Thank you for sharing

moniquet

What does thank you for sharing really mean:confused: I see it used quite a lot but only when people complain about something. eg. Poster says my last Princess cruise was awful and there is always someone says thank you for sharing. However, if someone says their last cruise was great no one says it. Does it mean get lost, shut up complaining ;) or am I imagining it.

When spoken in conversation it is almost certainly done sarcastically or (when making a complaint with a business) condescendingly: the unspoken second half of the sentence is either "...but I don't give a toss" or "...but I can't (or won't) do anything to assist you".

In writing on a message board my thinking is that it is meant to be casually dismissive: "Well, your post was nothing I actually care about, but props for the effort anyway I guess :rolleyes:"

Also a very effective device for running one's post count up ;)

Edited by fishywood

When spoken in conversation it is almost certainly done sarcastically or (when making a complaint with a business) condescendingly: the unspoken second half of the sentence is either "...but I don't give a toss" or "...but I can't (or won't) do anything to assist you".

In writing on a message board my thinking is that it is meant to be casually dismissive: "Well, your post was nothing I actually care about, but props for the effort anyway I guess :rolleyes:"

Personally I prefer "thank you for your feedback" ;)

Thanks for the feedback.;)

Yes, and one or two posters also post nothing but welcome to cc along with the thanks for sharing, to up their count.

Yes, and one or two posters also post nothing but welcome to cc along with the thanks for sharing, to up their count.

Dinner ding, it's all about the post count. At least that's my thought on it.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

When I write thanks for sharing, I am not being sarcastic (most of the time :)) but mean it. If they share information or an announcement a cruise line made, a change in their policies etc, I appreciate someone taking the time to write it on these forums and let us know.

I don't understand all the negativity about it.

When I write thanks for sharing, I am not being sarcastic (most of the time :)) but mean it. If they share information or an announcement a cruise line made, a change in their policies etc, I appreciate someone taking the time to write it on these forums and let us know.

I don't understand all the negativity about it.

All comes down to the emojis being used

'Thanks for sharing.:rolleyes:' is sarcastic :p

Otherwise I see it as a thanks for the information (and upping the post count)

Edited by SadieN

What does thank you for sharing really mean:confused: I see it used quite a lot but only when people complain about something. eg. Poster says my last Princess cruise was awful and there is always someone says thank you for sharing. However, if someone says their last cruise was great no one says it. Does it mean get lost, shut up complaining ;) or am I imagining it.

It is akin to when a Southerner says " Bless your heart".

When someone takes the time to provide thoughtful feedback that I read I do take the time to thank them for sharing their feedback. I don't have to agree with what they said but it's good to get all types of feedback on a cruise.

Keith

When someone takes the time to provide thoughtful feedback that I read I do take the time to thank them for sharing their feedback. I don't have to agree with what they said but it's good to get all types of feedback on a cruise.

That's my view as well, though I don't reply to every post. I'm never sarcastic when I say it.

P.S. I don't care about my post count.