Good hearty cheap eating central London?

mattR

Can anyone recommend any good places to eat that is reasonably priced in central London will be staying at the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London. Are there any must eats when in London?

Fish and chips....even tho we think the Irish do them better. You have to see the portion size! And the fact you will have a choice of 4 to 6 types of fish.

Fully clothed in heavy duty flame suit....:D:D:D

Edited by CruiserBruce

Quick food, good quality either eat in or take out, Pret a Manger, found everywhere. Pubs often serve hearty, less expensive foods. There are many Indian take away places. Ask the concierge at your hotel for a recommendation. I always ask "where would you or other staff eat?", then I get a locals place rather than a tourist place.

Not sure how good an idea an Indian take-away is. You can't really eat it with just your fingers [like you can fish and chips] and even if you have the utensils, the smell is likely to linger in your hotel room for days.

Pret a Manger is good, but really only sandwiches/baguettes etc.

Personally, I would aim for a pub. As suggested, ask the concierge for suggestions.

Try China Town with lots of choices for reasonably priced good food. The Cote' group of brasseries is excellent. There are many many fair to good Indian where you can eat in. Many pubs have good food these days as well as cheap drink.

Given the size of cheap hotel rooms you will wind up with food smells to sleep with if you bring in. Lots of reasonably priced restaurants in which you can grab a meal.

There are a couple of restaurant chains located in many places in London.

Patisserie Valerie

Cafe Concerto

Prices are reasonable and the places are nice.

My suggestion is just to walk around and see what looks good to you.

Keith

God, I wouldn't wish a Wimpy on my worst enemy. Even more disgusting than McD's. I'm not sure Wimpy exist at all in London these days. They were popular in the 60s.

Oh, there are a few. But nowhere the OP is likely to find himself :)

Nearest one would be one down the 'Blue' in Southwark.

A second vote for Masters fish and chips - also Chinatown (probably avoid Wong Kei unless you want to see how dodgy service can be:p).

There are also loads of 'designer' burger places springing up - they beat the crap out of McDs and BK (and Wimpey:eek:!) but are bit more pricey.

Pizza Express are not too bad either.

As always, so much depends on what the OP means by "hearty", "reasonably priced" and "good". Or, for that matter, "central London". These questions are always pretty much unanswerable when they're so general. This thread has already got answers that range from a restaurant chain that many would actually consider quite fancy and would go to as a treat, to a sandwich bar that I go to when I have to grab some lunch to eat al desko and I can't be bothered to think or walk far (which is several times a week).

But for something quintessentially British, Masters is reasonably convenient (though still 15-ish minutes walk from the hotel). And if the OP goes, they will discover that "quintessentially British" includes "owned and run by a Chinese family".

Jellied Eels if you feel brave.

Or look out for Toad-in-the-Hole, Spotted Dick, or Eton Mess which will add some traditional treats to your visit.

None of these are what they sound like, except Eels which are as described.

You forgot Pie, mash and liquor;).

The two suggestions I was surprised to read was Pizza and Hamburgers.

Try things that are prepared nicely in London whether that is Fish and Chips, Chinese, Indian, etc. At least my view. Sort of like why go to the Hard Rock Cafe?

Keith

The two suggestions I was surprised to read was Pizza and Hamburgers.

Try things that are prepared nicely in London whether that is Fish and Chips, Chinese, Indian, etc. At least my view. Sort of like why go to the Hard Rock Cafe?

Keith

I agree.. When we get to London, my wife and I have a pact not to eat anything we can get easily in the States.. You certainly won't find us at McDonalds, Burger King or Subway.. Heck, we don't even eat at those places at home..

Kenswing, we also don't eat at Subway, McDonald's nor Burger King in the USA. And when we are visiting another place outside of the USA I don't want to be eating at USA based chains over there even if there was one I liked.

Keith

There are quite a lot of pubs and restaurants not far from the hotel of which many are not chains. You really need to have a walk around when you get there. Have a look on something like opentable, which will give you an idea of what is in the area.

If you're at Westminster then Studio 6 is not too far away on the Southbank & good value

http://www.studio6restaurant.com

There are usually a few bullet vans along Southbank which starts as you cross Westminster bridge. They're good value on a warm evening when you can grab a bench & watch the world & the river go by.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app