Bar soap in cabins?

cruzincurt

We recently came off a NCL cruise where there were no bars of soap in the cabin. There was a liquid soap dispenser near the sink and one in the shower. Does HAl still provide bar soap?

We will be on the Veendam next week.

Edited by cruzincurt

Yes, we had a very nice round white bar of soap near the sink on or Feb. cruise on the Veendam

Or, from my perspective, a disgusting, always wet, always disintegrating and fusing to the counter top mound of soap. I strongly prefer the liquid soap. And I have to imagine that HAL disposes of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of partially used bars of soap every year, which pains my pragmatic side. That's the argument for the liquid soap. But I certainly understand that a lot of folks like the bar soap. :)

Hate the liquid soap; love the bar soap. If HAL ever gets rid of bar soap it will be necessary to bring my own. There's nothing like a good bar soap lather to get your hands, and especially under the nails and around the cuticles, clean.

I never toss that leftover sliver of soap, either. I use it until it's too small, then start a new bar. When the new bar is wet, and a little soft, I press the old sliver on it. Presto! One new bar using up the old.

Hate the liquid soap; love the bar soap. If HAL ever gets rid of bar soap it will be necessary to bring my own. There's nothing like a good bar soap lather to get your hands, and especially under the nails and around the cuticles, clean.

I never toss that leftover sliver of soap, either. I use it until it's too small, then start a new bar. When the new bar is wet, and a little soft, I press the old sliver on it. Presto! One new bar using up the old.

I totaly agree with Ruth. The "bar" soap is Elemis hand soap. I love the smell..... and it is very softening. People are selling these little rounds on ebay for over $5 per "bar." Usually I like liquid soap in pump bottle, seems more hygienic - but this soap is too good to pass up.

Enjoy!

Edited by SS Exeter
spelling

I like both and of course they have both.

Liquid in the shower [i keep dropping the bar soap.] and bar soap for the sink - it can't get away from me there and it's just easier to work with and lathers better.

Edited by Happily@Sea

I agree. I really dislike liquid soap and my last HAL cruises, I brought along a bar of soap for both shower and sink, just in case. It had been sporadic for me getting a decent bar of the white soap for the sink and I didn't want to take a chance.

I'm fussy about what I use, so I bring my own shower gel from home. (Gilchrist and Soames) This last cruise, I found a Walgreen's and bought my preferred shampoo and conditioner, too. We used the bar soap at the sink, and DH used the bar soap in the shower. Because our suite bathroom had two sinks, we got two bars of soap. DH hates waste, so he just took the sink bar into the shower and returned it to the sink later. If I'd known I could have sold the other bar on ebay, I wouldn't have left it behind!:rolleyes:

I don't like the liquid and always ask our steward the first day for a second bar for the shower ... which is always happily provided.

And I have to imagine that HAL disposes of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of partially used bars of soap every year, which pains my pragmatic side.
I may be wrong, but I've always been under the impression that the used bars are sent to organizations such as cleantheworld.org that melt down and recycle it for homeless shelters in this country and/or charitable organizations in 3rd world countries.

I usually take ours home and use them up.

Edited by jtl513

I may be wrong, but I've always been under the impression that the used bars are sent to organizations such as cleantheworld.org that melt down and recycle it for homeless shelters in this country and/or charitable organizations in 3rd world countries.

I usually take ours home and use them up.

That's good to know. Thanks very much for sharing that bit of information.

For those who like liquid soap for showering, how is the stuff HAL provides in the shower? Any need to bring our own?

Again, people are funny for their tastes. Lot's of responders don't like the fragrance. I love the fragrance. :rolleyes: But regardless of preference, I'm under the impression it's high quality.

I am one who does like the shower gel provided and I also like the white, round bar of soap for the lavatory. Sometimes, I prefer having a bar of soap for the shower and my cabin steward is always able to provide such.

I do miss the yellow bar soap that once upon a time was available. A glycerin base, if I recall?

Or, from my perspective, a disgusting, always wet, always disintegrating and fusing to the counter top mound of soap. I strongly prefer the liquid soap. And I have to imagine that HAL disposes of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of partially used bars of soap every year, which pains my pragmatic side. That's the argument for the liquid soap. But I certainly understand that a lot of folks like the bar soap. :)

For some people it's not a case of not liking the liquid soap in the tub, it's a question of it causing an allergic reaction.

Also, the liquid soap is ONLY in the tub/shower. I like to have soap at the sink rather than stepping into the tub/shower to wash my hands.

Fair enough if you don't care for the bar soap for whatever reason, but others have valid reasons for creating those partially used bars of soap that bother your pragmatic side.

And for the record, I always bring my extra soap home to use -- it makes me feel like I'm on the ship again when I use those bars in the shower.

I am one who does like the shower gel provided and I also like the white, round bar of soap for the lavatory. Sometimes, I prefer having a bar of soap for the shower and my cabin steward is always able to provide such.

I do miss the yellow bar soap that once upon a time was available. A glycerin base, if I recall?

I loved the yellow glycerin soap as well. It was so nice for a face wash. I have one bar left from a cruise and I'm hoarding it for just the right time to use at home.

I never have any trouble getting bar soap from my cabin steward. In fact, on the last cruise, he was replacing them every other day whether I needed a new bar or not. I cam home with a good number of souvenir soaps!

The bath products are all Elemis which is as quality brand. Perhaps not the best of the best but fine for most of us who don't have allergies etc I like the Elemis Shampoo, Body Lotion and the round white bars of soap. I don't like liquid soap of any brand. I find the Elemis is lightly scented and pleasant to my sense of smell. :)

I simply cannot get beyond the "ick" factor of refillable soap in a public setting. I have no idea of who was there before me and what they may have done:eek: I am very cynical, I admit. But I need to opem my own toiletries. If HAL is too cheap to provide unopened soap, i guess I will have to bring my own!

Upper photo...

1 large bottle Hand Soap

2 Large bottle Shampoo

1 Large bottle Hair Conditioner

1 Large bottle Body Lotion

2 large bar hand soap. 1 for basin, 1 for shower.

Two lower photos....

Assorted bottles of 'sanitizers'. After using the sanitizers... I can't remember the name of the maker of the soaps! :D

The unused soaps etc in the bathroom... take them if you wished. They did not 'top up' for next passengers. That is a safety thing. I don't want bottles that have been used by other passengers on a previous cruise. Would you?

905876195_SAGASAPPHIRE2016P1010483.jpg.1875699134c75f2ffa8a3066ad7ab98e.jpg

946244592_SAGASAFAFFIRE20169-8670.jpg.7568c24b6bb5ba55007040ebb949003c.jpg

523783898_SAGASAPPHIRE2016876875.jpg.c95714cb3895c9546b8f6f000591c96b.jpg

What contains the white envelope? Are there any cotton but's avalible?

The white envelope contains a shower cap.

There are no cotton balls, at least in the lower level cabins. I don't know if the upper level cabins (balcony and/or suite) have them.