New York Times article

Did anyone else see the article today on the front page of the New York Times, "In an Age of Privilege, Not Everyone Is On the Same Boat"? The article was mostly about the increasing gap between not just the poor, and middle class, but between the rich and the super rich. The journalist used a couple of examples from Norwegian Cruise Line and Royal Caribbean and how these two companies are going after the super wealthy and how they will be accommodated even beyond a first class cabin. NCL is doing it more on the sly than RC, so those contrasts were very interesting. I've never cruised so I don't really know what to think, but wondered what all the experienced cruisers thought about it. I'm interested to hear your thoughts, especially as it relates to whether this is the wave of the future for cruising and what you think about the strategy in general. What does it mean for the rest of us, if anything?

That was very interesting reading. Forget cruiseships, it's sad and frightening that the whole world is getting like this.

The comments at the end are worth reading, as well.

Edited by marci22

The ship within a ship concept does not apeal to me, It's still a cruise ship of which everyone should be able to access all areas and not have parts of the ship locked off to a "better" crowd, for this you have Crystal Cruises, Ms Europa 1 and 2 Boreal etc. hence the concept from Norwegian and soon MSC does not makecsense, they should rather segregate this premium business by operating a exclusive arm of small luxury ships.

How RCL is handling it to offer it's premium passengers perks such as a lounge, special restaurant, premium seating for shows etc is how it should be. Obviously when you book a suite you deserve extra perks and amenities, however these passengers are also part of the ship, as it should be.

How RCL is handling it to offer it's premium passengers perks such as a lounge, special restaurant, premium seating for shows etc is how it should be. Obviously when you book a suite you deserve extra perks and amenities, however these passengers are also part of the ship, as it should be.

They are part of the ship in the sense that they are not sequestered in one area, but they are still getting better food and service on a daily basis compared to those who pay for 'regular cabins'. People are still booking so no reason for them to upgrade offerings at the lower price point.

Royal's terrible treatment of the Empress cruisers is another thing to consider. The people who got hurt most were the ones who can least afford it. I think it bothered many people who were in no way affected by the cancellations. Some things are just not right. How much profit is enough?

The ship within a ship concept does not apeal to me, It's still a cruise ship of which everyone should be able to access all areas and not have parts of the ship locked off to a "better" crowd, for this you have Crystal Cruises, Ms Europa 1 and 2 Boreal etc. hence the concept from Norwegian and soon MSC does not makecsense, they should rather segregate this premium business by operating a exclusive arm of small luxury ships.

You state that "everyone should be able to access all areas" but then you say that offering premium passengers their own lounge and special restaurant is OK? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing; I'm just confused. :confused:

Edited by time4u2go

Great article. Made me laugh as yes, the Coastal Kitchen for suites is just in front of the Windjammer Cafe for the masses on the Anthem. Perhaps Royal should follow Norwegian's patterns more closely as their program i/m/o is better. Vicki

Someone posted the same article on the NCL board, where numerous folks have commented (correctly I think) that the super rich are not cruising on NCL, not even in the "Haven." BTW, check out the photo in that article of the Haven enclosed "pool" area. I put pool in quotes because it's nothing you can swim in; we saw this space recently on the NCL Gem and found nothing appealing about it. But if people want to pay for it (and apparently they do), NCL will keep selling it to them.

That was very interesting reading. Forget cruiseships, it's sad and frightening that the whole world is getting like this.

The comments at the end are worth reading, as well.

Comments are always better than most articles

Someone posted the same article on the NCL board, where numerous folks have commented (correctly I think) that the super rich are not cruising on NCL, not even in the "Haven." BTW, check out the photo in that article of the Haven enclosed "pool" area. I put pool in quotes because it's nothing you can swim in; we saw this space recently on the NCL Gem and found nothing appealing about it. But if people want to pay for it (and apparently they do), NCL will keep selling it to them.

We had access to that pool prior to the Haven program. We never went because it was nowhere near our suite.

When we want "luxury", we do not want thousands and thousands of other people around us. That is not what we look for in a cruise. We look for diversity of activities, ports, entertainment, fun, and value. The "extras" are the icing that keeps us coming back. And as those get chipped away, then we choose other vacation options more. Enticing a rich family to cruise once won't make up for the losses.

As one of those who worked hard to get into the $2 million asset category, I don't really feel much sympathy for those who want to tax me more for the benefit of the less ambitious.

I am not jealous of the super rich, so long as they earned the money through honest work.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Our solution was to cruise with Seabourn. I appreciate there may be some people who want the Royal Caribbean trimmings but the communal areas are still geared towards large numbers of low revenue cargo. When you want to use the flowrider do you have a man who keeps holding back the masses sending you to the front of the queue each time? If so the hatred towards you and snide comments would surely spoil the fun.

You can book exclusive use but not generally in peak times.

Far better to have free run of a ship where everyone is in the same boat, be that a cruise ship or private charter yacht.

Henry :)

T

Must have been a slow news day.

Certainly not - pressing of the agenda everyday; one must try to pit everyone against the 1%, well, because it's just not fair and someone must knock them down a peg. How dare they get a $30K suite?

Edited by Biker19

I subscribe to the tightwad model of cruising and don't worry about what those who pay for the exclusive extras are getting because I figure they are helping subsidize the cost of my cruise. As long as I have a good travelling companion - She Who Must Be Obeyed - we can have a good cruise on just about any ship. (well we did make a mistake and booked a cruise on the NCL Epic, but that's another story) After all, a so-so day at sea is better that a good day at the office.

As far as income inequality, there will always be income inequality. If you don't like how your income compares to others, put some hustle in your bustle, some pep in your step, and get out there and make some more money. If that's important to you. Me? I prefer to live slightly below my means and enjoy each day for the gift that it is. You never see a U-Haul truck following a hearse.;)

I remember well my first ship where I saw specialty restaurants. At the time the food in the MDR was so good I thought "why would I pay extra when this food is as good as it is, better than anything I have ever eaten in my life". I distinctly recall thinking that this was a foot in the door and if cruisers went for it, we'd see the separation of cruisers and a dumbing down of the product for those who chose not to partake in a specialty dining venue. Well, exactly that has happened. To get a high quality meal on the same level as I experienced on my very first cruise 15 years ago, I have to pay extra. Of course, as we all know, they've even managed to tier the specialty restaurants now and Chops is now no longer the deal it once was.

Now we're seeing the tiering of the entire ship and I have to say it was very noticeable on NCL (the Getaway) when we sailed on that ship in March. Large areas of the pool deck were inaccessible to the "regular folk" like us and the result was a pool deck so overcrowded and loud that I spent only a couple hours up there all week. You just could not find peace and quiet anywhere. It was so bad that I will not go back on that class of ship again even though I was impressed with the food and the service. So the cruise companies are walking a fine line here, they better be careful. It takes years to earn a good reputation, it can be lost overnight.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

"Even though this kind of pampering might be good for business, and delight those on the right side of the velvet rope, the gap between the privileged and the rest may ultimately leave everyone feeling uneasy." said Barry J. Nalebuff, a professor of management at Yale.

While the article is interesting, I certainly am offended my some of the things said. For example, that quote above - feeling uneasy about the gap between, say me in an inside and someone whom I don't even know in a Royal Suite Loft or Haven? Absolutely not. How shallow does the author think people are? And - I would venture to say that ALL people who cruise are privileged in that they get to go. I bet a ton of people who don't already cruise would love to, but they have higher priorities.

It takes years to earn a good reputation, it can be lost overnight.

There have been plenty of folks on here suggesting that DD, C&A benefit cuts, mediocre food, higher prices, Empress cancellations, suicidal Anthem captain, etc. will lead to the demise of RCI - yet, bookings are strong and profit is good. Unless you have a Concordia type event, unlikely RCI will lose its reputation.

Haven is not exactly for the "Super rich" - I could get a Haven suite for the price of a Royal JS - easily. ;)

It's all how you look at it. With Royal's new "Royal Genie" - which is suppose to directly compete with Norwegian's butlers, it will still be more expensive on most Royal ships with the Royal genie than any Norwegian Haven. I've seen enough people "complain" about that fact. And to that I tell them it's all supply/demand. More people are willing to pay higher prices for Royal and it keeps the prices higher, period.

But easily, I can get a Haven for less than Royal. It's not difficult. And it's not for "super rich"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The few times we've tried specialty dining - mainly to burn up some OBCs - we were not all that impressed. We don't cruise for gourmet food and find the food in the MDR and other included venues perfectly adequate to keep body and soul together.

We cruise for the adventure it offers to see parts of the world that we might not otherwise visit. We use a cruise as a leisurely way to get to Europe sometimes. We enjoy days at sea on a promenade deck with a good book and a cup of coffee. We enjoy the guest lecturers and other forms of entertainment. And, we enjoy meeting new people.

Do I worry that some schmuck is willing to fork over $30,000 for a luxury cruise cabin when I fork over only $4,000. Heck no. For his 30K, I can take 6-8 cruises.

I'm probably having a better time than he is anyway.:)

This all reminds me of the 1st, 2nd and steerage classes of the days of yore. I don't mind the "upper crust" getting extra perks as long as I still feel welcome and not treated as an afterthought just because I was cruising in an interior stateroom. Time will tell but I hope that RCCL remembers that we may not be in the upper moneyed echelons but should still be treated as valued customers - and after all, someone has to fill the less luxurious staterooms!

Sounds like something some Bernie Sanders supporter would write - oh, wait, most of the NYT staff is like that.:rolleyes:

I'm a Bernie Sanders supporter, but I don't think luxury vacations should be a basic right like access to affordable healthcare, education, and a living wage. Actually, let the 1-5% pay the MUCH higher fares, and I'm sure it helps subsidize my lower fare. ;-) They need to feel like they're getting something for their ~$20,000, and if they think a special pool or lounge or dining room or seat is worth that much money, let them have it. Yet, I did cringe a bit about this part of the article:

At its debut in 2006, the Haven was swamped by tourists from regular quarters who paid $200 to upgrade to one of its 40 or so rooms, Mr. Sheehan recalled.

So he ordered an immediate halt to the upgrades, which undercut profit margins and undermined the Haven’s main selling point, exclusivity.

“We needed to fill the Haven by getting the right people on the ship,” said Mr. Sheehan, who stepped down as chief executive last year. “When the masses overwhelmed the group in the Haven, they didn’t have the experience they were looking for."

Ok, I get that maybe $200 isn't a big enough threshold between the top tier and the peons, but for a CEO to verbalize that you masses aren't good enough to rub shoulders with the elite--yikes! Is that why he's FORMER CEO? You can't insult your customer base like that--at least not out loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Bound4Bermuda

I just want to know if those in these special cabins have easier access to life boats in case of an emergency. If they are separated from the masses on the ship, do they also have priority when it comes to evacuation?