Getting Prepared

JusGetinStarted

I don't know the specific Belkin power thing people are referring to, but to me Belkin=computer=surge protected. DO NOT BRING ANYTHING SURGE PROTECTED!

http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf

If NOT seized, it could start a fire. Even not leaving it plugged in when you're not in the room is no good, because the fire is not apt to start IN your room but somewhere in the walls.

Yes, outlets are insufficient and poorly places -- buy a $10 (or less) indoor extension cord with multiple plugs.

http://www.amazon.com/Woods-608-8-Foot-Extension-Power/dp/B000HE6OL8

616HZmNgrzL._SL1368_.jpg

I have seen ones with the 2 outlets on one side, one on the other, for <$5 at the checkout line at the hardware store, but I couldn't find a pic on line of one! You don't want the latest wall-hugging model. I also bring a euro-to-US adapter to give one more outlet (sometimes I have to charge three batteries after a shore excursion!).

412qrOLqL6L.jpg

Only use the Euro plug for things that can take 220V, which is most electronics any more.

Edited by crystalspin

Check entry requirements everywhere you are going. Do you need a Visa or Reciprocity Fee paid before you board the ship.(You won't be allowed to board if it ain't paid) Be a minimalist and leave your phone at home or take the battery out. Find the ships phone # for emergencies. Buy a Katydyn water bottle and drink water from any faucet in the world. When we go ashore, we take 1 credit card, ship ID and a picture ID, lost mine once. Was not worth the hassle getting through customs in a foreign country. Buy shorts or cargo pants with velcro'd pockets. Pickpockets leave them alone. Carry stuff in a fannypack under your shirt. Don't wear white socks!

I like your topic "Getting Prepared". Being on vacation is about you having a peaceful state of mind. Take what makes you comfortable. When I am on vacation I'm about comfort and piece of mind so I have all of the things you listed and then some. Pack according to your needs.

Exploring the Island I carry a small backpack w/ a tiny lock.

* a small flat travel wallet. ID, medical card, emergency card (list my ailments, medications & dosage), 1 credit card and some cash.

* Passport

* copies of everything on a flash drive

* Water bottle

* Phone and charger

* Camera

* Snacks (gum)

I set an alarm on phone for when I want to return back to the ship. I set it according to hours and minutes.

For my luggage:

* Bright Luggage tags (for me are a must)

* Bright Bucky Identigrip Luggage Handle wrap

* Cruise Luggage tag holder with the steel rings

The luggage tag from the porter came off my suitcase. My son found my suitcase on the other side of the hallway. He spotted it because of my bright luggage tag and handle wrap.

Cabin

* Renuzit cones and air refresheners

* little travel speaker

* travel cleaning wipes

* medication

* mini lantern

I spray my room every time I leave. It such a refreshing feeling when I return. I wipe my own things down just for my own peace of mind. Please bring all necessary medication. Benadryl, Immodium AD, cold med and if you can a prescribed antibiotic. My niece got sick Bendrayl at home $4 on the cruise ship $13. Bring your suntan lotion and cream if your skin gets irritated.

Miscellaneous

* Ginger candy

* safety pins

* no heat mending tape

* flashlight

* a mini fan that hangs around the neck

* extra batteries

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

One correction to this. Do NOT use your cell phone to keep track of the time while in port. Your cell phone's clock may reset itself to whatever the local time is while in port. Wear a watch, and keep it set to ship's time. There have been more than a few passengers that have missed their ship because they relied on their cell phone's clock. :eek:

You can set your cell phone so it does not update. If you put it on airplane mode, it should not update regardless of the other settings.

DON

Those fancy packing lists for first time cruisers are lovely ... but not something to be followed like religion. Trust me. I felt like an idiot on my first cruise ... it was to Alaska ... and we wound up not needing a good deal of what I thought would be a necessity.

If you wouldn't take it on a regular ... e.g., non-cruise ... vacation then don't bother with it on a cruise. The lighter you pack, the freer you will feel. It might mean a load of laundry at some point during your vacation but that is SOP these days for many because of the bag restrictions the airlines have.

Wash delicates in the bathroom sink and hang them in the shower to drip dry. Spritz them with some wrinkle remover and you are good to go. Slacks can be lightweight cargo or rip-stop material and style and can be worn multiple times. Even if you are going to a cool location you can layer certain types of lightweight fabrics to be quite warm. Stuff like that I had to learn the hard way, feeling silly all along the way.

One correction to this. Do NOT use your cell phone to keep track of the time while in port. Your cell phone's clock may reset itself to whatever the local time is while in port. Wear a watch, and keep it set to ship's time. There have been more than a few passengers that have missed their ship because they relied on their cell phone's clock. :eek:

That is an excellent point.

I bring several 2 gallon plastic zip bags to put my wet bathing suit in if I change into dry clothes on the excursions. I also bring a highlighter to mark off items of interest in the ships daily newspaper. Have a great cruise!

This may be a dumb question but do we need to bring our passports off the ship with us? We aren't planning any water/beach excursions so that's not an issue.

Also why does everyone avoid against bringing or phones? Again we won't be doing anything with water and would probably want our phones to take pictures or video.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This may be a dumb question but do we need to bring our passports off the ship with us? ....would probably want our phones to take pictures or video.

You don't need your passports on the Caribbean islands, leave them in the safe in your cabin.

Use your phone as a camera, no problem. If you switch off the phone function, it won't receive data streams and rack up huge bills. (That's what I was told.)

I have a question about packing. I know there is a formal night. Do you guys take your formal clothing on clothes hangers and they deliver it with your luggage or do you pack it and have someone iron it?

I have a question about packing. I know there is a formal night. Do you guys take your formal clothing on clothes hangers and they deliver it with your luggage or do you pack it and have someone iron it?

We have a garment bag for formal clothes.

Wow you're all over the forums aren't you? lol. i was looking at this thread and like here you are again. hehe. So FYI, They don't allow irons in the rooms for obvious reasons so there's one available in the laundry room. but that's just it, there's only "one" and there are a few laundry rooms per floor.

Wow you're all over the forums aren't you? lol. i was looking at this thread and like here you are again. hehe. So FYI, They don't allow irons in the rooms for obvious reasons so there's one available in the laundry room. but that's just it, there's only "one" and there are a few laundry rooms per floor.

There are no self-serve laundries on Royal, all must be 'sent out' for pressing.

I am trying to convince myself that we don't need our over-the-door organizer this time around, but with a teen daughter comes makeup, hair ties, earrings, extra earring backs, the detangling spray, the curl mousse, the straightening spray, the face sunscreen, the body sunscreen, the flat iron, the curling iron... I'm exhausted. And heaven forbid any of it be left at home!

You can never be too prepared! 😀

Hey Guys,

So I am getting prepared for my family's first cruise in July and I just want to know a few things. What are some additional items I should be buying from Amazon or the local store (i.e. Target or kmart) that I will need. I have saved on my amazon account a few things already such as luggage tags, chair/towel clips, the Belkin utility plug everyone talks about, a waterproof phone case and water proof holder for money and cards. Is there anything else I should get? Also, when you get off of the ship at one of the islands what do you take with you? Do you fix up a bag with things in it or do you only take your money and wallet?

Thank You!

We always bring one of those shoe organizers with clear pockets to hang on the closet door. It keep all of our necessary items such as excursion tickets, sunscreen, hair ties, clips, etc readily available and in a neat and organized manner and it folds up easily. I'm all about anything that will save me space. Is it a "necessity" no, but is it a nice thing to have? ABSOLUTELY! :D

Happy Cruising!

• 4 weeks later...

I take the belkin on my cruises seems everyone has something to plug in and there's never enough outlets. Also make sure to take a highlighter comes in handy for the daily news. I also have the nice plastic cruise tags (OCD) they are just neater? I also have the towel clips not only holds your towel in place but cN identify your chair a little better. I think you have good planning happy cruising

The only reason I take my passport on closed loop US cruises if the chance of getting stranded at one of the ports and having to fly. I don't understand why people would leave their passport on the ship. Maybe they have never had any type of emergency happen but for me, I'd rather be safe than sorry and take it with me at all times.

I take a variety of things that will fit in my small vera bradley crossbody bag so not cumbersome at all. a small amount of meds, extra contacts, suncreen, etc.

Hey Guys,

So I am getting prepared for my family's first cruise in July and I just want to know a few things. What are some additional items I should be buying from Amazon or the local store (i.e. Target or kmart) that I will need. I have saved on my amazon account a few things already such as luggage tags, chair/towel clips, the Belkin utility plug everyone talks about, a waterproof phone case and water proof holder for money and cards. Is there anything else I should get? Also, when you get off of the ship at one of the islands what do you take with you? Do you fix up a bag with things in it or do you only take your money and wallet?

Thank You!

You will get list of millions of items, most (maybe even all) I've never taken and never missed.

But someone tells you an owner door organiser is a must have.

But hey whatever floats your boat.

If you take a camera larger than a pocket camera, you should also take a rain bag that fits your camera.

You never know when Mother Nature is going to surprise you with rain. I have carried mine on several cruises and not used it. And, have used it on other cruises.

Our last cruise we had 9 days of sunshine. The 10th day heavy rain and wind.

I watched people trying to hide their cameras under their coats and whip them out for a quick photo, then back under the coat. Me, I could take my time in framing the shot because the camera was in a clear plastic bag with a draw cord around the lens.

Bob