Embarkation question

mondas42

I couldn't care less when I embark as long as I make it before it sails! I've had a 3.30pm and a 1.30pm. It made no difference, I still had a bite to eat in the buffet. I just drive to Southampton at a time to suit the embarkation.
Unfortunately some of us don't have the ability to travel to Southampton on the day of departure, but due to location, have to travel the day before, stay overnight and check out of our hotel by 12:00 at the latest then hang around Southampton with all our baggage (only hand baggage as it is only a short cruise, so we will have none to check in) until 15:00.

But they can have lunch Off the ship, yes? Still can't understand the fuss about having lunch at embark day. I hate the buffet on embark day - it's absolute carnage.
As it is our first P&O sailing we'd like to try all the ship has to offer, including lunch on the day of embarkation, but looks like we won't be able to.

But they can have lunch Off the ship, yes? Still can't understand the fuss about having lunch at embark day. I hate the buffet on embark day - it's absolute carnage.

I don't worry about lunch on embarkation day either, but I do like to be on board by about 12:00pm so I can start to relax and enjoy the holiday; which of course I can with RCI/Celebrity, such a shame the P&O management chose to accept the Carnival takeover rather than the RCI merger back in 2003, ah well.:(

Unfortunately some of us don't have the ability to travel to Southampton on the day of departure, but due to location, have to travel the day before, stay overnight and check out of our hotel by 12:00 at the latest then hang around Southampton with all our baggage (only hand baggage as it is only a short cruise, so we will have none to check in) until 15:00.

/QUOTE]

Checking out of a hotel doesn't mean you have to leave the hotel. You can still use the hotel facilities until you are ready to leave.

David.

Checking out of a hotel doesn't mean you have to leave the hotel. You can still use the hotel facilities until you are ready to leave.

David.

Totally understand, but my view is my stay in that hotel is over and I move onto the next hotel, albeit a cruise ship. My opinion, my view and the way I like to move on to the next stage of my holiday.

Back to the original post.

I was just thinking that if P&O have a plan for each ship re embarkation times for certain decks for those of us not arriving on a coach or in a suite why not publish it? Those of us who want to get on earlier and not wait until 4pm (the time we were given last year) can then make an informed choice when picking a cabin.

Just an idea.

Back to the original post.

I was just thinking that if P&O have a plan for each ship re embarkation times for certain decks for those of us not arriving on a coach or in a suite why not publish it? Those of us who want to get on earlier and not wait until 4pm (the time we were given last year) can then make an informed choice when picking a cabin.

Just an idea.

Too obvious. Many of us who book select would choose a time that is not too close to the sailing time (in our case we would go for 2pm at the latest). This would mean that the late bookers would all be stuck with the less desirable times and they would then whinge, though IMO if they choose a late booking to save money then they have to accept whatever is available.

Too obvious. Many of us who book select would choose a time that is not too close to the sailing time (in our case we would go for 2pm at the latest). This would mean that the late bookers would all be stuck with the less desirable times and they would then whinge, though IMO if they choose a late booking to save money then they have to accept whatever is available.

Am with you on this one - isn't that called being fair ? ;)

Would the people who moan the most, accept that if time of boarding is done when booking, and their time is gone that they graciously accept the time they are given/have to choose and stick to that time, even if its 3.30pm. Not turn up at 12.00 and say but this is the time I wanted.

This way those who pay the most get on first.

Or don't Carnival do some thing called run to the sun of something. You pay a silly amount of money ,and I mean silly and get to board early.

Either way Pando get more money via more select fare bookings or paying to board early.

.....accept that if time of boarding is done when booking, and their time is gone that they graciously accept the time they are given/have to choose and stick to that time, even if its 3.30pm. Not turn up at 12.00 and say but this is the time I wanted.

Hmm, not sure people would accept it when you consider how many people can't accept not getting their dining preferences.

Edited by Scriv

/QUOTE]

David.

You cannot do that if you stay in a Travelodge because some if not all have any facilities so once you have vacated your room the only place is the foyer.

Would the people who moan the most, accept that if time of boarding is done when booking, and their time is gone that they graciously accept the time they are given/have to choose and stick to that time, even if its 3.30pm. Not turn up at 12.00 and say but this is the time I wanted.

This way those who pay the most get on first.

Or don't Carnival do some thing called run to the sun of something. You pay a silly amount of money ,and I mean silly and get to board early.

Either way Pando get more money via more select fare bookings or paying to board early.

Carnival do 'Faster to the Fun' which is strictly capacity controlled, so not everyone can purchase it.

It used to cost $49.95 per stateroom and gives you:

1. Priority Embarkation
  2. Guaranteed immediate access to your cabin
  3. Express Baggage delivery
  4. Priority Main Dining Room and Speciality Restaurant reservations
  5. Tender Priority (where necessary)
  6. Separate priority line at Guest Services and dedicated phone line
  7. Early disembarkation on arrival back to port

So for 2 people that's $25 per person, which is around £17 each and not a silly amount IMHO as this cost amounted to only 3.07% of the total cost of the cruise for both of us in an aft extended balcony cabin.

It was excellent value IMHO when we boarded a Carnival ship after we disembarked from a RCI ship the same day at 9:00 am! We were on board Carnival by 11:30 am (we did spend an hour or so at a local restaurant for breakfast), straight to the cabin, our bags were there and we unpacked for our 2nd cruise!

I'd happily pay that to get on board Azura on the 28th May by 11:30!

Edited by peteukmcr

We have stayed in many hotels in various parts of the world, from the low cost chains to the high end hotels ALL have had a earliest check in time, and people don't go on and on about that. I'm not really a fan of the new boarding time system, we have been given 3.00pm (which is about normal for a hotel), how many of the people on here that are moaning about it have contacted P&O's customer services department and had there say, or do they just moan and groan and do nothing about it.

This is the system P&O have adopted either accept it, accept it but complain to the people that might change it or move to a different cruise line.

Nobody on here can do anything about it so complain to the right people

We have stayed in many hotels in various parts of the world, from the low cost chains to the high end hotels ALL have had a earliest check in time, and people don't go on and on about that. I'm not really a fan of the new boarding time system, we have been given 3.00pm (which is about normal for a hotel), how many of the people on here that are moaning about it have contacted P&O's customer services department and had there say, or do they just moan and groan and do nothing about it.

This is the system P&O have adopted either accept it, accept it but complain to the people that might change it or move to a different cruise line.

Nobody on here can do anything about it so complain to the right people

Our hotel and those like Premier Inn, Jurys Inn, Novotel, Ibis all in Southampton have 2pm check in which is fine by me.

However, in most hotels you can check in before 2pm, but that's the time the hotel will guarantee that your room will be available. Now that's no different than on RCI, Celebrity & Carnival. You check in and board before the time your cabin is guaranteed to be available (1pm or 1:30 pm on RCI & Celebrity rooms are ready), and take advantage of all the facilities just as you would in a hotel, and in most cases contribute to the revenue stream by purchasing beverages from the bars/cafes. Now, P&O are missing out on revenue opportunities because I will be contributing to land based establishments for lunch and beverages from hotel check out at 12 until check in time at the Mayflower terminal at 3pm!

Let's say that I spend £20 between 12 - 3pm, and only 50% of Azura's maximum passenger capacity of 3,597 spend £10 each in those 3 hours before they board the ship, that's still a nice revenue amount of £17,995 (that includes my £20!), nearly £18K each boarding day is not to be sniffed at! And that's only the possible missed revenue of 1 ship!

Now in the next 12 month period, Azura has 44 boarding days, so extrapolate that £18K and you have £792,000!

Across the P&O fleet there are 283 'boarding' days over the next 12 months! Even if they are missing only £10k per ship per boarding day that's £2.8 Million!

I have written to P&O, and asked a question on their Facebook page (which they advise they typically reply within 1 hour, but no reply yet and it's more than an hour since I asked!).

Edited by peteukmcr

Pete

'I'd happily pay that to get on board Azura on the 28th May by 11:30!'

I've just realised we are disembarking from Azura on the 28th May as you are waiting to embark! We'll get off as quickly as we can ;)

I have written to P&O, and asked a question on their Facebook page (which they advise they typically reply within 1 hour, but no reply yet and it's more than an hour since I asked!).

P&O's Facebook page isn't staffed over the weekend and maybe not Bank Holidays, so you might not get a reply until Tuesday

Edited by Scriv

Pete - I've just realised we are disembarking from Azura on the 28th May as you are waiting to embark! We'll get off as quickly as we can ;)
Don't worry I'm not expecting you, or anyone else to rush off the ship! But thank you.

However, my point is as you and others should now be very well aware :D, is even on RCI & Celebrity where they encourage all guests to disembark by around 9:30 am, at the latest 10 am, they are still in a position to start welcoming the next set of guests by 11:30 at the latest.

All this is subject to clearance by the port authority and local immigration officials, so it can change obviously, but this is generally the norm with these lines.

Edited by peteukmcr

This all sounds very familiar, have we not just discussed this?? No one has said anything new at all. What exactly is the point o this thread. The OP asked that that this would be a fact finding exercise. These are the same 'facts' which we have heard before.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by daiB

One thing is for sure, boarding times don't relate to the relative cost of your trip other than for suites. Choosing to book far in advance is a choice as is booking nearer the time and doesn't mean priority boarding. We all book in different ways for very good reasons!

We sailed on Ventura at Easter. Coloured, lettered cards were given out as we arrived based on e-ticket times. I have no issue with that. We were on board way before 'our time'. With the amount of people in the terminal I can see why cruise lines would want to stagger it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This all sounds very familiar, have we not just discussed this?? No one has said anything new at all. What exactly is the point o this thread. The OP asked that that this would be a fact finding exercise. These are the same 'facts' which we have heard before.

Just ignore this thread then Dai - simple!

It has been discussed before Dai, but the OP clearly hasn't found the info needed to avoid their post becoming necessary.

Why is someone who doesn't like something about P&O labelled a moaner. Not nice

I prefer to think of myself as a discerning customer

Well said. As someone who has been on P&O a fair few times I want them to appeal to people (and me) and issues such as strict boarding times just are not customer focused. As for being moaners, as an example 2 years back we went on our 2nd Celebrity cruise and noticed the included drinks package inclusions had been scaled back from what they advertised as being included. I started a thread on the Celebrity board which got over 2000 views and led to people posting on Facebook/Twitter. Within 36 hours Celebrity reversed their changes and to date the inclusions remain as they were.

Ok, maybe I was a moaner but it resulted in the Cruise line listening to the benefit of all. If we all roll over and accept changes then when does it end?

Actually I don't remember Carnival's 'Faster to the Fun' being discussed on other threads so I believe my post on the cost, how it works and the benefits it provides is new and maybe of interest to some, especially as P&O is part of the Carnival group so it could be another money spinner for the line.