Backpacks for travel

debandpat

Anyone have any ideas about a good travel backpack (lots of compartments and pockets) that can also be used as a carryon. Looking for something that would be easier to lug through the airports.

Edited by debandpat

I bought an oakley backpack at an oakley store. lots of compartments. Google oakley backpack pictures and you will see all the different ones.

I recently wanted a smaller one so went with the north face recon.

Rolling or no wheels? Small enough for everyday?

Look thru ebags.com and REI

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

Could also look in the school supply area of Target, Walmart, Staples etc.

Some of those are very nice. We like Jansport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have 2 18 inch Samsonite rolling backpacks with lots of compartments as well as a large interior compartment for folded clothes. We have had them about 5 yrs and they have been dragged all over Europe. I also used mine for business to carry my files etc daily on the LIRR and than all over the streets in NYC .and it still looks as good as it did when new. We love them!

Anyone have any ideas about a good travel backpack (lots of compartments and pockets) that can also be used as a carryon. Looking for something that would be easier to lug through the airports.

I bought a new Manfrotto Professional 50 Backpack on Saturday - it can cope with 2 dslr camera bodies, 4 lenses, about 6 USB/Phone Chargers and continental adapters (socket above my head in cabin bed looked like Frankenstein's power supply - chargers and adapters everywhere :eek:), 15 inch laptop, camera manual, chequebook, other sundry rubbish, paracetamol. memory cards, pens, paper etc AND takes a tripod on external security straps. It weighs a ton fully loaded, but that's the penalty of being an anal retentive - if there's room for one more camera filter (4 actually - I forgot about them!) or cable, or pair of socks or underwear, I'll pack it/them 'just in case'. There is a narrow sidepocket I haven't yet filled but I'll find something useful/useless.

The case performs like a rucksack, is built to protect delicate equipment, and, if you're not intent on packing an average camera shop to take on board, it has many decent sized compartments that can take toiletries, overnight kit etc.

A backpack is a very personal item. The last time I bought one, I brought everything that I thought I might want to travel to the store and spent several hours trying them out before I picked one. Since none of us know you or your needs, any information that we can give you is GIGO.

Regardless, make sure that you can return the backpack before you buy it.

DON

A backpack is a very personal item. The last time I bought one, I brought everything that I thought I might want to travel to the store and spent several hours trying them out before I picked one. Since none of us know you or your needs, any information that we can give you is GIGO.

Regardless, make sure that you can return the backpack before you buy it.

DON

Truth spoken there!!!

Osprey Meridian Convertible backpack has the best of both worlds: it's a wheeled bag, but it has backpack straps. I have the Osprey Sojourn Convertible, but it's 25", so not carryon. But, it's my go-go for trips where I'll be doing a lot of varying transportation modes and walking distances. I also have the Osprey Porter 45, but it's just over the allowable at 23". I'll admit I've taken that one when I know some 22" rollers aren't counting the wheels and space on the flights will be OK or I'm traveling via train. There IS a Porter 30 that is 21" tall. One thing about Osprey - lifetime warranty. I'm over 60 and I have no trouble using any of these bags. BUT, you have to try them on yourself to see if you fit them.

I am overwhelmed by the great responses. This is my first forum use and I'm really pleased. There were a few questions about use.

When cruising we take all the prescriptions, adapters, one outfit each, and extra underwear. A few extras (small camera, books) etc. These all go in our carry-ons. Last time we took an old backpack with us which was so easy to carry in the airport. So, we decided to look for good travel backpacks to use as carry-ons.

Pac Safe has some great travel backpacks and other travel gear.

My DD gave me this as a gift:

It really works well, and fits under your seat on the plane.

What does NOT work, is when one tries to pack the whole world into a small bag.:p

I can't say enough about my e-bags backpack. I bought it a few years ago for a carryon only trip to Italy. It has a lot of different pockets. Later I bought the matching rolling suitcase.I believe it is called the motherlode. That's a good place to shop, too, and they have good sales and frees shipping. You can also check them out on Amazon.

IMHO, The aforementioned Eagle Creek (Universal Traveler Backpack RFID) is too big.

Depends on what are the needs of the OP. Might be too big for a daypack but not big enough as luggage.

Edited by SadieN

When cruising we take all the prescriptions, adapters, one outfit each, and extra underwear. A few extras (small camera, books) etc. These all go in our carry-ons. Last time we took an old backpack with us which was so easy to carry in the airport. So, we decided to look for good travel backpacks to use as carry-ons.

You might want to get a backpack big enough to stick in a change of clothes or two in case your checked luggage doesn't make it on the plane (I speak from experience :() or the ship.

I use a backpack all the time -- I've found the best place to find one is (in Canada) MEC, and in US, look at REI (https://www.rei.com/c/hiking-backpacks?r=c&ir=category%3Ahiking-backpacks&page=1).....look for something about 40L-50L range for the maximum size that will fit in an overhead. I personally prefer a smaller 20L-25L size because I use it for traipsing around ports during the day, but that's an under-the-seat size, not an overhead size.

Eagle Creek also makes excellent quality bags, but you'll pay more for them.

IMHO, The aforementioned Eagle Creek (Universal Traveler Backpack RFID) is too big.

Since the OP's question was:

" travel backpack (lots of compartments and pockets) that can also be used as a carryon."

This is my carry on and it fits within the parameters of carry on bags.

It depends on how you travel too. :D

Our trips are primarily 2 or 3 months, so I am carrying my 15" laptop, iPad, iPad mini camera, chargers, headphones, and prescription meds, along with other stuff.

What sold me on this is the area where the computer stays is totally enclosed, and zips out to lay it flat on the conveyer belt.

Not for everyone, obviously, but I was answering a question. :)

I prefer a minimal pack with minimal pockets. I use a Deuter Act Trail 28. It's big enough for tablet / lap top / prescriptions / change of clothes / small valuables, and small enough that I can stuff it under the seat in front of me if I need to on the plane.

My DD gave me this as a gift:

It really works well, and fits under your seat on the plane.

What does NOT work, is when one tries to pack the whole world into a small bag.:p

I prefer a minimal pack with minimal pockets. I use a Deuter Act Trail 28. It's big enough for tablet / lap top / prescriptions / change of clothes / small valuables' date=' and small enough that I can stuff it under the seat in front of me if I need to on the plane.[/quote']

I'm with you :)

TMy old one started to disintegrate while on a cruise five years ago. It was inexpensive compared to some of the product I have seen in specialty stores at home.

I bought a replacement from a store in Naples. It was inexpensive. It had the compartments, straps, and padding that I wanted. I checked the stitching.

After five years of travel. Five months or more a year, it is still fine. Like new in fact.

I would never pay extra for a brand name. This is something that you can easily buy with a little due diligence.

Edited by iancal