own issue of concern......whatever the issue is, they are taking care of it, should be the only concern you have. They would not allow the ship to sail until they were able to address it.

Let's not mix this up with how they handled the customer service side of the issue, because on that I feel they handled it poorly.

Who has said the ship was "unsafe" or has a safety issue? The hints are that it is a "huge" problem, and that the reason will not please the RCI customer base. I don't hear anything about safety there. There are many checks and balances, despite the international nature of the industry, that would prevent an "unsafe" ship from leaving port at all. The very largest is a financial incentive in the form of the ship's insurance. As I've stated, and paulette says above, they are addressing any problems, so where is the concern. Another analogy. If the elevator in your building is taken out of service for maintenance, and the service company finds something that will require a part that has to be special ordered and will take two weeks to get, are you okay with them just hanging an "out of order" sign on it, or do you start clamoring for an explanation of what went wrong, and how the landlord is handling the situation? Why is the cruise industry so special it gets all this scrutiny?

Do you believe we are mushrooms to be kept in the dark and fed fertilizer ?

Even more, how does this silence in any way further RC's goals ? Rule one of crisis management is to get what information

you have out quickly and then put it behind you . Of course not abusing your customers is also a good idea .

I wanted to add I don't actually believe that this will be a safety issue when it is resolved .

Edited by richstowe