Getting Prepared

JusGetinStarted

Hey Guys,

So I am getting prepared for my family's first cruise in July and I just want to know a few things. What are some additional items I should be buying from Amazon or the local store (i.e. Target or kmart) that I will need. I have saved on my amazon account a few things already such as luggage tags, chair/towel clips, the Belkin utility plug everyone talks about, a waterproof phone case and water proof holder for money and cards. Is there anything else I should get? Also, when you get off of the ship at one of the islands what do you take with you? Do you fix up a bag with things in it or do you only take your money and wallet?

Thank You!

Leave your wallet in your safe on the ship and take some money, one credit card and the ship card in your water proof case. Bring your phone only if you use it as a camera. Sometimes you need a picture id to get back into the fenced off port area.

Depending on the port, you need a sunhat, sun screen, a bag for your towel. I hate a wet bathing suit for the return to the ship, so I change and put on the dry undies I have in my bag.

Have fun!

We don't bring anything on a cruise that we wouldn't bring on ANY vacation.... I've never needed waterproof anything...or clips or luggage tag holders.....

The porters have REAL luggage tags when you drop your bags!

You'll probably want some type of battery operated light to use in the bathroom as a night light. We bring a tap light, but I know others use a battery operated candle. There is an outlet in the bathroom, but it's connected to the light switch. When you turn off the bathroom light, you'll also turn off the outlet.

Honestly, you can use a small zipper baggie for cards, cash, and ID. Put it in a zippered pocket of your swim suit and you are good to go. Cost? 1 cent, probably. :)

We never needed luggage tag holders. You can get them at the pier from a porter who will write your cabin number on it, or you can make your own when you print out your e-docs. Print out the page for luggage tags, put some clear packing tape over them so they are good and sturdy, fold them over and staple them your morning of your cruise. Cost? 1 cent, probably. :)

I do like to bring a couple of magnetic clips. Good for hanging the daily happenings and such. Keeps the desktop free.

Also, a small bungee cord. If you have empty hangers in the closet, they can clank together in the middle of the night. We bungee the empties together.

Oh, one of those 99 cent air freshener you can toss at the end for the bathroom.

I never use cosmetic cases or makeup bags. Just put stuff in small ziplock bags

Bring several empties of each size. Great for wet bathing suits,etc

If flying in, don't forget to put just five small containers of liquids in your carry-on. Rest in packed luggage in those ziplock bags so the suntan lotion doesn't expand and break the seal and leak all over!

Hi-liter to mark the daily schedule for activities you don't want to miss

Never needed do plugs, over door bags. I do use lanyards to hold my cruise card. Why not?

I have read the power strip is a near necessity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For some, it is. There is one 110volt outlet and one 220 volt outlet (European style) above the vanity. If you have multiple items that need to be recharged, you'll need a power strip to plug in all of those devices. It must be in good condition, and cannot have a surge protector. Surge protectors are not allowed.

Make sure you have a watch or use your phone for telling time. The last thing you want to have happen during your cruise is to lose track of the time and then miss the ship. They will NOT wait for you (unless you are on a ship-sponsored tour and even then you don't want to keep your fellow passengers waiting).

A fold-up hamper is nice to bring along to hold your dirty clothes. I usually bring two or three of those really big plastic zip bags to separate socks and undies from shirts and then toss those in the hamper. Keeps everything nicely organized until they have the laundry special onboard later in the cruise.

Make sure you have a watch or use your phone for telling time. The last thing you want to have happen during your cruise is to lose track of the time and then miss the ship. They will NOT wait for you (unless you are on a ship-sponsored tour and even then you don't want to keep your fellow passengers waiting).

A fold-up hamper is nice to bring along to hold your dirty clothes. I usually bring two or three of those really big plastic zip bags to separate socks and undies from shirts and then toss those in the hamper. Keeps everything nicely organized until they have the laundry special onboard later in the cruise.

One correction to this. Do NOT use your cell phone to keep track of the time while in port. Your cell phone's clock may reset itself to whatever the local time is while in port. Wear a watch, and keep it set to ship's time. There have been more than a few passengers that have missed their ship because they relied on their cell phone's clock. :eek:

One correction to this. Do NOT use your cell phone to keep track of the time while in port. Your cell phone's clock may reset itself to whatever the local time is while in port. Wear a watch, and keep it set to ship's time. There have been more than a few passengers that have missed their ship because they relied on their cell phone's clock. :eek:

Good advice - if you are on a ship that keeps ship time. I think Carnival does it. The lines I have sailed on go with port time. Find out before you go.

We don't bring anything on a cruise that we wouldn't bring on ANY vacation.... I've never needed waterproof anything...or clips or luggage tag holders.....

The porters have REAL luggage tags when you drop your bags!

We have used a waterproof holder for ID, cards and cash everytime we cruise to somewhere warm. Perhaps you don't go in the water, so you don't need anything waterproof?

Agree- a cheap waterproof watch is worth its weight in gold to us.

I turn off automatic time setting on my cell phone as soon as I get on the ship.

Out of everything on your list, I think the Belkin power strip is the most important! Then again, I bought one for our cruise in 2011 and have since bought 3 more we use around the house cause we are a really electronic focused family and all those USB charge ports!!!

A watch is a very good thing to have. Personally I would normally never take my phone off the ship, but will be taking either my DH's or DS's with us in Bermuda because 1: T-Mobile has free data/texts in Bermuda and 2: We are doing it all on our own and well easier than buying a portable GPS and I can pull up bus/ferry schedules.

If you have the funds and plan on doing a lot of beaches and water stuff I would look into a less expensive water proof camera. I would rather lose or have stolen a $200 or less camera any day than take the chance on a $600+ cell phone IMO.

This cruise since we are basically doing a backpack-it Bermuda, I have also invested in light weight micro fiber towel sets for beaches. Yes, you CAN take the cruise ship towels off the ship. If you do, be prepared to bring a rather large bag if you have 3+ people as they are big and bulky! For <$20 on Amazon there are some really nice micofiber towel sets. They weight next to nothing (I got sets one of 2 towels, 1 hand towel size, 1 70 inches long) and they weigh 10 ounces for the both of them and fold up to smaller than a cell phone when dry.

Just another word of caution though! Test the water proof case you get for a phone many many times before you put your phone in it! Make sure you know the instructions backwards and forwards before putting your phone in. You can see many times on reviews how the case has split or leaked and destroyed someones phone. Also I would suggest getting something that will work as a 2nd clip on it, even if it is just a small clip you can use because most of the cords on them are pretty flimsy.

I also use a waterproof case for money, ID, ship card for when I get off the ship, if I will be swimming in the ocean. I also love having an over the door shoe holder, which I put on the outside of the bathroom door in the cabin. I use it to keep things organized in the room, so it is easy to find and not cluttering up the counter space. I put camera batteries, memory cards, cameras, sunglasses, sunscreen, hair elastics, hair brush, lysol wipes, ipod, headphones, etc. there. I think the chair clips are a good idea to hold your towel up on your chair on deck or at a port.