Equinox Aqua Class Blu

ibxcruiser

We have friends who have recently returned from the 10n Equinox Caribbean w/overnight in St. Maarten. They booked onboard for next year. They raved about Blu, citing dine when you wish (no "seating" like MDR), and unlimited drinks (beer/wine/spirits) as well as the menus. We are considering this for '17, but I can't find menus anywhere, or the unlimited beer/wine/spirits, or "anytime" seating. We ordinarily book in CC, and would happily join them in AQ if what they say is true, but I'd like some validation before doing that.

Blu is anytime seating. Beverages work the same as in the main dining room; alcohol is only included if you have a package. Most find the ambiance nicer in Blu; more quiet and intimate - more of a restaurant feel than banquet hall feel. Most find the food a bit of a step up as well from the main dining room, but not as good as the specialty restaurants in terms of quality. If the price between Aqua a regular balcony is not very discrepant, worth upgrading for IMHO. Personally I don't find any of the Concierge Class perks that useful/meaningful, so if booking a balcony stateroom I generally either seek a regular category one that has a larger than normal balcony, or Aqua if not too much more money.

We have been on the Equinox five times with four of those cruises in an Aqua stateroom. It is one of our favorite ships.

From its very inception Blu has been "select" or anytime dining. The Blu seating hosts will not make reservations. We were last on the Equinox in October 2015 and a large group was trying to make reservations in Blu and the seating hostess refused.

The Blu menus have been tweaked through the years but any menus you find from a simple search on Cruise Critic will provide the information you are seeking. Just be aware that some recent posters are reporting that the muesli prepared tableside is no longer available (it was still offered last October).

Just be aware that some recent posters are reporting that the muesli prepared tableside is no longer available (it was still offered last October).

I can confirm this. I am just off the same 10 day Equinox cruise staying in Aqua. Table side muesli is no more, courtesy of US Public health regulations eliminating serving food from uncovered dishes in a carpeted area. Of course those rules don't apply to Murano or Tuscan Grille, where food is prepared table side in a carpeted restaurant.

Anyway, my next few cruises are in Aqua but I'm done with Aqua after that. The large price difference between std veranda and Aqua on the latest cruises is not worth it. You can eat in a specialty restaurant every night for less than what it costs to book Aqua.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Muesli isn't table side but you can still order oatmeal or whatever hot cereal you want, and ask for all the items separately. They can even just bring them to the table in little bowls and you mix it yourself.

I don't like hot cereal personally, but I like to get a bowl of granola, and a small bowl of yogurt and a small bowl of fresh raspberries, blueberries and strawberries and mix it myself. That's not a menu item but they have brought that to me in Blu for breakfast on several ships probably 40 times. Luminae will do the same.

That's the thing about the two alternate main dining rooms (Blu and Luminae). They serve a MUCH smaller group of people so they can customize and work with individuals' preferences. We find that worth a great deal more so we always sail in AQ or suites.

Beverages aren't free in any dining venue - unless you have a beverage package.

For the benefit of the OP, Blu is very cozy (almost too cozy to some) with most of the tables being two tops and spaced quite close together. That being said, it is also quite intimate in that the hostess and wait staff will get to know you and your preferences immediately.

Many are talking about the breakfast side of Blu. True, the cereal cart is no longer available. But breakfast in Blu is soooo much better than the buffet, IMHO. I've never even been to Elite breakfast because we always sail AQ.

Also, don't forget unlimited access to the PG and the much overlooked relaxation room.

We prefer a forward cabin w/o the overhang. Try 1540. It's under the salon and very quiet, and still far enough away from the window washer to have an unobstructed view.

We were in a suite on eclipse and decided to try blu. We found it very noisy and did not like the fact the tables were so close together that you were privy to every conversation. Food was good but ambiance not to our liking. We preferred the ambiance in luminae

For the benefit of the OP, Blu is very cozy (almost too cozy to some) with most of the tables being two tops and spaced quite close together. That being said, it is also quite intimate in that the hostess and wait staff will get to know you and your preferences immediately.

Many are talking about the breakfast side of Blu. True, the cereal cart is no longer available. But breakfast in Blu is soooo much better than the buffet, IMHO. I've never even been to Elite breakfast because we always sail AQ.

Also, don't forget unlimited access to the PG and the much overlooked relaxation room.

We prefer a forward cabin w/o the overhang. Try 1540. It's under the salon and very quiet, and still far enough away from the window washer to have an unobstructed view.

We're in 1542 on the Equinox..it was a cruise we booked onboard and there wasn't a lot of choice. The balcony looks larger but I'm wondering if we will get any sun. When we can book Aqua for less than Concierge, I'll grab it every time. We love Blu for more than just one reason. The staff, the anytime dining, the two tops and yet close enough if you choose to converse with others and the peaceful dining are just a few reasons. The muesli....no problem. Not a big deal. I love the pancakes loaded with butter and syrup....yum, yum.

The kne comment I will make, regardless if anyone agrees with me, is we did MDR on the Silllhouete, is that it was the worst dining experience we have ever had in our lives. We were packed in like sardines and tinware so loud, wpws could vpbarely hear our waiter. No thanks. The buffet probably would hvebeen better..or room service.

Interesting we were in Blu 3 weeks ago on the Solstice and had muesli made about 5 ft from us- too crowded to get the cart next to the table.

I imagine that the policy is selectively enforced even though the hotel mgr's explanation to us was that it was fleet-wide.

I should add that this didn't really diminish our cruise in any way. It was a great cruise. If I were to book Aqua again on an S-class, the only change I would make is to avoid the A1 cabins located under the pool deck. While those large balconies on the slant of the hump may seem great, the size advantage is more than negated by the noise from the pool deck above you have to put up with at all hours of the day. I was in 1606 on Equinox.

We are HUGE Blu fans. The drink service is amazing. We had a drinks package, and it was so easy. Cruising with a friend with dietary restrictions, the waitstaff went out of their way to accommodate him. And breakfasts, so much easier than the buffet. I think you can find the menus on Cruise Critic. DH and I have made the curried chicken salad as that is one of his all time favorites.

The other Aqua perks are great, too. I'd suggest you give it a try.

Ohiodoglover

I imagine that the policy is selectively enforced even though the hotel mgr's explanation to us was that it was fleet-wide.

I should add that this didn't really diminish our cruise in any way. It was a great cruise. If I were to book Aqua again on an S-class, the only change I would make is to avoid the A1 cabins located under the pool deck. While those large balconies on the slant of the hump may seem great, the size advantage is more than negated by the noise from the pool deck above you have to put up with at all hours of the day. I was in 1606 on Equinox.

I'm going to check the deck plan....I hope we're not under the pool.

I'm going to check the deck plan....I hope we're not under the pool.

Hi, don't worry, you're not under the pool, but there is a service hall way across from your cabin ( I've been in 1535 on the opposite side) so you will hear the staff coming in & out with carts, not big deal, in my experience)

Also, honestly, I've had the cabins under the pool area multiple times (1608, 1606) & never had any noise issues except a bit in the early morning when they are moving the deck chairs back... & even that was not a big deal. Sitting on the balcony during the day, couldn't hear noise from the pool deck.

Edited by cruise kitty

We're in 1542 on the Equinox..it was a cruise we booked onboard and there wasn't a lot of choice. The balcony looks larger but I'm wondering if we will get any sun. When we can book Aqua for less than Concierge, I'll grab it every time. We love Blu for more than just one reason. The staff, the anytime dining, the two tops and yet close enough if you choose to converse with others and the peaceful dining are just a few reasons. The muesli....no problem. Not a big deal. I love the pancakes loaded with butter and syrup....yum, yum.

The kne comment I will make, regardless if anyone agrees with me, is we did MDR on the Silllhouete, is that it was the worst dining experience we have ever had in our lives. We were packed in like sardines and tinware so loud, wpws could vpbarely hear our waiter. No thanks. The buffet probably would hvebeen better..or room service.

1542 will also be very quiet. No pool deck above you. You will have the bed closer to the bathroom and the sofa near the balcony. The bed will be on the right side wall as you enter. The balcony is a standard size. Should you prefer, you can ask your steward for shrimp cocktail each night in lew of the canapes. Right down the hall will be the spiral staircase to the gym if you'd rather take it than the main stairs. You will have close access to the forward elevators, but noise has never been a problem for us. The one draw back, if you want to call it that, is going down to deck five on the forward lifts then having to walk all the way aft to get to Blu. We enjoy it for the people watching (and a stop at the world bar or martini bar on 4) so enjoy!!

1542 will also be very quiet. No pool deck above you. You will have the bed closer to the bathroom and the sofa near the balcony. The bed will be on the right side wall as you enter. The balcony is a standard size. Should you prefer, you can ask your steward for shrimp cocktail each night in lew of the canapes. Right down the hall will be the spiral staircase to the gym if you'd rather take it than the main stairs. You will have close access to the forward elevators, but noise has never been a problem for us. The one draw back, if you want to call it that, is going down to deck five on the forward lifts then having to walk all the way aft to get to Blu. We enjoy it for the people watching (and a stop at the world bar or martini bar on 4) so enjoy!!

When I read standard size balcony, I looked at my luggage tags again. We are in 1552 and the balcony is oversized.

We only have one sea day on this cruise, unfortunately.

Thanks for the tip about the elevators....we got mixed up many times on our last Summit cruise and would go up to deck 11 and then we'd have to walk outside to get to our hallway where the Aqua cabins were. :o ;)

just off equinox and i'm a big fan of blu. i try to eat healthy and never had so much healthy food in my life. but also offered lamb shank and wonderful boneless short ribs another night. the service is perfect and the atmosphere very comfortable and not noisy at all. tables are close together but that didn't bother me. just like most nyc restaurants. i always eat at 8pm and the tables next to me were never occupied. blu is my reason for booking aqua class in the future.

Equinox 12 day Med. Upgaded to Blu to give it a try. Cabin and perks not as nice as Concierge 3. Storage less than adequate as well as bed too close to closet.

BLU was over hyped, IMHO. Rather eat in Sp Rest. The so called healthy food may have less fat or smaller servings but compensates with more sugar. One can eat equally as "healthy" on other venues on ship. I think it has become more of a status thing....to each his own.

Went back to C3.

Equinox 12 day Med. Upgaded to Blu to give it a try. Cabin and perks not as nice as Concierge 3. Storage less than adequate as well as bed too close to closet.

BLU was over hyped, IMHO. Rather eat in Sp Rest. The so called healthy food may have less fat or smaller servings but compensates with more sugar. One can eat equally as "healthy" on other venues on ship. I think it has become more of a status thing....to each his own.

Went back to C3.

Could you explain what C3 cabins have that Aqua Class cabins don't? And which Concierge perks are better?

if you are eating in blu and see something on the mdr menu that really looks good to you, all you have to do is ask your waiter to bring it to you. they are more than happy to bring any mdr item to you in blu. i never had a request turned down. in fact, in my opinion, they don't know the word "no" in blu. they are very accommodating.

but if you're going to order off the mdr menu every night, while dining in blu, then it doesn't make sense to choose aqua class to me.

• 1 month later...
if you are eating in blu and see something on the mdr menu that really looks good to you, all you have to do is ask your waiter to bring it to you. they are more than happy to bring any mdr item to you in blu. i never had a request turned down. in fact, in my opinion, they don't know the word "no" in blu. they are very accommodating.

but if you're going to order off the mdr menu every night, while dining in blu, then it doesn't make sense to choose aqua class to me.

Do they give you the MDR menus in Blu? Last time we were in Blu, they only gave us the Blu menu. Didn't know I could order something off the MDR menu. There are some things we like from there, so this would be great if we could order off that menu occasionally.

Do they give you the MDR menus in Blu? Last time we were in Blu, they only gave us the Blu menu. Didn't know I could order something off the MDR menu. There are some things we like from there, so this would be great if we could order off that menu occasionally.

Do they automatically give you a dining room menu in Blu? Nope.

You can look outside of the main dining room every day to see what is

being offered for dinner every night. If you see something you like?

Talk to your waiter.

Do they automatically give you a dining room menu in Blu? Nope.

You can look outside of the main dining room every day to see what is

being offered for dinner every night. If you see something you like?

Talk to your waiter.

This is something I would not do. To each their own. I do hope you gave extra tips. I have heard that it is easier to get items off the MDR menu if your cruising on a M Class ship. As Blu and MDR share the same kitchen.

We normally book Aqua or Suites. In Luminae they give us both MDR and Luminae menus with out asking us. I enjoyed ordering off both menus.

This is something I would not do. To each their own. I do hope you gave extra tips. I have heard that it is easier to get items off the MDR menu if your cruising on a M Class ship. As Blu and MDR share the same kitchen.

We normally book Aqua or Suites. In Luminae they give us both MDR and Luminae menus with out asking us. I enjoyed ordering off both menus.

I did not do it either and no I didn't tip extra......I was just giving an

answer to the poster's question about the menu. They were asking about

the dining room menu. I have been in Aqua twice and thought the menu

was quite good.

The reason I said speak to their waiter...that would be who to ask about

getting something from that dining room menu.

Edited by Lois R

My husband and I love escargot, so we did order that from the MDR twice during our cruise for our appetizer. Also, I prefer drawn butter with my lobster, which they were also willing to provide when I asked. I haven't tried the MDR with Celebrity, but I can say it was more like eating in a restaurant, than a dining room that feels like a banquet hall. We are pretty used to restaurants that have tables very close, or even those tables for two that share a long bench seat down an entire wall. We enjoyed every meal there, and our service was excellent!