Carnival eliminating mini bars, will Royal follow?

“By the end of this month, all the ships that have mini bars in the cabins will have them emptied and used for storage of your ordered bottled water or for whatever you wish.”

This will be great!

On Adventure last month it was empty and the room steward said it was new standard policy on the ship. GREAT! For what it's worth she said one of the reasons was that they were tired of dealing with complaints from people being charged for things they hadn't used, and spending too much time subsequently correcting the room charges.

I wish they would put real mini refrigerators in instead of the coolers now. That would be wonderful. It was so difficult this past week to keep our water nice and cold as well as other drinks. It is almost useless if you want your drinks cold.

Wow, you tell someone to tell someone else to do it? In 60 seconds, you could do it yourself. ;)

I just don't want to be charged for any of the items. Thought that was the only way safe way to do it.

I just don't want to be charged for any of the items. Thought that was the only way safe way to do it.

Understood. :) You can leave a little note to say you have moved the items. We actually even take a picture of the inside of the fridge when we first get into the cabin, and then again if we move the items. Have never had a problem. :)

Understood. :) You can leave a little note to say you have moved the items. We actually even take a picture of the inside of the fridge when we first get into the cabin, and then again if we move the items. Have never had a problem. :)

What does the picture prove? 2 seconds after you take the pic, you can drink something. Or 2 seconds before you take the pic.

The mini bar on Jewel still had their stuff in it March 13, 2016...I was hoping it would be empty. But since I now set up my Seapass as a cash account, they can no longer charge me for mini bar items I absolutely did not touch. I've been on ships where I've asked the cabin steward to empty it and they've said "no", bar services has to and I was never around when bar services came around each day to tally the items in the mini bar.

“By the end of this month, all the ships that have mini bars in the cabins will have them emptied and used for storage of your ordered bottled water or for whatever you wish.”

Great! They've always been useless to me. :D

On Adventure last month it was empty and the room steward said it was new standard policy on the ship. GREAT! For what it's worth she said one of the reasons was that they were tired of dealing with complaints from people being charged for things they hadn't used, and spending too much time subsequently correcting the room charges.

I can well understand that....the amount of time spent handling the issues, was probably incredible.

I am okay with them getting rid of their stuff, but as I read this thread, they may remove the fridge thus taking away my beer fridge! I clear out most of what they have in fridge and buy some Boddingtons for when I want one. Now may not have a place to keep them.

Oh well, won't be able to drink a beer as early as I use to.

Edited by shipshape sam

I still have trouble believing I'm in the minority here. I like the minibar. If it were like the hotels where they have the sensors if things are moved - I would get it.

If I want Pringles or Sprite at 3am I like the option. I've only ever had one wrong charge.

I still have trouble believing I'm in the minority here. I like the minibar. If it were like the hotels where they have the sensors if things are moved - I would get it.

If I want Pringles or Sprite at 3am I like the option. I've only ever had one wrong charge.

Agree, even with a beverage package and decent room service, there were times (albeit very few) where it just hits the spot. But, since we became recovering alcohol smugglers, the concept has more or less outlived its usefulness.

If I had to choose one thing to give up from the RCCL experience to "control cost" on the fleeting noting that lower cost = lower price... I'd probably choose this or anything with egg in the promenade cafe.

If only Royal would follow the Carnival lead on the bottled water as well. I have to say, John Heald's Facebook presence had lead to some nice changes. I'm surprised RC hasn't done the same with social media.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk