Two forms of ID to cruise.

DennyCakes

When I booked my cruise the PVP told me I would need two different forms of ID on embarkation day. I've cruised before and I've only ever used my passport. I was just curious if this is a new rule that is being enforced or not? My State ID is expired and I'm not sure I'll have enough time to get a new one before my cruise if this is that case. I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks so much.

Ditto. I've never had to show more than my passport as my ID when checking in. Is this a closed loop cruise whereby one might use their birth certificate and driver's license as ID?

When I booked my cruise the PVP told me I would need two different forms of ID on embarkation day. I've cruised before and I've only ever used my passport. I was just curious if this is a new rule that is being enforced or not? My State ID is expired and I'm not sure I'll have enough time to get a new one before my cruise if this is that case. I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks so much.

Another reason to use a real TA.

Passport for check in

DL/ID for getting into the port area. Some ports ask to see ID, others do not.

Apply for your new ID. Your old one should be fine for port as they just confirm your name. Wouldn't work as ID w/BC at embark.

Edited by SadieN

Passport trumps everything and it's all you need for boarding. As stated some ports may require a photo ID in order to re-enter the port area. You may use your passport for that also but I think your state ID would still do the trick for that.

Passport for check in

DL/ID for getting into the port area. Some ports ask to see ID, others do not.

Apply for your new ID. Your old one should be fine for port as they just confirm your name. Wouldn't work as ID w/BC at embark.

Passport is fine for getting into the port area.

Passport is fine for getting into the port area.

Except for those of us who prefer to leave it in the safe unless explicitly required by the local authorities! I use my DL for getting back into the port. YMMV :)

Passport is fine everywhere!

Since I don't like to take it ashore in the Caribbean, I bring my driver's license in case the port requires a picture id in addition to the ship card to get back into the fenced-in port area. Most of the time, the ship card is sufficient since my elderly self looks like it belongs on a cruise ship and not on the island.

We use our passports when we check-in, but as always we are over-kill and I have the embossed birth certificates and a copy of passports in my purse. Not that the copies are good for anything but a piece of paper but.......

Oh well, its what I do.

Safe travels.

Said TA might have been thinking birth certificate plus state ID with photo, for someone without a passport.

However, a passport trumps the need for either or both of those, unless you don't carry your passport ashore, in which case you do need some form of photo id.

Upon re-boarding in ports, I've never experienced anyone looking closely enough that they could notice the expiration date of the ID - passport or otherwise, just that the name matches the cruise card and the photo matches the face. (A cursory glance, at best). Of course, there's a first time for everything...

Edited by srlafleur

A passport fulfills the requirements of two other forms of ID, because it proves both residency and citizenship. For a closed-loop cruise originating in (and returning to) the US, you can get away with a driver's license, but you will always need your SeaPass for disembarking and returning from port.

I recently changed my name, and didn't have time to fix my passport before my Eastern Caribbean cruise from FLL. I was nervous that I would have trouble, even though everything I had read said a driver's license would be enough, so I brought my court order, passport with the wrong name, and birth certificate. I honestly don't recall if I had to show my birth certificate at check-in or not, but I probably did. Needless to say, I sent away for my corrected passport as soon as I got home.

I also live in NH, which is one of the states that is considered "non-compliant" with regard to establishing citizenship or residency, so having a valid passport will likely prove to be essential. If you have a valid passport, I wouldn't worry about it one bit.

Another reason to use a real TA.

I don't think it has to do with a TA. on HAL, they always say to bring two ID's. On most overseas trips they hold our passports (this does vary) and they also say to take another ID with you ashore like a drivers license. We have never been asked to show the DL but we typically bring it just in case.

A lot of US citizens do not have passports so the PVP might have thought you were one of them

If you do not have a passport you need 2 forms of I.D.

Call them back ask if a passport will do

A lot of US citizens do not have passports so the PVP might have thought you were one of them

If you do not have a passport you need 2 forms of I.D.

Call them back ask if a passport will do

Not quite, if you don't have a passport you need a government issued photo ID to prove identity and a birth certificate to prove citizenship. The birth cert does not serve as proof of identity (at least for US citizens on closed loop cruises).

A passport fulfills the requirements of two other forms of ID, because it proves both residency and citizenship. For a closed-loop cruise originating in (and returning to) the US, you can get away with a driver's license, but you will always need your SeaPass for disembarking and returning from port.

I recently changed my name, and didn't have time to fix my passport before my Eastern Caribbean cruise from FLL. I was nervous that I would have trouble, even though everything I had read said a driver's license would be enough, so I brought my court order, passport with the wrong name, and birth certificate. I honestly don't recall if I had to show my birth certificate at check-in or not, but I probably did. Needless to say, I sent away for my corrected passport as soon as I got home.

I also live in NH, which is one of the states that is considered "non-compliant" with regard to establishing citizenship or residency, so having a valid passport will likely prove to be essential. If you have a valid passport, I wouldn't worry about it one bit.

There's nothing in my US passport that gives any indication of my residency, only my citizenship.

There's nothing in my US passport that gives any indication of my residency, only my citizenship.

No need for proof of residency. Americans live all over the world and are still citizens of the USA. Citizenship is proven by the passport. I must be the 100th poster repeating this simple fact.