Help From Galveston First Time

Dave4120

Hello...after cruising for years, we are planning to cruise out of Galveston for the first time.

For those of you that have cruised out of this port, would you be king enough to help us out.

Someone mentioned we can fly into two different airports and one might be easier than the other?

Not sure where to stay with the least amount of hassle.

Since it's our first time from here, should we arrange our own transfers when we arrive a day prior from airport to hotel, hotel to ship and ship back to airport? Or, do RCCL transfers?

Anything else I'm not thing about would also be welcome.

Thank-you for your help.

Dave

Hobby is by far closer , but less than a hour. Galveston hotels are expensive, a few years ago you could get Hilton for a little over 100 now they want over 200 and a 2 night stay, so now we stay at hotel near Hobby, last year we did doubletree which was about 100.

As mentioned, Hobby is the more convenient airport. We drive to Galveston from Dallas and with a car it's easy to stay near Hobby Airport and then drive the 30 - 45 minutes to Galveston the morning of the cruise.

But since you're flying and won't have a car, I would make arrangements to get to Galveston and spend the night there. It's a quick and inexpensive cab ride to port on Sunday morning. After the cruise, I would make arrangements to take RCCL transfers to the airport.

I'm pretty sure the cruiseline does not offer transfers to port for arrivals the day before the cruise. Suggest you search shuttle companies for a shared ride from Hobby to Galveston. Lots of good information on the Gulf Coast Departure boards too, as has been suggested.

Hello...after cruising for years, we are planning to cruise out of Galveston for the first time.

For those of you that have cruised out of this port, would you be king enough to help us out.

Someone mentioned we can fly into two different airports and one might be easier than the other?

Since it's our first time from here, should we arrange our own transfers when we arrive a day prior from airport to hotel, hotel to ship and ship back to airport? Or, do RCCL transfers?

Thank-you for your help.

Dave

one of the airports has Southwest( i think that's the nearer one) . the total difference in time from the further one is like an other 20-30 minutes. figure 60-90 minutes from the pier. unless the weather totally sucks( high wind or rain, dense fog) then the bridge will be a snail's pace( for good reason!) you have three options for lodging: stay close to the airport the night before and use one of the private services. stay in Texas City( maybe 15 minutes off the island) using transport from the airport to there and then a taxi or other shuttle service to the pier or stay on the island( which can be damned pricey and many enforce a 2 night minimum stay) or actually 4th would be to rent a car( enterprise has the only drop off spot on the island) and take a taxi to the pier.

I would not trust/deal with royal transfers at this port.

We have and will be again flying in to Houston international, yes its further away than bush , but better chance of getting a direct flight for us , we come in a few days early rent a car , and we are currently booked in a hotel in Texas city about 20 minutes from Galveston , found renting a car way cheaper for the 10 days when you consider price to stay in Galveston for a couple of nights and cost to shuttle and cab everywhere this way more convenient than relying on shuttles and taxis ect .... Plus since our flight does not leave till 5pm we have the rental car for disembarkation day ,

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

one of the airports has Southwest( i think that's the nearer one) . the total difference in time from the further one is like an other 20-30 minutes. figure 60-90 minutes from the pier. unless the weather totally sucks( high wind or rain, dense fog) then the bridge will be a snail's pace( for good reason!) you have three options for lodging: stay close to the airport the night before and use one of the private services. stay in Texas City( maybe 15 minutes off the island) using transport from the airport to there and then a taxi or other shuttle service to the pier or stay on the island( which can be damned pricey and many enforce a 2 night minimum stay) or actually 4th would be to rent a car( enterprise has the only drop off spot on the island) and take a taxi to the pier.

I don't know that enterprise allows after hour drop off and if memory serves they close at noon on Saturday and are closed Sunday

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank-you for your help.

Dave

The two airports are Hobby (which is south of Houston) and Bush (which is north of Houston). As far as I know, only Southwest flies into Hobby. Hobby is about 30 minutes closer to Galveston than Bush is.

Why would you not trust Royal Caribbean?

Thanks for all of the valuable information. Maybe it's just me because I'm used to cruising out of other ports in the past, but it reads like cruising out of Galveston might be a bit more stressful than out of Cape Liberty, Baltimore and most Florida ports???

Thanks for all of the valuable information. Maybe it's just me because I'm used to cruising out of other ports in the past, but it reads like cruising out of Galveston might be a bit more stressful than out of Cape Liberty, Baltimore and most Florida ports???

Totally agree with this statement but be prepared to be attacked. We have looked at cruising from Galveston multiple times because there always seems to be cheap cruises from this port. Most hotels require a two night minimum stay, most rental car agencies are closed on Sunday, airports are a long distance away, all not worth the hassle to us.

WARNING

There is construction on 45 South bound,

and will last for months.

This could easily add HOURS for travel time.

:eek:

If you with Royal on ship and with their transfer they are not leaving without out you. Period.

Yes there is construction but it will not add hours to you're travel time!!!! There can be delays!

We drove it twice last Saturday to/from Spring and Galveston . Spring is way outside of Bush , and drive each way in construction in about 1 1/2 hours! There were two ships in port on Saturday. And Spring Break starting.

Edited by ssb

We love cruising out of Galveston because we can drive to port. But, if I had to get on a plane...it would be to one of the Florida ports, not Galveston.

WARNING

There is construction on 45 South bound,

and will last for months.

This could easily add HOURS for travel time.

:eek:

Where is this construction? In November, we're coming from Austin to Houston to Galveston. Edited by knittinggirl

Where is this construction? In November, we're coming from Austin to Houston to Galveston.

Construction currently on I-45 @ the Sam Houston Tollway and at I-45 @ El Dorado Blvd.

Where is this construction? In November, we're coming from Austin to Houston to Galveston.

Construction starts from just south of Beltway 8 to Nasa Rd 1 exit. Sunday a.m. should be relatively free of traffic unless its a beautiful day and people head to Galveston. Construction just tore down the bridge over Bay Area Blvd but it doesn't affect the main lanes.

Traffic is bad all the time out here. And btw...the big airport is IAH and the airport closest to Galveston is HOU. Southwest flies in/out of Hobby (HOU) which is now also an international airport. But NOT to be confused with IAH (Bush Intercontinental).

We have done Galveston three times, one RCCL and two CCL. Twice we flew to HOB and once we drove. We drove from CA because we were visiting kids at Ft Hood for Christmas and decided to take a NYE cruise.

We sailed on both Saturday and Sundays. While HOU is closer if there is a huge price difference on fares then the time difference isn't that important. However, the cost for a car service between the two might off set any air fare savings.

We never really had any big issues with traffic getting to Galveston. The first time we flew in late on a Friday (commute time) and it was raining. Traffic sucked but it still only took us about 90 minutes.

The other two times we breezed down in about 35 minutes and leaving on the Sunday after NYE trip we were dropping my brother and DIL at HOU in 25 minutes after leaving the parking lot.

Getting there I would hire a car service. Leaving I would do the ships shuttle. Rental cars are an issue on the island as I believe they are all closed on Sunday. I think I would avoid a rental and stick with taxi or shuttles. Taxis are all over and cheap as the island isn't that big.

We just stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites and it was very nice. It's right across the street from a Walmart so you can pick up any last minute items. Alcohol to take on board is a little harder to find, but there is a huge liquor store just a couple of blocks from the hotel or have you driver make a quick stop on the way in from the airport.

The hotel has a shuttle to the ship. Luckily we drove as the lobby was packed with people for the shuttle. I am not sure how they book the shuttle so it might be RSVP, hopefully not first come first serve. Hotel does a free breakfast.

All being said, Galveston is a fairly easy port to sail. However, depending on the time of the year it's not that great. We decided this last cruise would be our last from there. We have sailed October, December, and March. October wasn't to bad. December totally sucked as we had horrible weather leaving and the last day. So we lost two full deck days. Same with March on the first day at sea.

Edited by jamesr3939

Its been 4 years but one thing I liked about flying into Houston International was they have a underground monorail that enabled us to get to the airport hotel (the Marriot). It was quick and painless as the monorail stop was very close to where we picked up our luggage. We had a long travel day so it was appreciated. We had arranged with RCCL to take their shuttle the next day to get to Galveston. It was a shared shuttle so 1 or 2 stops but did not mind as it was a way to see a bit of Houston. Frankly, I'm starting a cruise so getting to the cruise port is part of the excitement no matter how I get there. There were probably 15 people taking the shuttle.

The two airports are Hobby (which is south of Houston) and Bush (which is north of Houston). As far as I know, only Southwest flies into Hobby. Hobby is about 30 minutes closer to Galveston than Bush is.

Also American, Delta, and JetBlue.