ONE Cruise Director's opinion of Cruise Critic

After the thrashing the Captain of the Anthem received here from the uninformed, non-maritime members of CC, who even refuse to accept the judgement of those government agencies they were vehement about getting to investigate, when those agencies went against their pre-conceived ideas, is it any wonder that officers, staff, and crew regard CC poorly?

Off the soapbox now.

+1

You should have seen the folks who tried to "correct" me about my experience on the Carnival Triumph.

Ok. I'm done trying to be helpful when thousands of people on CC wanted to know about CD and AD. When you attack me personally it is over.

As to my authenticity, just ask the thousands of patients I have helped in my 36 years as a licensed, board certified physician and surgeon. If have not lived a truthful, honest life both in person and professionally, I would have failed in life and medicine long, long ago.

I do find it interesting that there are character assassinations on members of CC every day; but on roll call boards where you will actually will meet other members face to face there are none. Nor is there snark.

You are probably referring to my post. It was NOT my intention to attack your personal integrity - you apparently are a fine person. As I said, you could be the very soul of truthfulness, and your fine career speaks to that.

My point was that to write off a person ("lost all my respect") based on an internet report from someone the person doesn't know personally is a bit extreme. If my brother or next door neighbor told me something like this, I'd have a breadth of experience with that person to go on that I don't have with most people on CC.

My apologies for being unclear & upsetting.

(ETA, the above doesn't not change what I said earlier about not liking or reading those threads, but again, that is just my opinion.)

Edited by cheezwiz
clarity

Ok. I'm done trying to be helpful when thousands of people on CC wanted to know about CD and AD. When you attack me personally it is over.

As to my authenticity, just ask the thousands of patients I have helped in my 36 years as a licensed, board certified physician and surgeon. If have not lived a truthful, honest life both in person and professionally, I would have failed in life and medicine long, long ago.

I do find it interesting that there are character assassinations on members of CC every day; but on roll call boards where you will actually will meet other members face to face there are none. Nor is there snark.

As the person who maintains the CD list, I appreciate your efforts and contributions. I depend upon people like you to report CD info back from your cruises.

My point was that to write off a person ("lost all my respect") based on an internet report from someone the person doesn't know personally is a bit extreme. If my brother or next door neighbor told me something like this, I'd have a breadth of experience with that person to go on that I don't have with most people on CC.

My apologies for being unclear & upsetting.

I made that comment based on many negative reviews of Mercedes. The CD is very important to me on a cruise because I participate in many of the activities and enjoy the entertainment, and I've found that the CD can make a huge difference in these areas.

If you don't agree, fine. I don't care what you think of my opinion

Edited by DonnaK

As the person who maintains the CD list, I appreciate your efforts and contributions. I depend upon people like you to report CD info back from your cruises.

I made that comment based on many negative reviews of Mercedes. The CD is very important to me on a cruise because I participate in many of the activities and enjoy the entertainment, and I've found that the CD can make a huge difference in these areas.

If you don't agree, fine. I don't care what you think of my opinion

As my grandfather often said, "If it weren't for a difference of opinion, there would be no horseraces."

While not a gambler, I do enjoy horseraces. Peace.

After the thrashing the Captain of the Anthem received here from the uninformed, non-maritime members of CC, who even refuse to accept the judgement of those government agencies they were vehement about getting to investigate, when those agencies went against their pre-conceived ideas, is it any wonder that officers, staff, and crew regard CC poorly?

Off the soapbox now.

Well, Chief, I am standing next to you on that soap box! While I could not care less who the CD or captain is, I would never trash one as has been done here.

Also, the LAST thing I would do is mention CC when I am on a cruise. I mean, what's the point of doing it?:confused:

Off the soapbox now.

I could have written your post because that was exactly my first thought when reading the OP. These CDs are humans too and are susceptible to bad days and bad moods. Given some of the things said about them, I don't blame them one bit for having negative feelings toward CC. Then again, I'm also the type who couldn't care any less who is staffing a ship. Nothing against those who do. I just don't. :)

It amazes me how being a member of this forum seems to give some people such a huge sense of entitlement, like they deserve extra perks or special treatment when they go on a cruise. I don't blame many of the cruise lines or their staff for being wary of CC members either.

Yep... And while the majority on here are good, and we share useful tips on how to enjoy your cruises while completely abiding by and taking advantage of the offers that the cruise industry offers, the vocal minority does set the reputation for the site as a whole. Mind you, this is the same everywhere on the internet, so its not unique to CC, but you do have to understand that within the working staff of the cruise industry, this site is little more than Yelp with a message board.

Lou, I mention CC a lot, but only when someone asks for information, I then recommend CC to them and tell them, I've learned almost all I know about cruising here. This is why I'm still here reading everyday. Learn something new all the time.

If I have to put up with the negative c--p, so be it, thats what that Ignore button is for! I try not to let it bother me...but I absolutely cannot tolerate people who deliberately try to denigrate others and their opinions....get into a lot of trouble defending folks:o

Well, Mercedes just lost all my respect, and I hope I never have the misfortune of sailing with her.

Likewise. Her unprofessional responses and lack of passenger engagement are fortunately the exception to any cruise we've sailed.

Glad the turnover to Dan Whitney will take place in advance of our next cruise on Adventure.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

The fact that a crew member is being trashed by name on CC and other posters are assuming it is all true kind of makes me think that if I were a crew member I may not be too big on CC either.

A crew member knows that they are speaking to someone who posts on CC and goes ahead and talks trash about the site. I wonder what that person should have expected to happen?

Well, Mercedes just lost all my respect, and I hope I never have the misfortune of sailing with her.

All she said was CC was full of rubbish and lies and as a result, someone felt the need to sprint to the nearest computer, log on to Cruise Critic and not only report it, but report the exact time that it happened. To me, that is total ridiculousness and frankly, it's exactly the sort of thing that makes crew/staff dislike forums like this. How rushing to a computer to report this is more important to a passenger than enjoying their vacation is beyond me.

Opposite of you, I have total respect for her, for being able to endure a job where judgmental people repeat everything she says on Cruise Critic and criticize her for it. :rolleyes:

The fact that a crew member is being trashed by name on CC and other posters are assuming it is all true kind of makes me think that if I were a crew member I may not be too big on CC either.

Exactly!

Edited by Cruzaholic41

I could have written your post because that was exactly my first thought when reading the OP. These CDs are humans too and are susceptible to bad days and bad moods. Given some of the things said about them, I don't blame them one bit for having negative feelings toward CC. Then again, I'm also the type who couldn't care any less who is staffing a ship. Nothing against those who do. I just don't. :)

Agreed. I just got off Majesty and have no idea who the Captain or the CD were. NO. IDEA. The captain got us everywhere we needed to go safely and on time, and we had fun, so all was good. I have had one bad experience with a CD who was talking very loudly about hooking up with a guest while in uniform and eating in Johnny Rockets, but otherwise I never even notice. I have found a lot of very useful tips on these boards, but sometimes I just come on here because I need a laugh and I know I'll find one.

Maybe its just me, and my upbringing, but if I don't like the service someone in the hospitality industry provides, the first thing I do is tell them to their face. That is only common courtesy and respect for others. I wouldn't go running to post my feelings about them anonymously on a cruise forum.

Almost every industry has message board websites that offer a lot of accurate, and a lot of inaccurate information. I follow a commercial aviation website that offers a lot of interesting information. But, for every bit of information that is accurate, there is the wrong information that someone got while talking to a flight attendant, gate agent, or pilot.

If you go to a website about the auto industry, there is always false information that someone got while talking to a service adviser or salesman at a car dealership.

Let's remember that sometimes rumors were accurate, at the time the rumor started. But, things change at the corporate level, and accurate information becomes wrong information.

People want information from those who know, whether it's an experienced cruiser who believes that the staff is better on Ship A, while the food in the MDR is better on Ship B, or someone who has figured out where a ship is moving to, before itineraries are officially released.

Maybe its just me, and my upbringing, but if I don't like the service someone in the hospitality industry provides, the first thing I do is tell them to their face. That is only common courtesy and respect for others. I wouldn't go running to post my feelings about them anonymously on a cruise forum.

Exactly. Because if at precisely 12:30, some 25 minutes ago, Mercedes checked Cruise Critic - all I can say is wow! You think she had a bad attitude about CC at precisely 7:35 this morning, that's nothing compared to how she feels now. :rolleyes:

Does anyone really care that much what the Captain, Officers, CD, AD, staff or crew think of this site or the people here? I think ALL cruise guests would be surprised to know what the crew thinks about them as a whole. Its not just limited to Cruise Critic members.

I have total respect for her, for being able to endure a job where judgmental people repeat everything she says on Cruise Critic and criticize her for it. :rolleyes:

Strange. For all the bashing and judging that is supposedly going on here regarding her, I had never ever heard or read her name before. Are there links?

All she said was CC was full of rubbish and lies and as a result, someone felt the need to sprint to the nearest computer, log on to Cruise Critic and not only report it, but report the exact time that it happened. To me, that is total ridiculousness and frankly, it's exactly the sort of thing that makes crew/staff dislike forums like this. How rushing to a computer to report this is more important to a passenger than enjoying their vacation is beyond me.

Opposite of you, I have total respect for her, for being able to endure a job where judgmental people repeat everything she says on Cruise Critic and criticize her for it. :rolleyes:

^^^^^ Right on!^^^^^

Another word comes to mind with these types of posts: LIBEL! (slander if you prefer, but it is in writing).

^^^^^ Right on!^^^^^

Another word comes to mind with these types of posts: LIBEL! (slander if you prefer, but it is in writing).

Maybe Ive missed them but I have never seen anything even close to defamation of character on here regarding a Cruise Director. I didnt even know Royal Caribbean had a CD named Mercedes but I cant really see how telling the board how she feels about this site is a defamation or published false statement that is damaging to her. Someone saying they have lost respect for her is not libel :confused:

I did see some things regarding Capt. Claus that screamed libel.

Edited by ryano

I've never cared who the CD was. What do they do anyway? What's the fascination with them? I don't remember a single one of mine nor have I talked to them. I may have seen 1 or 2 during my cruises, but I wouldn't want to bet money on that...

My posts and personal opinions on this subject do not warrant a personal attack by you at all.

The need you felt to as you sat anonymously behind your computer...now that's "pathetic".

And even more pathetic it's been allowed to stay. I've been censored and infractes for MUCH less

^^^^^ Right on!^^^^^

You should ask all those businesses that wanted to charge a monetary penalty for bad reviews how that went. Whether she could prove defamation or not, the negative response would vastly outweigh any gain.

Also, proving it isn't as easy as you might think. And finally and perhaps most important, she would need to show a loss. Has RCCL fired her, demoted her or otherwise negatively impacted her career? Isn't she being transferred to a larger ship? That hardly seems a negative consequence of what some people on CC think of her.

Sometimes it is best to let things go unsaid. A more appropriate response might have been. "Cruise Critic? Yes I am aware of it. I find most things on there, particularly the forums, should be viewed very skeptically."

She can head down to the crew bar later and tell everyone her real opinions, not where passengers can hear.

For some reason, your post made me think of another point.

We weren't there. We don't know HOW she said it. One thing I've learned from reading posts on the internet is that people have different levels of humor. Many people take things far more seriously than intended.

May have happened how the OP said, but there is also the saying "believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear."