FAA grounded all flights to Florida missed cruise

You were lucky on your other cruises going without insurance. You rolled the dice one time too many.

I had a friend drown on an excursion while on a cruise in January. Luckily they bought insurance.

When we cruised out of Alaska an accident shut down Seward highway. I believe maybe 600-800 people would have missed the ship had we left on time, so we waited. Because of the delay, everyone on the ship missed Hubbard Glacier. But it was the correct decision.

Radiance this past summer? I was on that sailing too (or there was another one that happened this past July). The reason they waited was because the 800ish people the captan mentioned were on RCCL transportation between Anchorage and Seward. They got as many as they could onto the train, making it standing room only, but there were still RCCL-chartered busses on the road as well as holding in Anchorage until the road was reopened.

There were other people on their own for transportation, most of whom lucked into the ship being held because their private transportation pulled in before the final RCCL-chartered bus. At Icy Straight Point, I met a couple whose private transportation vehicle pulled into the parking lot literally just in front of the last bus and made it by that slim of a margin - they said they realized how lucky they were and that had they missed the ship because of doing their own thing it would have been their fault.

If the majority of the alleged 1000 people had been on flights booked through Air2Sea, the ship might indeed have waited - but I suspect that if there were Air2Sea passengers, they were a minority - and since it appears the ship left port on time they either made it or BECAUSE they did Air2Sea and had the necessary documentation they will be meeting up with the ship ASAP.

...and no I do not think it is FAA fault and no I am not looking for refund, simply take the expenses out of my money for this trip and allow me to use remaining on another cruise. Come on that's reasonable!

You have evaded all questions posed to you..and have already been caught in one lie.

You guys, I think we are being played here! ;):rolleyes::p

I'm not buying what the airline told you. I live in So. Florida and THE WEATHER WAS FINE YESTERDAY!!!!!! We had some rain up north of us, near Orlando, but not in the southern part of the state. A cool front came in last night, but that wouldn't have affected a morning flight. I think the airlines lie when they have an issue with a plane, or crew, or something you can blame on them.

Better get out your Florida map. You have forgotten about north FL and the panandle. I know for a fact there was heavy rain and wind the entire length of I10 and extremely bad weather in Alabama and Georgia. DH was in airline business for 25 years and I have never heard of airlines lying about plane, crew or other issues. Easy to check on the weather on internet.

We allowed 3 days when sailing from Buenos Aires and due to airplane maintenace issues almost didn't make flight from Orlando to Miami and even though the So Am flight was in evening, there were no other flights from Orlando to Miami. Fortunately we arrived at MCO very early and were put on an earlier flight. Would never think of flying in the day of the cruise or driving in either. A recent thread on Celebrity had a horror story of couple missing cruise because of traffic delay and they allowed more than enough time, they thought. Never know when someone is unfortunate and has an accident and closes the road.

Number one... ALWAYS buy the insurance.

Number two... ALWAYS fly in the day before.

Sorry this happened to you. :(

Mostly agree...always buy insurance...unless you are prepared to stomach (without complaint) all the possible finanicial losses. For example, we always have health and evacuation insurance, because we do not want to be stuck with huge bills if one of us is ill or in an accident in another country. But Generally I am willing and able to absorb the loss if we must cancel a trip, so we use judgement with regard to cancellation insurance; rest assure, if/when I miss a trip, I will accept the loss without protesting verbally or on line. The OP is unhappy that he gambled and lost his cruise fare, yet that was likely not his greatest gamble. Had his party been in an accident abroad, they may have faced huge bills (and terrible emotional trauma) for international medical care, international stays, and delayed transit home (possible expensive specialized transit home for a ill/injured loved one)

I also generally fly in a day ahead. Once I flew same day for an inexpensive, last minute cruise; I was prepared to eat the cost if the flight was badly delayed or cancelled.

Having passports, as others mentioned, is another very important lesson.

I'm sure someone must have mentioned this but you will get back any prepaid expenses such as drink packages, specialty dining, shore excursions for example.

Also port fees and taxes will be refundable as well as prepaid gratuities. ;)

Edited by robtulipe

I've learned the hard way...had to cancel trip twice in past and while cruise excursions etc were refunded the flights and hotel were just lost...went ahead and bit the bullet this time around and bought insurance..if nothing else I have peace of mind

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Let's get this out there first, I did not take the cruise insurance, I have been on 7 cruises and never needed, not even close. Now after saying that my party of 7 was scheduled to fly out of Nashville yesterday to Ft Lauderdale to board the oasis of seas with a 4:30pm departure. At approximately 9am the FAA grounded all flights entering Florida airspace due to severe weather. After waiting 4 hours to take off it was clear we were going to miss cruise. I called RCI they said I could meet the ship but two passengers did not have valid passports, they then said we could transfer and book on the allure the next day but not enough rooms. I then stated we would simply rebook on the same ship with same itinerary on June 18th and it began, all departments, emergency, post cruise, and passenger relations said sorry we will be keeping your $11,000 and you will get nothing not even a free pina colada, have a nice day. There were over 1000 passengers that missed this boat yesterday. Someone please give me some recourse. Taking all suggestions. Thanks

I feel horrible for you, but know of no recourse.. Expensive lesson, but may I suggest, travel the day BEFORE the sail date. Gives you some extra leeway. Have you tried emailing Michael Bailey??

The credit card company is a good idea I spoke to them this morning, chase visa, interesting they too agreed thru slews of complaints over the years that the cruise industry had been taking advantage of its passengers for decades. I also agree that going down day before is good idea. However, Look at RCIs perspectus they made more than $4 million in profit from TI and no I do not think it is FAA fault and no I am not looking for refund, simply take the expenses out of my money for this trip and allow me to use remaining on another cruise. Come on that's reasonable!

How is it reasonable for all those that do purchase insurance? They pay extra just in case this type of thing happens. Why should you be rewarded for not purchasing travel insurance and receive the same benefits of someone that did.

Your passport information is incorrect. A new passport is good for 10 years for a person who is 16 and up. Minor passports are for those 15 and under.

I waited for my daughter's sixteenth birthday to renew her passport. It is good for 10 years and my husband didn't need to come with us. ;)

We have cruised multiple times and always buy the insurance. we have had to use it twice- Once because of a huge snowstorm here in the Northeast and on our last cruise we had boarded but not yet to our room when we found out a family member had passed away in a car accident and we had to go home. I just look at it as part of the cost of cruising. So my roughly $500 in insurance costs for the two times I have used it returned nearly $5000 to us in covered costs

Edited by CFD130

We were in the Charlotte airport yesterday and walked past a gate where the agent was announcing an extended delay on a flight to Ft Lauderdale. DH and I laughed and commented how that is why we ALWAYS fly in the day before a cruise!

Frankly, I'll be annoyed if the OP (if they are for real) gets to do what they are asking. If we plan properly, with passports, and with insurance.... if someone that fails to do so gets "bailed out" how is that fair to the rest of us?

Sorry OP, hope you learn a tough lesson here... why did you turn down the options they (graciously) provided? Seems like those that could have flown to meet the ship, and the others take the Allure? If you turned down feasible options, that is all on you.

Sorry you missed out on your cruise. I still wouldn't buy insurance either. It's basically for suckers. I self insure. You didn't "lose" money. You spent it at least 60-75 days ago. It was already gone. Unfortunate you didn't get to enjoy your vacation, but stuff happens. Sometimes life is good, sometimes it kicks you a little. But in the end, this is hardly a tragedy. I'm sure you'll enjoy your next vacation.

"Suckers"?? It came in quite handy, when my best friend became gravely ill, while on board. He was airlifted to the first medical center. Insurance paid for all of hit.. They missed 9 days of their 10 day cruise. I guess I will be a sucker, for every cruise I take.. Good luck with your philosophy....

i think we need a bit of sociological understanding here. Experienced cruisers tend to be a tad older than the newbies found on so many of the 4-6 day cruises. You have to remember these folks come from the "participation" trophy generation and have never had to really deal with adversity such as losing their entire fare. So they honestly believe that they are due a refund and other compensation for something they could well have avoided with better planning. So don't jump to harshly on them, remember many are just fragile snowflakes.

Also a fast web search does not reveal any blanket faa grounding of flights in any part of the us yesterday or any time recently.

well said!!

The credit card company is a good idea I spoke to them this morning, chase visa, interesting they too agreed thru slews of complaints over the years that the cruise industry had been taking advantage of its passengers for decades. I also agree that going down day before is good idea. However, Look at RCIs perspectus they made more than $4 million in profit from TI and no I do not think it is FAA fault and no I am not looking for refund, simply take the expenses out of my money for this trip and allow me to use remaining on another cruise. Come on that's reasonable!

Who is they? One person that you talked to that represents Chase? Of course that person agreed with you whether they believe it or not.

They wouldn't have made any profit if they gave back funds for cruises that weren't taken. If the lines did that, no one would not insurance.

If you paid for the vacation with the right Chase Card, you may be covered

Edited by SeaUs

Sorry you missed out on your cruise. I still wouldn't buy insurance either. It's basically for suckers. I self insure. You didn't "lose" money. You spent it at least 60-75 days ago. It was already gone. Unfortunate you didn't get to enjoy your vacation, but stuff happens. Sometimes life is good, sometimes it kicks you a little. But in the end, this is hardly a tragedy. I'm sure you'll enjoy your next vacation.

What about medical evacuation that could cost upwards of $75,000?

In Australia travel insurance covers medical as well as trip interruption, loss/damage to your luggage and similar incidents. So, your statement that medical coverage is a different issue is not universally true. If I buy insurance I'm covering all of those risks.

Agreed!

Plus Australian travel insurance tends to be most expensive for the USA because the medical costs are higher than elsewhere. Australians are constantly warned not to travel - especially to the US - without insurance. It is still reasonable value though - I've just purchased a multi-trip worldwide policy for my family of three which lasts until April 2017 and includes medical evac from cruise ships (or elsewhere) for $517

Edited by jenibor

I'm not sure where you are pricing your insurance but you ought to shop around. Insurance could be more expensive (depending on your age and the number of people you are insuring) but it is not "much" more than $150. And second, there are a lot of reasons why you could miss your cruise. A missed/delayed/canceled flight is only one of them.

And, its not just about missing your cruise on the front end. I could be medically related or missing the ship after a port ,etc...

You can board a plane leaving the US without a passport. Just need other accepted id. You can't come back by plane without one.

Ummm, no. Airlines won't let you on their planes. The amount of incorrect information on here is sometime mind boggling.