Personal Items on Ship and at Ports, Protect from being Stolen or get Wet

tgloersen

Ok so we always need them with us right? I'm talking sail pass cards, money, yadah yadah yadah, and at the ports we need passports.

So I'm wondering what one does to protect these items, ok obviously having them in your pocket, but lets say you want to go to the pool or at a port and want to go in the water at the beach.

How does one protect these items from getting stolen or wet? Minus well throw cell phones into this question as well.

Many Thanks!

On the ship I usually bring a beach bag to the pool. I keep some money, sea pass, sunglasses, sunscreen and towel in the bag. I leave it on a lounge chair near the pool within eye shot of where I am swimming. I've never had a problem.

I pretty much do the same thing in ports but add a credit card to that mix. I have never taken my passport off the ship.

We bought a couple water-tight dry bags on amazon that we use in port. They were a little smaller than a sandwich bag but they held cash, seapass cards, reservation confirmations and stuff like that. It was small enough to fit into the zipper pocket of DH's swimsuit so he always had it on him. We took them cave tubing in Belize and to the beach in Cozumel and everything stayed dry. We did leave some small bills in our beach bag for easy tipping but not more than maybe 10 1 dollar bills. We never took our passport into port but the bag was large enough for it, if just barely. I don't think they more than $10 and we liked them.

Get a waterproof wallet/case for most of it. They sell them on board. I put my Sea Pass, driver's license, cash, and credit card in there and take it in the water. The rest (phones, etc. that won't fit) stays on land in a backpack, usually between or under the beach chairs with t-shirts and hats neatly piled on top. Then I keep an eye on it. It is still a risk, but I think a reasonable one. It would be pretty conspicuous to go through the stuff and tourist locations do not want to become known as places where tourists get robbed. Many of the locals will be on your side - they want to sell you overpriced cheap trinkets, drinks, entry fees, and food every year and you won't be back if somebody steals your stuff. Even worse, you'll tell your friends and post it on cruise critic.

DH has a water proof wallet and BIG swimsuit pockets, as long as the DH is safe we are safe:D

We also put our camera and some personal items in our lockable beach bag I think it is called a KYSS bag, that we lock to the chair on Labadee, yup you cannot open unless you know code.

Love it.

Safe travels.

I use my Pacsafe on every trip. It lays flat so can be on the bottom of a suitcase out of the way. When out and about I fold it over and put it in my backpack. If I go to the pool or beach, I take it out and put the backpack inside with all my valuables and lock it to a chair, table, etc.

It is also great to use in a cabin / hotel room to put extra items that won't fit in a safe.

http://www.amazon.com/Pacsafe-Travelsafe-Anti-Theft-Portable-Charcoal/dp/B00E8BK6KQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1459899370&sr=8-2&keywords=pacsafe+safe

Ok so we always need them with us right? I'm talking sail pass cards, money, yadah yadah yadah, and at the ports we need passports.

So I'm wondering what one does to protect these items, ok obviously having them in your pocket, but lets say you want to go to the pool or at a port and want to go in the water at the beach.

How does one protect these items from getting stolen or wet? Minus well throw cell phones into this question as well.

Many Thanks!

Consider getting a US Passport card. They are about the size of a waterproof card holder and functions as your passport. I'm getting one ASAP and will take it with me at the ports and leave my passport book in my room safe.

Your Seapass is waterproof as are credit cards. Money can get wet and dry out. We do have pouches to hang around our necks that we got from DH's company on one of the trips we used to get every year. They're nylon and plastic but not waterproof, but they do the job. We use them at the pool, beaches, etc.

Consider getting a US Passport card. They are about the size of a waterproof card holder and functions as your passport. I'm getting one ASAP and will take it with me at the ports and leave my passport book in my room safe.

We also have the passport card, though we know it's not quite the same as a passport booklet as it cannot be used to fly back to the US from outside the country.

I use my Pacsafe on every trip. It lays flat so can be on the bottom of a suitcase out of the way. When out and about I fold it over and put it in my backpack. If I go to the pool or beach, I take it out and put the backpack inside with all my valuables and lock it to a chair, table, etc.

It is also great to use in a cabin / hotel room to put extra items that won't fit in a safe.

http://www.amazon.com/Pacsafe-Travelsafe-Anti-Theft-Portable-Charcoal/dp/B00E8BK6KQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1459899370&sr=8-2&keywords=pacsafe+safe

Love my Pacsafe bags. With the mesh inside they can't be sliced open. Same with the straps.

We personally started using one of those drawstring waterproof bags with an inner zipper pocket and the clip closure for items needing safe keeping from hands and weather. We then put that bag in a larger backpack. So there's a few layers to get to if you want to get to the important stuff. If we were at a public beach we would also cover the bag with a towel so it's easy to tell if it's been or being messed with.

I see somebody already mentioned this, but the Kyss bag is AWESOME!! I have the smallest size which is plenty big and will fit all those basic items as well as a towel and a snorkel and goggles (but not fins). I didn't get mine delivered before I went on my cruise but I have it now and love it.

We also have the passport card, though we know it's not quite the same as a passport booklet as it cannot be used to fly back to the US from outside the country.

Thanks, Bob. I thought otherwise. I guess that if I got left behind, the ship would leave my passport book with the proper port authority, correct?

Thanks, Bob. I thought otherwise. I guess that if I got left behind, the ship would leave my passport book with the proper port authority, correct?

Yes, that's what I have read. They leave the passport with the port agent, who is always listed in the Cruise Compass.

I don't like to leave anything of value on the beach, so we always have these with us.

We use this to carry seapass, credit cards and money. Comes with a lanyard so we keep it hidden in our shirts. Easy to pull out to get things.

http://www.diversdirect.com/scuba-diving/diving-accessories/dry-bag-dry-box/skinny-dry-case

These are good if you want to go in the water and protect your phone and other small items. These are waterproof, but only to a few feet deep. A lot of the bags/cases are water resistant and not waterproof. Make sure you get the one you want.

http://www.diversdirect.com/scuba-diving/pelican-model-1050-mini-dry-box