Please educate me on coffees!!

Nancy48

Hi, so I have led a sheltered life and have just never explored the world of coffee. I drink mine black and not too strong, usually instant, but occasionally from a cafetière! That's it. But all of a sudden I am reading these forums, well ok, lurking in these forums mostly, trying to learn as much as possible to make our cruise on Constellation in June as good as possible, and people are talking about the coffees at cafe el bacio. As we have a classic drinks package on this cruise I guess we can try them out. But as I haven't a clue what it is all about I would really appreciate it if some kind person could give me a bit of an overview of what there is available. So I won't look like a complete idiot.

By the way I do know what cappuccinos are, but as there is milk in them I very rarely have one.

Many thanks,

Nancy

Hi, so I have led a sheltered life and have just never explored the world of coffee. I drink mine black and not too strong, usually instant, but occasionally from a cafetière! That's it. But all of a sudden I am reading these forums, well ok, lurking in these forums mostly, trying to learn as much as possible to make our cruise on Constellation in June as good as possible, and people are talking about the coffees at cafe el bacio. As we have a classic drinks package on this cruise I guess we can try them out. But as I haven't a clue what it is all about I would really appreciate it if some kind person could give me a bit of an overview of what there is available. So I won't look like a complete idiot.

By the way I do know what cappuccinos are, but as there is milk in them I very rarely have one.

Many thanks,

Nancy

You can get regular coffee, black in the buffet 24/7 and in several other locations like Solarium with limited hours. Cafe al bacio has specialty coffees such as Capacchinos and some coffees with alcohol added. Some of these are quite tasty, might be fun to try one such as something with chocolate.

The coffee in Café al Bacio is better than regular coffee. We do not like what is passed off as coffee however were more than happy with a long black from there. It comes with a crema and actually tastes like coffee.

Latte is 1/3 espresso, 1/3 hot milk and 1/3 foamed milk.

Cappuccino is 1/3 espresso, approx. 2/3 hot milk and topped off with a layer of foamed milk

Macchiato is 1/3 espresso and topped off with a layer of foamed milk

Americano is 2 shots espresso with hot water

For what you like (black coffee) I would recommend a single shot Americano (so only 1 portion of espresso and the rest of the cup filled with hot water). You could also have a flavour shot added to this if you want vanilla, hazelnut, caramel, etc.

At this link is a Café Al Bacio menu from last year

http://www.thepreismans.com/equinox_ta_menus.htm#albacio

Edited by meatloafsfan

Wow these forums are just wonderful, ask a question and you get people immediately helping. Thank you all so much. And meatloafsfan (yes I am too) that was particularly helpful, exactly what I needed, and that link has already got me excited about the possibilities. A whole new world appears to be opening up before my eyes😄. And I am from Scarborough North Yorkshire, so thanks to a fellow Scarborian.

Many thanks once more

Nancy

I'm a bit of a coffee addict :eek: We have a Breville espresso machine at home that gets entirely too much use. My neighbors probably think I'm running a Starbucks out of the kitchen!

Here's a chart that shows the basics of espresso components of based drinks:

http://www.bagofnothing.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/expressodirnk.jpg

Unfortunately if you can't or don't drink milk, your options are going to be pretty limited. You can order with almond milk, rice, coconut or soy if they have it available but they don't froth all that well, especially the soy and rice. I would just ask the barista for something they recommend. Sometimes they will make something creative that isn't all that bad.

does the classic package include the gelato as well as the speciality coffees in el bacio?

No, but you do get 1 free scoop if you're a Captain's Club member (voucher is on the strip left in your cabin on arrival) ;).

There's a coffee served at al Bacio called Affogato...... it has as scoop of ice cream in it.... totally delicious!!! I have Cafe al Bacio menus.... do you want me to post them? Alternatively they're in my blog in my sig below....

DSCN8022.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Is the Affogato on the Classic package?

Are the drinks with alcohol only available with the Premium Package?

My favorite drinks are the Decafe Caramel Macchiato and the Hot Chocolate. DH loves the HC. Café al Bacio makes the best ever!

On Oceania, their HC , from their specialty coffee area, was hot water and half a packet of HC mix. Discussing! One morning for room service, after experiencing the hot water and packet, I ordered the hot chocolate for 2 persons with hot milk. They sent two carafes of hot milk and one packet of HC mix. :eek::rolleyes:

Edited by Iamthesea

Also interested in what's included at the Cafe if you have the Classic package. Any of the alcohol options? What about the iced coffees?

First Celebrity sailing in May (Diamond on RCI), so I'm excited about all these new options!

Is the Affogato on the Classic package?

Are the drinks with alcohol only available with the Premium Package?

My favorite drinks are the Decafe Caramel Macchiato and the Hot Chocolate. DH loves the HC. Café al Bacio makes the best ever!

On Oceania, their HC , from their specialty coffee area, was hot water and half a packet of HC mix. Discussing! One morning for room service, after experiencing the hot water and packet, I ordered the hot chocolate for 2 persons with hot milk. They sent two carafes of hot milk and one packet of HC mix. :eek::rolleyes:

We had alcoholic coffees with the classic package. Don't know about the Affogato. Never tried one....

There is also an Iced Coffee Frappe which they make with vanilla or chocolate which was very good yesterday coming back from a very toasty St Maarten! [emoji4] best thing to do is go there & try them!

On the Eclipse two-week cruise, Il Bacio had a different specialty coffee every day. Most contained some form of alcohol, though not all. The coffee of the day along with the ship's drink of the day in the ship's daily schecule.

Also the coffee served in the MDR and Tuscany is LaVazza. The name is even written on some of the coffee cups.

Thanks for starting this discussion. Upscale coffee drinks are a mystery to us also. We have the classic package on our April 23rd cruise and I really looking forward to the coffee part of that package. The posters here have added to my anticipation and knowledge.

Yes I must say this has opened up a whole new world for me and I too cannot wait to try out some of these beverages. The drinks package certainly makes it easy to do and I am now counting the days. Thanks again everyone for contributing.

Nancy

Try the Cafe Mocha with a shot of Baileys...I had one every morning on Eclipse. It is coffee and hot chocolate mixed together. You can get it without the Baileys as well. I upgraded to Premium package , so not sure if its on Classic.

We love the Aspen Coffee...sorry I don't recall the various alcohol in it...great after dinner or late afternoon.

In general we dislike the regular coffee served on Celeb. Must be the brand...sometimes tolerable if freshly made.

Try the Cafe Mocha with a shot of Baileys...I had one every morning on Eclipse. It is coffee and hot chocolate mixed together. You can get it without the Baileys as well. I upgraded to Premium package , so not sure if its on Classic.

I'll have to tell DH about this. He loves Bailey's and has one after dinner every night on the cruise. Although he could get it on ice in the dining room, I am not sure it is included in the Classic at Café al Bacio.