New York Times article

I'm a Bernie Sanders supporter, but I don't think luxury vacations should be a basic right like access to affordable healthcare, education, and a living wage. Actually, let the 1-5% pay the MUCH higher fares, and I'm sure it helps subsidize my lower fare. ;-)

Guess where the money to pay for those "basic rights" come from - the guy paying 20K for the suite. Just like he is subsidizing your cruise he's subsidizing those "basic right". And if you punish him enough he'll take his money and go elsewhere, but maybe still cruise in that 20K suite.:cool:

I just want to know if those in these special cabins have easier access to life boats in case of an emergency. If they are separated from the masses on the ship, do they also have priority when it comes to evacuation?

Only if they tip the person loading the lifeboat.:p

I just want to know if those in these special cabins have easier access to life boats in case of an emergency. If they are separated from the masses on the ship, do they also have priority when it comes to evacuation?

No, I've been on these ships and the muster stations are the same for everyone. The Haven guests still need to come down to the lower decks. If anything, it would take them longer to get there. ;)

I think that we all understand that the super rich don't cruise on cruise ships, they have their mega yachts.

I was looking at the Maho beach web cam the other day, and started looking at the airplanes parked at Princess Juliana. There were 2 Boeing private jets there, and Googling their registrations showed them to be owned by Russian billionaires, who were there to cruise on their super yachts, one of which was anchored off of the coast.

Also found an article by the airport manager, who said they had an issue with having enough space to park all of the private jets. There is a bay right next to the airport, just a short walk , where these people keep their boats in the winter.

As a past Haven cruiser and a future RCCL cruiser, I'd like to chime in here. I thought this article was ridiculous. The super-rich aren't cruising on NCL. Haven guests aren't paying $30,000. My last Haven sailing on the Getaway this year was $4500 total for 7 nights for 3 of us including all beverages, specialty dining, and $550 OBC. My upcoming Royal Caribbean cruise (granted, a charter) is 3 nights at just over $4000 for the 2 of us in a Grand Suite. I'm fine with it, because it's how I want to spend my vacation dollars as a member of the not-even-remotely-super-rich-but-I-work-hard-to-enjoy-nice-vacations class. This article was designed for the NYT target audience and to stir up some vague idea of class warfare. Never mind that it has been going on for centuries, and that everyone typically pays for the level of service they desire and can afford. Should I be offended at first-class seating on international flights? At business class seats? At club-level rooms and suites in hotels? Silliness abounds in this article, in my opinion. I'm happy to continue to have options when planning my vacations, and am hoping that NCL and RCCL remain different enough for me to enjoy both in the coming years.

Did anyone else see the article today on the front page of the New York Times, "In an Age of Privilege, Not Everyone Is On the Same Boat"? The article was mostly about the increasing gap between not just the poor, and middle class, but between the rich and the super rich. The journalist used a couple of examples from Norwegian Cruise Line and Royal Caribbean and how these two companies are going after the super wealthy and how they will be accommodated even beyond a first class cabin. NCL is doing it more on the sly than RC, so those contrasts were very interesting. I've never cruised so I don't really know what to think, but wondered what all the experienced cruisers thought about it. I'm interested to hear your thoughts, especially as it relates to whether this is the wave of the future for cruising and what you think about the strategy in general. What does it mean for the rest of us, if anything?

The uber rich don't cruise with peons on mainstream cruise lines. They charter their own yachts.

I don't think that anyone thinks that Russian oligarchs are the ones buying up the suites. When they say 'super rich', it's relatively speaking.

It does seem that they are trying to cater to the more free-spending traveler, and that's ok, but the 'average' experience does seem to be declining. As for the suite passengers 'subsidizing' the other travelers? I don't think so. Any extra money made is certainly not making its way back to Mr. Budget. He's paying full price for his cheaper experience, on his own.

I also think that the people who think the article is silly are not the ones trying hard to make ends meet. It's tough out there and it's not just in terms of vacation planning.

If someone wants a more exclusive experience I think other cruise lines are better equipped for that, but I guess profits are good if they keep improving their higher end experience.

I'm a Bernie Sanders supporter, but I don't think luxury vacations should be a basic right like access to affordable healthcare, education, and a living wage.

Nor does any Sanders supporter. The post you replied to is so off-the-wall regarding Sanders' positions that it almost appears to be flamebait.

I think that we all understand that the super rich don't cruise on cruise ships, they have their mega yachts.

I was looking at the Maho beach web cam the other day, and started looking at the airplanes parked at Princess Juliana. There were 2 Boeing private jets there, and Googling their registrations showed them to be owned by Russian billionaires, who were there to cruise on their super yachts, one of which was anchored off of the coast.

Also found an article by the airport manager, who said they had an issue with having enough space to park all of the private jets. There is a bay right next to the airport, just a short walk , where these people keep their boats in the winter.

The uber rich don't cruise with peons on mainstream cruise lines. They charter their own yachts.

I travel in Suites only but if I could afford a Yacht I wouldn't buy one nor charter one.

I am afraid of Pirates (Captain Philips Style not Johnny Depp style) and my lady gets sea sick on small ships. (We have Empress booked and are very concerned about it now. We got her sea sickness mechanical watch, pills etc. Just in case).

I am sure if the uber rich people are in the same "boat" as us they would cruise mainstream. We certainly would. Maybe the rich wouldn't cruise Royal? But Maybe So? We love Royal and would probably still sail with them if we were powerball winners.

We are booked on Crystals for Jan 2017, if you don't see me posting here from January 2017 onward ignore this post, I was wrong and have defected.

Edited by Garavar

The few times we've tried specialty dining - mainly to burn up some OBCs - we were not all that impressed. We don't cruise for gourmet food and find the food in the MDR and other included venues perfectly adequate to keep body and soul together.

We cruise for the adventure it offers to see parts of the world that we might not otherwise visit. We use a cruise as a leisurely way to get to Europe sometimes. We enjoy days at sea on a promenade deck with a good book and a cup of coffee. We enjoy the guest lecturers and other forms of entertainment. And, we enjoy meeting new people.

Do I worry that some schmuck is willing to fork over $30,000 for a luxury cruise cabin when I fork over only $4,000. Heck no. For his 30K, I can take 6-8 cruises.

I'm probably having a better time than he is anyway.:)

Well said. I think the same way. Sometimes people have more money than sense.

What is 'uber rich' ? I looked it up and it said the elite, upper class, billionaires and multi millionaires. Many celebrities go on cruise ships. We have no way of knowing what fellow passengers net worth is. I'm sure some who are 'uber rich' want the excitement that happens on cruise ships, just like we do, only with better accommodations :D

What is 'uber rich' ? I looked it up and it said the elite, upper class, billionaires and multi millionaires. Many celebrities go on cruise ships. We have no way of knowing what fellow passengers net worth is. I'm sure some who are 'uber rich' want the excitement that happens on cruise ships, just like we do, only with better accommodations :D

Uber Rich is defined differently by people depending on their preception of wealth.

To me you are "Uber Rich" if you could afford to buy your own cruise ship without making the slighest dent in your bank accountant.

Uber Rich is defined differently by people depending on their preception of wealth.

To me you are "Uber Rich" if you could afford to buy your own cruise ship without making the slighest dent in your bank accountant.

This is true and I also notice my rich friends never admit they are rich...they are just 'well off'....maybe because they aren't rich enough to buy a cruise ship? :D .

As a past Haven cruiser and a future RCCL cruiser, I'd like to chime in here. I thought this article was ridiculous. The super-rich aren't cruising on NCL. Haven guests aren't paying $30,000. My last Haven sailing on the Getaway this year was $4500 total for 7 nights for 3 of us including all beverages, specialty dining, and $550 OBC. My upcoming Royal Caribbean cruise (granted, a charter) is 3 nights at just over $4000 for the 2 of us in a Grand Suite. I'm fine with it, because it's how I want to spend my vacation dollars as a member of the not-even-remotely-super-rich-but-I-work-hard-to-enjoy-nice-vacations class. This article was designed for the NYT target audience and to stir up some vague idea of class warfare. Never mind that it has been going on for centuries, and that everyone typically pays for the level of service they desire and can afford. Should I be offended at first-class seating on international flights? At business class seats? At club-level rooms and suites in hotels? Silliness abounds in this article, in my opinion. I'm happy to continue to have options when planning my vacations, and am hoping that NCL and RCCL remain different enough for me to enjoy both in the coming years.

I appreciate your position and final note that there is a class system based on cost of services elsewhere and people shouldn't be offended by the other options out there.

Even though my hubby and I are in our 30s and make very good money, many people/business blow us off because we look young. Our last experience in MTD was the same waiter gave better service to a couple literally right next to us (about 20 years older) and barely paid any attention to us. They have no idea how deep a person's pockets are. They only know someone had at least enough money for a suite because of a gold card.

And to point something out about offering an option to the rich folks, it's a simple supply and demand thing. Someone at RCI did the market research, possibly even focus groups and found out if they offer fancier accommodations and amazing perks for guests willing to pay that premium, there are people out there interested...and so, they happily will sell that product. Business is bottom line, and there's a healthy market for it otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

Lastly, for those (like the article's author) that point out disparity with income on a subject such cruise vacations is already studying something that is substantially favoring those that can afford to pay for a cruise, airfare, etc to begin with. So you start off with a disparity between poor (assuming these are a category of people who don't vacation and can't afford to) and a varying group of those that can, on a scale of those who sail interior cabins to those that spring $30k for a premium suite on RCI's newest ship that has more square footage than my house. It's a ridiculous and silly debate that shouldn't be a debate to begin with.

Someone posted the same article on the NCL board, where numerous folks have commented (correctly I think) that the super rich are not cruising on NCL, not even in the "Haven." BTW, check out the photo in that article of the Haven enclosed "pool" area. I put pool in quotes because it's nothing you can swim in; we saw this space recently on the NCL Gem and found nothing appealing about it. But if people want to pay for it (and apparently they do), NCL will keep selling it to them.

I agree, rich people don't go to a cruise no matter what section it's called, they simply hate going to a cruise. Real rich people have their own cruise ship lol

It's funny when we look to the suite section those boarding on the oasis class ship and some have a face of " I am rich on a suite, believe me you might not be that rich"

Edited by mcatmcat

Haven is not exactly for the "Super rich" - I could get a Haven suite for the price of a Royal JS - easily. ;)

It's all how you look at it. With Royal's new "Royal Genie" - which is suppose to directly compete with Norwegian's butlers, it will still be more expensive on most Royal ships with the Royal genie than any Norwegian Haven. I've seen enough people "complain" about that fact. And to that I tell them it's all supply/demand. More people are willing to pay higher prices for Royal and it keeps the prices higher, period.

But easily, I can get a Haven for less than Royal. It's not difficult. And it's not for "super rich"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most people who book suites don't do so because they think they are better than anyone else they just spend their money differently. They find value in what a suite offers. Not everyone finds value in a large room , private pool, sundeck, restaurant, lounge or a butler/genie. If you do you pay for it, if you don't you book something different.

I agree Royals suites are more expensive than NCL. We are looking forward to our first Haven 2 bed 2 bath on Escape this summer. I love the ship within a ship design. I can enjoy the quiet Haven area while my kids enjoy the water slides and ropes course. On Escape its about 10K for this summer on Harmony its about 14k and up for something similar, next summer. Sure people get in them for less on different ships different times.

The butler or royal genie are not why I would book a suite, I don't find value in that. Its more about the space and I can get that by booking 2 rooms. I might be singing a different tune after my first suite experience.

Those booking a 30K suite may not be all that rich either, they could be leveraged to the max with a negative net worth. Near where I live there are several neighborhoods with what we call see-through McMansions. Big house, but little furniture. Two expensive cars in the driveway, but both are probably leased. It's an image need that some people have. Watch the spikeTV show "Life or Debt" on Sunday evenings and you'll see how many clueless people there are living a lifestyle on credit.

:eek:

Looking at the port St Maarten webcam this morning , we see Adventure and Norwegian Gem docked.

Also there is a super Yacht called Alfa Nero. Charter rates quoted for a week will be 750000 euro in the winter and 840000 euro in the summer.

This is the cost for the yacht and its crew of 26. It is not stated whether this includes fuel cost. All of this for 12 guests. Probably about $80000 per person.

In case anyone wonders where the really rich people are.

Edited by mo&fran

Sounds like something some Bernie Sanders supporter would write - oh, wait, most of the NYT staff is like that.:rolleyes:

Bernie should start his own cruise line for his "Everyone is in the same boat" crowd. They all could take their turn rowing, shoveling coal into the steam engines or cleaning the rest rooms. Equality for ALL, at the expense of those who earned their own way!

I see a couple of issues, one I have already alluded to, i.e. blocking off large portions of the pool deck on the NCL Getaway turned it into a disaster in my books. Overcrowded, loud, a pool area that was simply not inviting to be around.

The other reason, and I have seen this at play several times, is that this exclusivity creates an entitlement that really turns me off. Example - I saw a suite person, waiting to board an RCI ship a couple years ago, giving merry old hell to a poor RCI employee who was directing people to their waiting areas while we waited for the ship to be cleared for embarkation. Why was she giving her the business? Because she was a D++ Extra special Suite person and she wanted her friends to get in the same line as her, even though they were in steerage like the rest of us hobos. I've seen people in line wanting to be served first because they're special - the list goes on. Its such a huge turn off for me. And in may cases I'd be willing to bet that long term customers are getting this "vibe" while first timer's who happen to be in suites thumb their noses. Its just creating an ill feeling among long term cruisers and long term cruises have paid the bills for these cruise companies for many years.

Wow what a thread!!

Hey you know what, I'm very fine with my ocean view balcony, nothing special just a place to sleep and watch the water go by. A guy who is happy that he can just be on the cruise in the first place.

I have friend who would not by groceries for a week to afford a Suite, just because he want that "STATUS". I say whatever, if you want it and all perks that go with it and that's what you want to do with what little vacation money you have than go for it.

For me keep I like the "KISS" method, I'm very happy.

Will I ever book a Suite? Maybe someday if the price is right, I mean I can afford it but as of now I just can see spending double for a JS that's only a little bigger than what I can get for half the price. I'd rather take two cruises the same price. That's just me though.

TG

I always figure that people with a very visible sense of entitlement and/or who are demanding and rude - especially with service people - must be really unhappy internally. Same with those who flaunt their so-called status. They go through life leaving a trail of bad karma that eventually catches up with them.