ONE Cruise Director's opinion of Cruise Critic

I can't imagine having nothing better to do on vacation than to seek out a cruise employee and interrogate them about their job assignments and the name of their replacement. Then to run to a computer to post the outcome on the internet. Sad on so many levels :rolleyes:

Edited by bouhunter

She can head down to the crew bar later and tell everyone her real opinions, not where passengers can hear.

I would love just once to be a fly on the wall at a crew bar and hear some of the discussions regarding cruise guests. I highly doubt its limited to cruise critic members. In fact, I would wager that the worst of the worst dont even know this place exists.

People can say what they want to about John Heald but he gets trashed on Cruise Critic on a daily basis almost and takes it all in stride and just fires right back. Doubt he would ever consider it libel or a defamation of character. Maybe Mercedes could take a few notes from him. :)

Edited by ryano

When I read a lot of things on here, I am reminded of this famous quote and remember to take everything with a grain of salt. It's just cruising.

"My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious."

:D

Exactly. Because if at precisely 12:30, some 25 minutes ago, Mercedes checked Cruise Critic - all I can say is wow! You think she had a bad attitude about CC at precisely 7:35 this morning, that's nothing compared to how she feels now. :rolleyes:

You do realize that there are websites where people can go a write about their experience and perception on almost anything these days. It doesn't matter if it is a doctor, lawyer, teacher, movie theater, etc, etc, etc. People post all kinds of opinions about all kinds of stuff and identifying who, or what, they are writing about by name. And nowhere are the subjects of those writing informed about it or given the chance to defend themselves. Most of the time you don't even know who posted the comments.

And the sites are so varied that you probably have no idea where to look or that you have even been written about. No one likes to read posts where they have been raked over the coals. That is even moreso when you have no idea who is doing it and you have no chance to defend yourself or get the postings removed. There are probably very few professionals out there who have not been written about somewhere and they probably don't even know it has happened. That, unfortunately, is the new world in the age of the internet... for better or worse.

Edited by Ocean Boy

IMHO she is one of the worst CD's we have ever experienced so, for that reason i do hope she isn't on your cruise in April ...and no, she won't attend the M & M (or at least she hasn't on the couple of cruises we have been on that she was CD) :)

I totally agree with this. I usually don't pay much attention to the CD, and would never book a cruise based on that, but when we were on Adventure last December, she stood out to us in a very bad way. We thought she was terribly annoying! :eek: We loved that cruise and would like to go an Adventure again but certainly hope for a different CD!

You do realize that there are websites where people can go a write about their experience and perception on almost anything these days. It doesn't matter if it is a doctor, lawyer, teacher, movie theater, etc, etc, etc. People post all kinds of opinions about all kinds of stuff and identifying who, or what, they are writing about by name. And nowhere are the subjects of those writing informed about it or given the chance to defend themselves. Most of the time you don't even know who posted the comments.

And the sites are so varied that you probably have no idea where to look or that you have even been written about. No one likes to read posts where they have been raked over the coals. That is even moreso when you have no idea who is doing it and you have no chance to defend yourself or get the postings removed. There are probably very few professionals out there who have not been written about somewhere and they probably don't even know it has happened. That, unfortunately, is the new world in the age of the internet... for better or worse.

I do realize that and I've come to accept it. You, me and everyone else on this site are part of it.

However, the part I find really sad is the rushing to a computer, while on vacation, to report something so trivial. That sounds like something a 13 year old girl would do.

I would love just once to be a fly on the wall at a crew bar and hear some of the discussions regarding cruise guests. I highly doubt its limited to cruise critic members. In fact, I would wager that the worst of the worst dont even know this place exists.

People can say what they want to about John Heald but he gets trashed on Cruise Critic on a daily basis almost and takes it all in stride and just fires right back. Doubt he would ever consider it libel or a defamation of character. Maybe Mercedes could take a few notes from him. :)

John Heald is a bit of an exception. He is paid by Carnival specifically to be their social media face. And I'm sure he does have to run most of his posts by someone before putting it online.

So to expect her to take it with the humor of John Heald is a bit much. But she certainly should know better than to respond as she did. I doubt corporate cared for her response. Most forums are monitored by the industry, whatever industry it is. They don't want to see themselves in a bad light, particularly when it is a specific employee.

My guess is that she has or will receive some coaching that effectively boils down to what I said. Graciously say nothing and then vent later beyond closed doors.

John Heald is a bit of an exception. He is paid by Carnival specifically to be their social media face. And I'm sure he does have to run most of his posts by someone before putting it online.

So to expect her to take it with the humor of John Heald is a bit much. But she certainly should know better than to respond as she did. I doubt corporate cared for her response. Most forums are monitored by the industry, whatever industry it is. They don't want to see themselves in a bad light, particularly when it is a specific employee.

My guess is that she has or will receive some coaching that effectively boils down to what I said. Graciously say nothing and then vent later beyond closed doors.

You have a very valid point about JH. I agree with everything else you just posted.

One Adventure now. At precisely 7:35 this evening, some 25 minutes ago, while my wife and I are sitting in the R Bar, Mercedes and Margot pass by. I got up and asked to confirm for Cruise Critic that what they told me last night and this morning was true about assignments.

Mercedes stated, "I can't believe you contribute to Cruise Critic, it is rubbish and lies". She went on to contradict what was mentioned this morning. She told me that she is definitely "staying on board until at least April. These things are fluid and change by the minute." She would not confirm what others have reported here about who will replace her. Once again she asked, "where do you hear these rumors?" Margot did confirm the handover on Saturday and she is going to Oasis, albeit sheepishly, like it was no one's business.

As I stated in a review of the current cruise we are on, our concierge, Ryno Strapp does not read Cruise Critic because "the rumors are too upsetting".

Ok. I'm done trying to be helpful when thousands of people on CC wanted to know about CD and AD. When you attack me personally it is over.

As to my authenticity, just ask the thousands of patients I have helped in my 36 years as a licensed, board certified physician and surgeon. If have not lived a truthful, honest life both in person and professionally, I would have failed in life and medicine long, long ago.

I do find it interesting that there are character assassinations on members of CC every day; but on roll call boards where you will actually will meet other members face to face there are none. Nor is there snark.

Thank you Minn0315 for what you tried to do, to assist me with the information for the Activity Manager's thread that I try to maintain. I appreciate your attempt, even if others' do not. Cruisers, like yourself are generally the best source of information, but staff members that I have personally met, over my cruises are another resource.

In the beginning of my cruise experiences I really did not understand the impact a CD (or their staff) could have on the fun experience that I have onboard. By the 5th or 6th cruise and having various CD's and AM's I realized that the planning and staging of activities takes more than a random amount of scheduling. Add to that the personalities of the CD or AM.

I don't usually book a cruise dependent on who the CD or AM is going to be....I always look forward to a cruise; yet if I know that a specific CD or AM is going to be on a cruise with me when I have had a great experience on a cruise with them in the past, it just tells me that it is going one filled with fun activities.

I can tell you this, there are some AM's that are so much more visible around the ship than the CD, that you would never know (except for 'showtime and the morning show') who the CD was. It is a partnership that those two staff members make up to give cruisers a wonderful experience.

To Minn0315, I thank you again for your effort; sorry for the experience that you received back in return.

Over my business life, the people who wear a name tag of their employer are representing that employer ALL THE TIME. With Royal, even when they are 'not working' but onboard, employees need to wear their name tag.....therefor 100% of the time, they need to remember the people they are talking with are their guests (and more importantly paying customers that they want to return).

I'm imagining the OP in a fedora with a "Press" pass in it and shoving a Cruise Critic microphone in Mercedes's face. I agree the investigative reporting angle feels a bit creepy. How would you feel if someone came to your job and starting asking personal questions of you with the expressed intent of posting your response on a web site? Just leave the poor woman alone. She is not a "public figure" as someone stated; she's a person doing a job. Your customers or clients or patients etc, might know you by name, but that gives them no right to start pressing for and publicizing personal details of your life.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On our first cruise w/ Celebrity, the Head Butler worked with us. We learned later, we were at the top of a particular list: Elite, on Cruise Critic, and in a Suite.

So CruiseCritic must have some status!

What's the difference between a Cruise Director and an Activities Director? Who works for whom? I don't remember seeing an Activities Director before 2014 when he and Topi started doing morning shows together.

The middleageddramaqueen got some excellent service in one of the specialty restaurants by telling them she was a reviewer.

We've had some great officers to our M&G: the cruise director on our infamous fog cruise out of Galveston, Captain's Wife, Captain visited the M&G on Celebrity. But we've also had some CD staff too. Once someone asked where the Captain was, and the CD said he had to be on the bridge while inside the "Inside Passage" in Alaska.

On our Serenade trip last fall our CD, Carly??, had absolutely no enrichment presentations. DH asked her about it, and she said they don't schedule enrichment presentations unless we have four sea days in a row.

But, on a recent thread, someone posted some Compasses for Serenade, same itinerary as us. New CD, Topi, and he scheduled lectures nearly every day.

Unfortunately, our next cruise isn't with Royal, because we were told no enrichment presentations by Serenade's CD.

Edited by knittinggirl

I'm imagining the OP in a fedora with a "Press" pass in it and shoving a Cruise Critic microphone in Mercedes's face. I agree the investigative reporting angle feels a bit creepy. How would you feel if someone came to your job and starting asking personal questions of you with the expressed intent of posting your response on a web site? Just leave the poor woman alone. She is not a "public figure" as someone stated; she's a person doing a job. Your customers or clients or patients etc, might know you by name, but that gives them no right to start pressing for and publicizing personal details of your life.

VERY well said.

I think she is a public figure in the sense that you mention her name to a bunch of the cruising public, and they know who she is. Her name and picture have probably been posted in daily Compasses.

Also, no one is delving into her personal life, they are commenting on where she may be next, acting as a public figure on a cruise ship. There are other posts (in other threads, not this one) that I disagree with, such as posting someone's personal life events. I simply don't comment.

You can always click on the red triangle and ask to have the entire thread, or posts, removed. Let the moderators decide.

If someone posted anything not related to her job, yes that is invasive. I think some of these posts are in poor taste, but not invasive.

Edited by marci22

What's the difference between a Cruise Director and an Activities Director? Who works for whom? I don't remember seeing an Activities Director before 2014 when he and Topi started doing morning shows together.

The middleageddramaqueen got some excellent service in one of the specialty restaurants by telling them she was a reviewer.

We've had some great officers to our M&G: the cruise director on our infamous fog cruise out of Galveston, Captain's Wife, Captain visited the M&G on Celebrity. But we've also had some CD staff too. Once someone asked where the Captain was, and the CD said he had to be on the bridge while inside the "Inside Passage" in Alaska.

On our Serenade trip last fall our CD, Carly??, had absolutely no enrichment presentations. DH asked her about it, and she said they don't schedule enrichment presentations unless we have four sea days in a row.

But, on a recent thread, someone posted some Compasses for Serenade, same itinerary as us. New CD, Topi, and he scheduled lectures nearly every day.

Unfortunately, our next cruise isn't with Royal, because we were told no enrichment presentations by Serenade's CD.

The Activity Manager (sometimes referred to as Activity Director) is like the assistant to the Cruise Director. The CD is responsible for scheduling activities on board to give the cruisers more than just 'sun' to keep them occupied. If a CD gets sick, the AM will fill in for them. The CD hosts some of the activities, especially the shows in the Theater, or Aqua Theater (larger ships), but much of their responsibility is scheduling and assuring a good entertainment experience overall by a cruiser. If their is a problem that a guest has, they are open to hearing it, and will find a way to resolve it -- not that they may resolve it, but take it to the officer/personnel that can. Many times, I have seen more of the AM than the CD walking around the ship, but they work very close together. Your experience on Serenade regarding the scheduling of enrichment programs is just one example. Different CD's put different things on the cruise calendar and at times it may be cruise length dependent, I would imagine as well as availability of staff that can deliver the program.

I hope this is helpful to you.

I personally don't see the OP as you do, but rather opening up a pleasant discussion. I don't see the question that she posed as so creepy. The OP was not asking the kind of personal question that would qualify (at least to me) as personal --- she wasn't inquiring as to her personal life, such a work related scheduling question.

I work for a public company, and when I come back from vacation or I am not in the field for a few weeks, often my customers say they were going to be unhappy if I left the company or was transferred to another location. I don't take it as anything more than, happiness that customers cared where I was or what I might have in my future next.

Do I share personal, truly personal information with them, no....but lots of times it becomes interesting conversations, that I am happy to have with my customers --- and if they have a good experience conversing with me, perhaps they will stay happy customers longer. Every exchange I have with a customer has to be with good PR as it intent.

Edited by Paulette3028

I personally don't see the OP as you do, but rather opening up a pleasant discussion. I don't see the question that she posed as so creepy. The OP was not asking the kind of personal question that would qualify (at least to me) as personal --- she wasn't inquiring as to her personal life, such a work related scheduling question.

I totally agree and I dont see why some are making such a big deal out of this and piling on the OP like they have. Its not like it was a personal question at all. It was a simple request for a confirmation for the "current so and so" lists. i dont use those lists and dont really care who the Captain, Cruise Director or Activities Manager is gonna be but that doesnt mean they arent useful to others. Im sure if Cruise Critic Admin thought those threads were delving into the personal lives of those they involve, the threads wouldnt exist.

Much ado about nothing as always :rolleyes:

Edited by ryano

I personally don't see the OP as you do, but rather opening up a pleasant discussion.

I'm assuming you mean her discussion with the Cruise Director, right? The truth is, we don't know how that discussion went exactly and the CD is not here to defend herself.

I'm assuming you mean her discussion with the Cruise Director, right? The truth is, we don't know how that discussion went exactly and the CD is not here to defend herself.

I went back and re-read the first post. No where did the OP pass judgement, they simply passed on what was said. While certainly the OP could be a bold faced liar, I doubt it. There was just a desire to pass on information. Yes, we weren't there, so it may have gone even worse than the OP relayed.

The OP was very precise as to time, but then the OP later mentioned being a surgeon. Perhaps the OP is simply very precise in life because that is what his/her job requires.

One Adventure now. At precisely 7:35 this evening, some 25 minutes ago, while my wife and I are sitting in the R Bar, Mercedes and Margot pass by. I got up and asked to confirm for Cruise Critic that what they told me last night and this morning was true about assignments.

This was simple/clear, innocent, and should not have been met with any Cruise Director's hostility. Terrible attitude and response by the CD as others have also concluded.

Oh the drama:rolleyes:

CC is nothing more than a source of amusement for the few crew that might read it.

Actually...more than we might think.

There have been Current Captain, Current Cruise Director, and Current Entertainment Director threads at this site for years. Some diligent volunteers assemble and present the (by ship) information for the cruiser/reader population.

This is updated and maintained through a combination of sources, which includes direct "tweets", Facebook posts, and other channels. In addition, some passengers aboard various ships add information as it becomes available. Hats off to those who take the time to do this voluntarily.

The benefit is to those who are either curious or interested in those roles on their next cruise. It is common that most cruisers find great experiences firsthand in their travels, and also historical preferences for these important onboard staff.

In reality, the specific unfortunate experience (reported upon by the original poster) is highly unusual. While personnel will always vary, as well as how they perform...the unprofessionalism in this case is beyond anything most experienced cruisers typically will ever see themselves.

It's unfortunate but still noteworthy.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

This was simple/clear, innocent, and should not have been met with any Cruise Director's hostility. Terrible attitude and response by the CD as others have also concluded.

I don't know, the OP stated, as you quoted, that they had received information twice ("last night and this morning") that said one thing (OP never said the two information sessions contradicted each other). Why would they need a third statement about something, which even if you grant the CD a "public figure" status, is really an internal matter between the employee and the cruise line?

And the OP was not about the assignments (since they never stated what information they had received prior to the "incident") but about the CD's attitude, which as I said, should have been addressed at the time, in person, not on a message board.