just love these "deals"

Rccl has been doing these bogus sales for about two years now. It always comes out to any other deals so there are really not many deals but just a different way of saying their everyday pricing. Started at about the same time as drink packages and dining packages. Also when bingo payoffs were changed and "tips" were adjusted. Does anybody else smell a CEO that is getting paid a huge bonus on "profit"

I booked a cruise last week and it is less now with the BOGO sale, can I cancel and rebook at the new rate?(it is a 2017 cruise not in penalty period)

im so confused.....cant you always just cancel and rebook before final payment? I thought you could do this on all cruise lines.

I keep watching specific cruises for decent prices, and have normally been able to grab a nice price. These past few months (since Q4 last year) have been different. I can't seem to see the same kinds of prices as I have.

For the first time in several years, I don't have a cruise booked.

However, I also watch All Inclusives and seeing those prices dropping for the nice resorts I'm following. 2017 may just be a cruise-less year for the first time in a while.

No sweat.. there will be someone booking the cabins, and filling the beds.

Unsavory tactics like this makes it hard to stay loyal to Royal. I'm more loyal to my wallet than anything else. I was planning to possibly book my next cruise while on the Allure later this month but I may wait and see what's available as far as last-minute deals next year, and perhaps look at what the other cruise lines are offering.

I re-priced our Alaska cruise this fall and the total price with the new promo (incl all the same things as original booking) is about $300 less. I am going to email our RCI planner and ask him to double check the numbers and cancel and re-book if my initial research is correct.

We booked our cruise last night and I checked it this morning. Went up $600 bucks!

Glad we booked last night!

It's pretty sad when we consider booking before a price increase a victory but that's the norm now. I repriced my October cruise and can get $223 worth of gratuities for a $300 price increase.

I re-priced our Alaska cruise this fall and the total price with the new promo (incl all the same things as original booking) is about $300 less. I am going to email our RCI planner and ask him to double check the numbers and cancel and re-book if my initial research is correct.

Quoting myself to say I contacted our planner and our cruise went UP almost $300. :rolleyes:

I just checked my pricing and the rep (Dot-very nice) told me that since I get a C&A discount for a balcony with my current reservation, that I am not eligible for the free gratuities...so my cruise now is actually quite a bit more expensive...

Rhapsody April 15 2017 out of Tampa.

I never knew you couldn't combine a promotion offer with a balcony discount for C&A membership...

If you do the math, the buy on get one half off is only a 25% total discount off a 2 person package. Not as good as 30% off each person. I don't know if actual prices before discounts went up, but this new deal is not as good overall.

If you do the math, the buy on get one half off is only a 25% total discount off a 2 person package. Not as good as 30% off each person. I don't know if actual prices before discounts went up, but this new deal is not as good overall.

On two cruises we have booked in a few months, the prices went up just enough to cover the "free" gratuities.

I repriced a cruise we're taking later this year and it went from $1799 (full price we paid previously) to $2490 (new full price). Doesn't seem like much of a sale to me :)

I think they jack all the prices to make it even out. I also wish they'd show the full price when looking and selecting instead of the average price. It's always confusing getting to the last screen and wondering why you didn't get the 50% off the second discount. I guess you kind of did. They just misrepresented the original price. So, it's not really 50% off the second it's really some other percent off of both fares added together divided by 2. That's really confusing.

Tom

On two cruises we have booked in a few months, the prices went up just enough to cover the "free" gratuities.

Just so sneaky to me. Are they gambling on the fact that "most" people don't check these things? I, for one, check the prices every morning.

Just so sneaky to me. Are they gambling on the fact that "most" people don't check these things? I, for one, check the prices every morning.

I don't think they care much about folks who check prices and are familiar with the endless fake sales. They are looking for the folks who are new to the cruise line and are not aware of the marketing ploys.

Edited by clarea

It's pretty sad when we consider booking before a price increase a victory but that's the norm now. I repriced my October cruise and can get $223 worth of gratuities for a $300 price increase.

I just checked my pricing and the rep (Dot-very nice) told me that since I get a C&A discount for a balcony with my current reservation, that I am not eligible for the free gratuities...so my cruise now is actually quite a bit more expensive...

Rhapsody April 15 2017 out of Tampa.

I never knew you couldn't combine a promotion offer with a balcony discount for C&A membership...

I just repriced mine on-line without signing in this time and for an additional $500 I get $232 in OBC that wasn't there when pricing while logged-in. My guess is the OBC is to cover the 'Free' gratuities and my original post was incorrect. :D

Edited by Big_G

We saved a LOT of money on our recent price drop. Are you guys saying pretty much that, what they do, is nothing but clever marketing tools by making everyone think they're getting a decent deal? If so, please explain it to me. We saved literally over $1200 in a price drop. I think that's pretty good.

To me it would be beneficial if I did not qualify for the C&A balcony discount as I would be eligible for the on board credit for such things as grats, specialty restaurant or drinks. For the Allure 4/1/18 cruise the $250 balcony discount vs. promo of $196. Doesn't seem fair as the top tiers do not benefit from these types of sales.

I don't think they care much about folks who check prices and are familiar with the endless fake sales. They are looking for the folks who are new to the cruise line and are not aware of the marketing ploys.

It sure seems that way Bob.

Rates for the Allure 11/27/16 last night = $1973 total per 2 people in BB.

Rates today are $2137 including the $100 off for C & A

Rates today if I was a first timer without the C & A discount is $2192 with $190 OBC for a net of $2002.

Seems like you would come out ahead with this sale being a first time cruiser on RCI than someone who has cruised with them before.

Bill

Quoting myself to say I contacted our planner and our cruise went UP almost $300. :rolleyes:

Probably because the OBC for pre-paid gratuities excludes Alaska (among other sailings).

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Promotions/Snapshot_of_Current_Offers.pdf

Yes, when it comes to their OBC offers vs balcony discount, Royal has been making you choose one or the other for some time now. This one seems especially unfair since the OBC they are offering on balconies is the same as for ocean views (slightly more for suites). Also, your balcony discount has the effect of reducing the BOGO amount for different promotions since Royal applies it first and then takes off the 30% (or whatever) from the remaining lower amount.

While it's good for new cruisers and gold C&A, for platinum and above it's kind of sad really when they give with one hand and take away with the other. But higher tier repeat cruisers are not Royal's targeted cruisers. :(

However, unless something just changed, you don't have to take the balcony discount but can opt for whatever gives you the better deal.

~ Judy

Edited by FloridaPalms

It sure seems that way Bob.

Rates for the Allure 11/27/16 last night = $1973 total per 2 people in BB.

Rates today are $2137 including the $100 off for C & A

Rates today if I was a first timer without the C & A discount is $2192 with $190 OBC for a net of $2002.

Seems like you would come out ahead with this sale being a first time cruiser on RCI than someone who has cruised with them before.

Bill

Appreciate the numbers Bill, and I agree with you.

I totally agree and there are enough of them that it will never change. I remember when they came out with the first BOGO sale. I had 3 cruises booked and while they did bump up the prices a little bit, it was a REAL sale and I saved a couple $1,000 on all 3. I will never see those prices again. :(:mad:

Edited by choozin' cruzin'

I totally agree and there are enough of them that it will never change. I remember when they came out with the first BOGO sale. I had 3 cruises booked and while they did bump up the prices a little bit' date=' it was a REAL sale and I saved a couple $1,000 on all 3. I will never see those prices again. :(:mad:[/quote']

Those were the good old days!!!!