Does NCL really care ???

cruisersflife

As a long time platinum ncl crusier I have to ask what happen to ncl . Just got off the gem march 12th sailing and it waslike I had book a dollar store cruise. Drinks 13.00 dollars for a malibu n pineapple , 8.00 for room service ,we had to miss st. martin do to many sick people and THEY give me a $ 9.76 return for missing a port WOw this for a cruise price of over 4 thousand dollars . I told them I can`t even afford your drinks at the price. So we loose 1 of our 3 n half stops and they compensate me $9.76 cents WOW Start taking my money to another cruise line or maybe resorts . There dinner menus are the almost the same everynight with afew different items changed then recycle 2 days later . TERRIBLE I remember ner seeing the same items for at least 7 days , the people on service agreed with me and told to call corporate they will listen to me because I`m platinum lol lol good luck with that they just don`t care ANYMORE so future cruisers beware not like those hyped commercials ANYMORE

Sorry to hear that as a long-time customer you didn't have the experience you expected.

I hope you are better able to afford cruising elsewhere due to the exhorbitant prices for drinks and room service you experienced on the Gem and find another line that never has an issue with safely reaching a port of call.

I would take the advice of the onboard personnel who so openly agreed with you about the disappointing decline in service and contact the corporate offices with your concerns.

I've come to the conclusion that any cruise is what each person makes of it. I am not knocking the OP is unhappy, but amazing to find the drastic ends of the spectrum in reviews on this particular cruise. I just so happen to be reading them all since I'll be on the Gem next week.

Half the people had an amazing cruise. Were disappointed in missing a port but understood the reasoning. Made the best of the sea day. Thought NCL did a great job cleaning. Loved the food. Etc

Other half were like this review...worst...cruise...ever

Such drastically different experiences, on the same cruise...has to be the individuals

I've come to the conclusion that any cruise is what each person makes of it. I am not knocking the OP is unhappy, but amazing to find the drastic ends of the spectrum in reviews on this particular cruise. I just so happen to be reading them all since I'll be on the Gem next week.

Half the people had an amazing cruise. Were disappointed in missing a port but understood the reasoning. Made the best of the sea day. Thought NCL did a great job cleaning. Loved the food. Etc

Such drastically different experiences, on the same cruise...has to be the individuals

Lot of truth in this. Our last cruise on RCCL Explorer is a case in point. My wife and daughter loved it, but I was rather disappointed. Had we all written reviews they would have been ridiculously different and of no help to anyone trying to decide whether the ship was for them.

NCL seems to have been a lot more inconsistent these days and it tells when half the passengers enjoy the cruise and half don't. Of course people complain on here and that's not allowed any longer so they get chastized for it for not knowing about changes or whatever. If Del Rio is serious about taking NCL to the next level he definitely needs to work on NCL's consistency in all areas.

I totally agree with you. When I read what others say about service, sometimes I think you get what you give out. A smile and a kind word goes a long way. I see posts where folks complain about waiting in line for a drink, can't get a second appetizer, crew was rude, guest services line was too long when they went to complain or remove their DSC, etc. and some times I just shake my head and feel I must be on a different cruise line. Maybe there are just problems on the mega ships, which I won't cruise on as they are just too big for me.

On my last cruise in December on the Dawn and all my preceding cruises, the service was and has been outstanding. I've never waited more than a couple of minutes for a drink (and in some of the specialty restaurants, they brought me a drink before I asked for it, because I had been there previously on the cruise) or food. There was more than enough food, if I wouldn't have been able to get extras, I could have gone to another location. I've never walked down a hallway or past a staff member where I didn't get a smile and good morning, etc. On the Dawn, between my Butler, Room Steward and Concierge, these tremendous employees had been with NCL for 17 years for two of the staff members (they actually started on the same day) and 10 years for the other, showing that NCL attracts good employees and keeps them.

Things change; they've changed on Celebrity (the other line I cruise on) and prices go up, so it is happening to all cruise lines. As long as people will purchase cruises, pay the price of the drinks, pay the prices and the 18 percent gratuity on the SDP and UBP (none of these things I have an issue with), prices will continue to go up.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Does the Gem have different MDR menus than Getaway and Escape? Those are the only two NCL ships I've been on and the dinner menus definitely had different choices every night.

I could be wrong, but I thought the Gem adopted the new MDR menus when it came out of dry dock. Even if it did, the OP stated that he saw some of the same items each night, which is true of the new menus (the "classic favorites"). Personally, I'm a fan of the new menus - if that's what he had.

Edited by TheDougOut

I could be wrong, but I thought the Gem adopted the new MDR menus when it came out of dry dock. Even if it did, the OP stated that he saw some of the same items each night, which is true of the new menus (the "classic favorites"). Personally, I'm a fan of the new menus - if that's what he had.
I may be incorrect, since I've only eaten in the MDR a few times (usually eat in the specialty restaurants), but didn't the old menus also have the "classic favorites" that stay the same on every menu? I also thought that the other options are rotated on a weekly or so basis. Edited by NLH Arizona

I may be incorrect, since I've only eaten in the MDR a few times (usually eat in the specialty restaurants), but didn't the old menus also have the "classic favorites" that stay the same on every menu? I also thought that the other options are rotated on a weekly or so basis.

Yeah - I think you're right.

Yeah - I think you're right.
Then I'm confused, if the OP is Platinum wouldn't he/she know that there is always a portion of the menu that never changes?

I haven't cruised with the new menus yet, but I just might have to try the MDR because of the new offerings.

Drinks 13.00 dollars for a malibu n pineapple

There dinner menus are the almost the same everynight with afew different items changed then recycle 2 days later . TERRIBLE

I think the reason a lot of us get annoyed on here is because of statements like these.

A malibu and pineapple is not $13.00, even with service charge.

Also, so many people post the menus on here, and everyone can clearly see that they change nightly and are not recycled. Yes, there are always the 4 or so "classics" for the picky people who won't venture away from fried chicken or regular steak, but the majority of the menu changes.

The thing is, when people leave negative reviews of anything (not just cruises), their view is so negatively skewed. They don't remember everything exactly, causing them to exaggerate.

Clearly, the OP did not have an ideal cruise, and I'm sure is disappointed. It's just frustrating to see posts like this sometimes where other newbies could read it and go in blind with an already (and incorrectly) negative view.

That's all. Other than the fact that $8.00 room service is cheaper than most hotels kthxbye.

Then I'm confused, if the OP is Platinum wouldn't he/she know that there is always a portion of the menu that never changes?

Well, after re-reading his post (where are you, OP?), he never technically said "main dining room". Maybe he went to Cagney's every night, and was dissatisfied that the menu was the same each time. :)

I think unless the cruise was like those videos of the anthem out of nyc... a cruise is what you make of it.

If I based my future decision on cruising I'd never be back on ncl after my ncl epic cruise but 7 cruises later I'm glad I didn't jump ship. I'm still a fab of rccl but prices have kept me away (hoping to go back soon).

Any ways... op might have to do what others have suggested in the post... go ubp or sdp...

Or I'd be content on the buffet every night...but I'm easy that way. ..just happy to be cruising

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I totally agree with you. When I read what others say about service, sometimes I think you get what you give out. A smile and a kind word goes a long way. I see posts where folks complain about waiting in line for a drink, can't get a second appetizer, crew was rude, guest services line was too long when they went to complain or remove their DSC, etc. and some times I just shake my head and feel I must be on a different cruise line. Maybe there are just problems on the mega ships, which I won't cruise on as they are just too big for me.

On my last cruise in December on the Dawn and all my preceding cruises, the service was and has been outstanding. I've never waited more than a couple of minutes for a drink (and in some of the specialty restaurants, they brought me a drink before I asked for it, because I had been there previously on the cruise) or food. There was more than enough food, if I wouldn't have been able to get extras, I could have gone to another location. I've never walked down a hallway or past a staff member where I didn't get a smile and good morning, etc. On the Dawn, between my Butler, Room Steward and Concierge, these tremendous employees had been with NCL for 17 years for two of the staff members (they actually started on the same day) and 10 years for the other, showing that NCL attracts good employees and keeps them.

Things change; they've changed on Celebrity (the other line I cruise on) and prices go up, so it is happening to all cruise lines. As long as people will purchase cruises, pay the price of the drinks, pay the prices and the 18 percent gratuity on the SDP and UBP (none of these things I have an issue with), prices will continue to go up.

I feel the same way. I speak to all the cruise members when I pass by with at least a hello how are you today or have a great day? I will sometimes make small talk like are you going to port today? Speaking to people especially the crew members goes a long way. We have never had a bad experience with anyone on NCL.

We don't order room service because we eat as a family upstairs for breakfast, use the buffet for lunch because everyone is on their own schedule and we try to eat dinner together (depending on the teen club schedule).

I know people don't get why NCL keeps going up but it is happening on every cruise line. And I am sure it will continue.

wow so most of yous read my post and think oh habitual complainer wow . NO after 33 Cruise not hardly a complainer but can compare what I had it in the past to what it is now . Service now sucks food now barely edible . ,specaillty resturants not just surcharge anymore now they limit and nickel and dime you for more. Being compensated for missing a port was in the past, guess no more . So stop trying to act like were just complaining because we like too . I could have fun on the ss minnow . For those who doubt my truths check the menus nightly ,

It's hard to believe that someone who has been on Cruise Critic since 2005 wouldn't know the drink prices or a charge for room service.

sorry was on the pearl last march no charge for room service and THe same drink malibu and pineapple was 8.50 also

As a long time platinum ncl crusier I have to ask what happen to ncl . Just got off the gem march 12th sailing and it waslike I had book a dollar store cruise. Drinks 13.00 dollars for a malibu n pineapple , 8.00 for room service ,we had to miss st. martin do to many sick people and THEY give me a $ 9.76 return for missing a port WOw this for a cruise price of over 4 thousand dollars . I told them I can`t even afford your drinks at the price. So we loose 1 of our 3 n half stops and they compensate me $9.76 cents WOW Start taking my money to another cruise line or maybe resorts . There dinner menus are the almost the same everynight with afew different items changed then recycle 2 days later . TERRIBLE I remember ner seeing the same items for at least 7 days , the people on service agreed with me and told to call corporate they will listen to me because I`m platinum lol lol good luck with that they just don`t care ANYMORE so future cruisers beware not like those hyped commercials ANYMORE

I have never cruised NCL before, but have one planned for January. The $13 you paid for a drink seems pretty much the norm now days. I think I paid $14 for a cocktail on our last cruise. Our cruise on NCL came with an Uktimate Beverage Package and I am really looking forward to that, as the price of drinks on cruises having gone up so much in recent years.

And as one other person on this thread stated, a cruise is what you make it. Some people have a terrible time on a ship that other people rave about. Personally, I enjoy myself on ALL cruises, no matter what. Give me some sunshine (away from cold Buffalo, NY) and a cocktail, and I'm happy! 😎🌴🍷

I agree with you on the NCL Dawn. We took the Dawn out of New Orleans last year and it was our first cruise and we were blown away by the service and cleanliness of the ship. We enjoyed eating in the MDR every night and never felt like our options were limited. We had such a great experience on that cruise that we immediately booked our next one with NCL and leave out on the Jewel this time in 15 days!! :D:cool: